1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The aircraft and the conveyor belt

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brogan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If an aircraft is on a conveyor belt which moves backwards at the same rate of acceleration as the thrust provided by the aircraft's engine, will it take off?

2. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

uummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... :confused:

3. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

What direction is the plane facing? With or against the direction of travel of the belt? And is the aircraft's engine currently providing that thrust, or is it switched off?

4. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Yes it could.

5. arabic

arabic Member

6. Brogan

The aircraft is facing in the opposite direction of the belt travel.

The speed of the conveyor exactly matches the thrust (forward speed) of the aircraft engine.

Or to put it another way, the aircraft will appear stationary.

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

nope...

8. Shelley

The thrust of the airplane engines acts on the air, not on the ground. LMAO

9. Trip

Trip Active Member

Easy. The answer is yes because the thrust of the airplane engines acts on the air, not on the ground.

edit: lol, we posted at the same time

Shelley likes this.
  10. Shelley

It's easy when you google it hey? :D *checks wording on shelley and trips posts*

11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Cheaters!

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

There is no air speed. No air is going over the wings. It cannot take off (unless you omitted something).

13. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

14. Shelley

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode97

I admit i did checkup unlike trip who made out he said it was easy which is why i laughed at the end of my post. If you check the word on both of our posts it's def confirmation that we are both cheats. lol

15. Brogan

The Mythbusters experiment was flawed as the conveyor did not move at the same speed as the thrust provided by the aircraft engine.

Imagine a car on a rolling road.
    Now if that car is a plane and it isn't moving forward in space as the conveyor is moving as fast as the wheels are (powered by the thrust of the engine), will it take off?

16. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Hum, I dunno then. I would still believe it would take off, but unless someone is able to perform a large scale experiment we won't know.

Of course, there is always the Harrier Jet... doesn't need a runway to take off! :)

[​IMG]

Jamie

Shelley and Jethro like this.
  17. Trip

Trip Active Member

Yup, I remember an episode on "Myth Busters" was on the very topic and they were able to actually physically prove the plane would be able to lift off.
    I remembered because I ended up in a very lengthy conversation with an engineer here at work (who, as luck would have it is a pilot) about that show. He told me more about the subject than I cared to know.
    Consider ourselves lucky he is not on this forum, or else he would've pushed the max characters allowed in a post explaining why it can :p Of course its like anything, if the conditions are right anything is possible.

Shelley likes this.
  18. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Only if that tree in the wood doesn't fall on top of it .... oops haven't had my drugs yet this morning .... er afternoon ...

19. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

+1 for Mythbusters ... cracking program. :)

Car analogy is flawed as it uses contact with the ground to enable its forward motion - plane uses air, so it doesn't matter what's happening to the ground underneath it. :)

20. Brogan

Yes it does as the aircraft wheels are in contact with the ground, which rotate once thrust is produced from the engine.

If the conveyor moves at the same speed as the wheels rotate...