So what would you like to see next at XenForo?

I don't think XenForo is having trouble pushing licenses. If they were the price would have changed in the past few years. You're just trying to get free licenses. I don't know how this thread turned into a marketing or sales debate but it's rather dumb. You keep mentioning big boards, numerous big boards are switching and honestly, big boards is the last reason to lower the price. If a big board wants a license, they can afford it I'm sure.

Nuances matter. Each are worthy in their own right - and I have clearly marked some as linked.

I didn't think a list would be forthcoming.

The problem however is that you assume free / bogof licenses would mean people would convert to XF just because of that.

Imports are not "simple" tasks, and just having a new software available/cheaper wont make it happen any quicker if at all.

Also, given the relatively low price point of entry into XenForo as it is... it isn't really a factor people consider either.

I don't think XenForo is having trouble pushing licenses. If they were the price would have changed in the past few years. You're just trying to get free licenses. I don't know how this thread turned into a marketing or sales debate but it's rather dumb. You keep mentioning big boards, numerous big boards are switching and honestly, big boards is the last reason to lower the price. If a big board wants a license, they can afford it I'm sure.

Of course they would. I already said it's not aimed at those who are (or are likely to) buy those XF licences anyway. It's about creating new sales opportunities, i.e. going for the sales that they are unlikely to otherwise get. I tried to explain why that is, using myself as an example. I don't think my situation is unique, in fact I'd hazard a guess to say up to 5 to 10% of existing XF customers have a number of domains that they think 'could' be used for a forum, and an offer like this might not just push them into doing it, but could actually encourage more of the same from other customers.

The problem however is that you assume free / bogof licenses would mean people would convert to XF just because of that.

Imports are not "simple" tasks, and just having a new software available/cheaper wont make it happen any quicker if at all.

Also, given the relatively low price point of entry into XenForo as it is... it isn't really a factor people consider either.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I make no firm assumptions. I talk about what could possibly happen. Could such an offer lead people to convert their portfolio of sites? I reckon so.

You are right that imports are not simple tasks (I actually used that as an argument for this offer in a previous post) where having such an offer might push people who were on the fence, or were leaning towards not doing it, to doing it. There is a psychological element to these offers too - everyone loves a bargain (even if in reality it is all in the mind).

Re the price point - I agree for a licence or two it is superb. But for trialling 10 or 20 sites? It becomes a barrier.

Re the price point - I agree for a licence or two it is superb. But for trialling 10 or 20 sites? It becomes a barrier.

Compare that to the other alternatives, we still end up 2 or even 3 times cheaper than the competition...*

*last time I checked

3 posts later, I'm still not sure why the price is being argued about.

Listen, it's simple. If you don't want to buy the best software at the lowest price because you're not confident in the community's potential... maybe you should be shopping for a free solution instead of asking XenForo to drop their license price to $70 (you're wanting to pay $70 per license when either ipb or vb will cost you nearly 3x as much [maybe more]). They offer small discounts for bulk licenses, it's been the same for years and it'll continue to be the same or probably increase over time.

I realize this forum is called "Off Topic" so lets avoid that joke in response to the rest of this paragraph. This thread was not about "How can XenForo be used on more low quality communities" it was about "What do you want to see from XenForo". If KAM wanted our opinion on how to sell software, they'd probably ask. I really think they have it handled. From a consumer point of view, they started a new business in a tough market, survived a lawsuit and 4 years of operating; I think they know what they're doing.

Your business model works in retail, it doesn't apply to software. I have yet to ever see a reputable product offer such an assinine deal. I've seen 20% off discounts and stuff, but to say "we'll match you license for license" screams desparation and they may as well just drop the price 50%.

You've been told it's a bad idea for almost 4 pages of a thread (80 messages), let it go.

drooly, baseball cap wearing ne'er-do-wells are Xenforo's bread and butter...
That's no way to talk about paying customers. Shame on you. For the record, I love everyone.

Saying the price should be tripled (or trebled, if you're from the former Crimea) was merely charming hyperbole.

As for top hats, you cannot deny that they make ones appearance much more elegant and distinguished. If we all wore top hats we wouldn't be embroiled in this dreadful war with the Japanese or whatever it is.

As to the topic of this thread, check out the node.js demo in this video (if you get dropped in at the beginning, skip ahead to the 35 minute mark). In a nutshell, it's local browser caching of form field data without a trip to the server until the data is finished and submitted. It's fast, it's awesome, it's the future. XenForo could use forward thinking tech like that to be even cooler than they are now. Then raise the price.

Compare that to the other alternatives, we still end up 2 or even 3 times cheaper than the competition...*

*last time I checked

I completely agree Slavik. XF is priced very competitively - but I am speaking specifically about edge cases where the chance of a sale is low - stating from the outset that this is about creating new sales opportunities. If it was such a bad idea I would expect the list of cons to be huge by now. So I'm a little perplexed why there's such a barrage of immature animosity with little or no substance. (Not from you tho, I hasten to add ;))

3 posts later, I'm still not sure why the price is being argued about.

Listen, it's simple. If you don't want to buy the best software at the lowest price because you're not confident in the community's potential... maybe you should be shopping for a free solution instead of asking XenForo to drop their license price to $70 (you're wanting to pay $70 per license when either ipb or vb will cost you nearly 3x as much [maybe more]). They offer small discounts for bulk licenses, it's been the same for years and it'll continue to be the same or probably increase over time.

I realize this forum is called "Off Topic" so lets avoid that joke in response to the rest of this paragraph. This thread was not about "How can XenForo be used on more low quality communities" it was about "What do you want to see from XenForo". If KAM wanted our opinion on how to sell software, they'd probably ask. I really think they have it handled. From a consumer point of view, they started a new business in a tough market, survived a lawsuit and 4 years of operating; I think they know what they're doing.

Your business model works in retail, it doesn't apply to software. I have yet to ever see a reputable product offer such an assinine deal. I've seen 20% off discounts and stuff, but to say "we'll match you license for license" screams desparation and they may as well just drop the price 50%.

You've been told it's a bad idea for almost 4 pages of a thread (80 messages), let it go.

If the topic is annoying you skip the posts or use the ignore function :rolleyes:

I completely agree Slavik. XF is priced very competitively - but I am speaking specifically about edge cases where the chance of a sale is low - stating from the outset that this is about creating new sales opportunities. If it was such a bad idea I would expect the list of cons to be huge by now. So I'm a little perplexed why there's such a barrage of immature animosity with little or no substance. (Not from you tho, I hasten to add ;))

Just because nobody made a bullet point list doesn't mean the cons haven't been pointed out.

I think both sides have made their point on the BOGOF-type issue. Can we discuss other ideas?

There's still that whole idea of a private island for XF founderscustomers...

Imagine what that'd be like Mike - an island full of debaters. :LOL:

Last edited:
Top Bottom