So what would you like to see next at XenForo?

The same can be said for the core software.
Or any other product you purchase, digital or otherwise.

But the core developers have a proven track record, and the core developers don't potentially cause issues for a 'parent' product.

If 10% of XF customers buy a plug-in of some sort, and their site becomes dependent on it and then for some reason that plug-in is pulled, or breaks and the developer is not interested - that's a lot of people who have now had a bad experience with XF, yet it hasn't been XF's fault.

This is why I think we need much better API documentation - so people can learn to code things themselves, or at the very least be in a position to fix things if things go wrong.

I believe I have already discussed it seriously.

Just because it doesn't line up with your suggestion of giving away free licenses, there is no need to respond in that manner.

Perhaps when you run your own business you may think differently.

Of course, it's not like there aren't already multiple free forum packages that can be deployed on these 'could be great' sites, which could then be migrated to XF if they turn out to be successful niches.

I don't think a buy one get one free offer on forum licenses is a good idea, but, the idea could be expanded apon
Like, buy 5 in a year, get 1 free, or for every 5 licenses, you get a free addon product (Like the resource manager, or search addon)

I believe I have already discussed it seriously.

If you're saying that Buy XX get XX free promotions are not sales then you are deliberately being facetious IMO.

Perhaps when you run your own business you may think differently.

Perhaps you should get your facts before commenting about people's personal circumstances. I have been running a company for 15 years, and before that helped my father with the family business and my siblings with theirs. It's possible I've been 'in business' for over half your life.

The five sales are sales, the five free are not sales.

Ok I will humour you, and for the sake of argument change the offer.

Forget buy five get five free - swap it to buy ten for half price.

The benefits are the same - $700 in a single transaction; little or no worry about resale of licenses; boost of total revenue; creating new sales opps (sales you would not have had otherwise); more XF forums out there (either through conversions or forums that would not have otherwise seen the light of day) etc The only difference is how appealing this offer is compared to the original offer (I believe the original offer sounds more appealing and would yield better results).

There is already a bulk purchase discount: https://xenforo.com/purchase/xenforo-details

Compare that promotion to mine. Does it offer the same benefits? Does it entice people as much as what I suggested would?

When devising a promotion or offer, two of the most relevant factors are:
  • What the company wants to achieve (More sales? Boost revenue? More product out there? More exposure? Keep customers happy? Prevent loss of potential sales/customers going elsewhere? Etc)
  • And how appealing the offer is.
Simple surveys, a series of threads or A/B testing can help determine which offers yield or could potentially yield the best results.

Only xenforo knows if they need offers to boost sales, I suspect sales are going more than well now the lawsuit is over.

When you have the best product it sells itself without the need for lots of offers or discounts, it really is that simple.

So you think creating sales that a company would not otherwise get = bad commercial sense? Very odd ;)

(Btw, this technique has been used to great effect in the sale of all sorts of products and services for decades.)
Is it possible, that the systems given away may have ones that owners would have purchased regardless?

I'd prefer a financially strong XenForo to allow them to come out with more really good stuff.

But the core developers have a proven track record, and the core developers don't potentially cause issues for a 'parent' product.

If 10% of XF customers buy a plug-in of some sort, and their site becomes dependent on it and then for some reason that plug-in is pulled, or breaks and the developer is not interested - that's a lot of people who have now had a bad experience with XF, yet it hasn't been XF's fault.

This is why I think we need much better API documentation - so people can learn to code things themselves, or at the very least be in a position to fix things if things go wrong.

It's a slippery path the discussion on add-ons. I had the same experience with an add-on that I was using during vBulletin. You use it, your site depends on it, and then comes the day the developer stops or even gets missing. I think especially the non experienced forum owners should be warned more about using big add-ons for their forums. To understand the risk that they are using a 3th party product and can't depend on any continuation or support from XenForo. Sometimes people underestimate this risk.

But at the broader perspective at XenForo, I would find it really interesting if board owners can do like a sort of Ted talks about their boards. How they keep their visitors coming, which modifications do they find really important, how to deal with getting good results in google and how to proper monetize your forums. A sort of vodcast with tips and talks about the people using the software. Maybe make it like "between 2 ferns" ;)

O, and for the personal suggestion more towards Xenforo development: Banner integration with all the conditional statements in the options for showing banners. Or a conditional statement generator, where you can select all kind of options and the correct statements roll out :)

I don't think a buy one get one free offer on forum licenses is a good idea, but, the idea could be expanded apon
Like, buy 5 in a year, get 1 free, or for every 5 licenses, you get a free addon product (Like the resource manager, or search addon)
Hey, I like this idea. (y)

Or maybe like this. Buy 5 license, got 1 year extended license for 1 license (you choose what license)

Is it possible, that the systems given away may have ones that owners would have purchased regardless?

Thanks for posting that - you raise a good point, one that I think can help demonstrate my point. This is of course something that would need to be weighed up. So let's weigh it up.

Realistically, how many people are likely to buy 10 licences in one transaction? How many would buy that many in a month or a week (about the time frame I'd envisage such a promotion)? Or even disregarding the promotion period altogether, how many would buy that many in a year? We could even go as far to ask how many would buy that many full stop.

I have been running forums for a decade, yet I only ever bought 5 vBulletin licences. (Might be worth posting a poll about that - how many forums do people have/licences they have purchased).

This promotion would be about creating sales that would otherwise probably be unlikely, that's why I specifically set it at 10, rather than 2.

I'd prefer a financially strong XenForo to allow them to come out with more really good stuff.

So would I. Companies have been using offers like this to boost revenue for decades. These kinds of offers work - that's why you find them in almost every type of business, from supermarkets to double glazing. They just need to be tweaked for each market.

Top Bottom