The aircraft and the conveyor belt

So would the aircraft move forward then?

Due to the thrust coming from the engines, yes :)

Think about it this way. If you put a trundle wheel on a conveyor belt and held it fixed at the top, where would it go? Nowhere, however the weheel would spin as the belt moved under it. Now apply some forward motion to the top of the trundle wheel, it wont stay there, it will move forwards :)

I have no idea if this would work or not ( i suspect not) but if it did you would think that some Navy would be using it instead of catapults on Air craft carriers.

I have no idea if this would work or not ( i suspect not) but if it did you would think that some Navy would be using it instead of catapults on Air craft carriers.

Not really since the whole deck would have to be a treadmill which would make it useless for other people, tasks and things on deck. The mechanism they use to help 'launch' a plane is the same one that helps incoming planes land by displacing that energy.

Since it's an internal system with the exception of the cables, the deck is able to be used for the next plane, Helos and people. :)

Jamie

Not really since the whole deck would have to be a treadmill which would make it useless for other people, tasks and things on deck. The mechanism they use to help 'launch' a plane is the same one that helps incoming planes land by displacing that energy.

Since it's an internal system with the exception of the cables, the deck is able to be used for the next plane, Helos and people. :)

Jamie

Well true, but.. The whole deck would no more have to be a treadmill than the current "runway" area does... and whilst a plane is taking off or landing it can't be used for anything else anyway. Not unless you want to be run over by a fighter jet doing a million miles per hour.

But no doubt you are right, it was just a thought ;)

Top Bottom