The aircraft and the conveyor belt

Consider ourselves lucky he is not on this forum, or else he would've pushed the max characters allowed in a post explaining why it can :p

Having two commercial pilot brothers, I can well believe it - never ever ever get into an aeronautical or meteorological discussion with a professional pilot *yawn*

If the ground is moving backwards at the same speed as the wheels rotate...

Then the wheels will rotate in the opposite direction at an equal speed. But ... and I know you're pulling my leg, but I can't help myself ... they are not providing the forward thrust for the vehicle, so they have no impact on whether it will move forward or not.

Oh, sod it ... I give in. Watch Mythbusters, they explain it all in that espisode ... :mad:

The mythbusters episode is rather badly flawed, as the aircraft still has forward movement - the conveyer belt is not being retracted fast enough to keep the plane stationary, so the experiment has no real meaning.

You saw how it worked with the model one, right? Same thing with the big one. Same principle. It's not the contact with the ground that drives the plane forward. :p

The mythbusters episode is rather badly flawed, as the aircraft still has forward movement - the conveyer belt is not being retracted fast enough to keep the plane stationary, so the experiment has no real meaning.
You expect TV to actually be scientifically valid?!

There are quite a few flawed episodes that they've been called on.

If the brakes were applied to the wheels, would the aircraft sill move forward?

Nope. Same applies to any vehicle that relies on the free rotation of wheels to move. Apply brakes - no move.

The wheels and ground fundamentally affect how an aircraft moves forward before take-off.

True. They allow the aircraft to roll forward.

However - and this is the trick (and this is where the car / plane analogy falls down) they are not the driving force for moving it forward!! It doesn't rely on them to power it forward. That's the fundamental difference. The thrust / movement / forward motion is happening above the ground at the level of the propellers. ;)

If you replaced the plane wheels with something else that would allow friction and free movement, the plane would still take off.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

If you replaced the plane wheels with something else that would allow friction and free movement, the plane would still take off.
But we're not talking about skids, we're talking about wheels.

The wheel is what allows the plane to move forward by rotating.
If the ground moves backwards at the same rate there will be rotation but no forward motion.

The thrust of the airplane engines acts on the air, not on the ground. LMAO
Easy. The answer is yes because the thrust of the airplane engines acts on the air, not on the ground.

The thrust doesn't "act on the air". The thrust propels the jet forward in accordance with Newton's 3rd law - To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction: or the forces of two bodies on each other are always equal and are directed in opposite directions. Jet engines are in principle the same as rocket engines which operate without any air - the only difference is that jet engines use oxygen in the air for combustion while rocket engines carry their own oxygen supply.

Of particular interest is the notion of jet propelled animals, especially this bit from Wikipedia: In some dragonfly larvae, jet propulsion is achieved by the expulsion of water from a specialized cavity through the anus. Given the small size of the organism, a great speed is achieved.

How many runways move backwards ?
If the runway is parallel to a line of latitude, and you're going against the rotation of the earth, then quite a few! :p

Of particular interest is the notion of jet propelled animals, especially this bit from Wikipedia: In some dragonfly larvae, jet propulsion is achieved by the expulsion of water from a specialized cavity through the anus. Given the small size of the organism, a great speed is achieved. :eek:
So if you feed a dragonfly larvae queasy food, would he break the space / time barrier? :) Biochemical turbo boosts (or would it be called food injected performance enhancers?)

There are four forces at play...drag, lift, weight, and thrust. Two forces are "pro fly" and two are "anti fly". The wings deflect the air downward, resulting in an opposite reaction of upward lift. Thrust must also have enough force to overcome drag. Simply put, when thrust and lift overcome weight and drag, flight will occur. Conveyor belt or not. ;)

Btw, I love these threads. Roll the film haha

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With this set-up the plane will move forward, the conveyor belt will move backwards, and the surface of the wheels (rotating freely) will move twice the speed, which balances the difference.

Yes, its simple.

The wheels on a plane do not have any direct input to the power needed to take off, they are essentially free rolling, this means the action from a conveyor belt going backwards would just make the wheels spin faster, not move the plane backwards.

Top Bottom