Should I buy a MacBook Pro?

Should I buy a MacBook Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

wii

I've always used Windows, but I have seriously considered a MacBook Pro, I love the hardware, the keyboard and the screen, I have considered a MacBook Pro 15" with the 1680x1050 matte screen, but should I do it?

I use my computer primary for internet and webdesign, I just need Photoshop, FTP and a good text editor, I also use my computer to view movies, primary in the MKV format.

I do know that I can install Windows on a Mac, but is it any good?

Thanks

DO IT! :D

I've a 13,3 Inch MBP (mid 2010) and I love it. :D
External Display and Keyboard/Mouse at Home and it works fine. :D

i'd say no. i bought one because i wanted to try out OS X. having used windows for years i was surprised by how limited OS X is and felt to me. I didnt like it at all.

Then i put windows 7 on my macbook pro, but had major problem with the audio drivers apple released for windows. many people have the ame problem. audio wasnt loud enough, and was just unusable really.

I loved the macbook pro hardware design. So damn sexy and just beautiful. Loved it, but in the end i decided it wasnt worth the $1300 i paid, when i can get a super good quality windows laptop which much more pwoer for over half the price off.

Sold it within a month, now i have a beautiful Dell Laptop that has many of the same features, but more powerful internal parts :D

What exactly didn't you like about OS X?

I would like to know this before I jump in...

I cant say i liked anything about it at all to be honest, Not trying to troll.

To me it felt kinda like using linux as well, so if you ever used linux you may understand.
I suppose if you want something thats really simple to use then OS X is for you. But i prefer my windows. It may just be because i grew up using windows, so i prefer it, i dunno. Just really didnt like OS X, and i didnt think it even had a better appearance than windows 7.

Good thing about Macbooks though is that you can buy it and if you dont like it you basically resell it for about the same price you paid. I listed mine on craigslist and had tons of people interested immediately.

BTW if you just want to use FTP, watch movies, and write stuff, then it'll work great for you, but only if you're willing to spend a alot on mediocre specs.

I recommend you do some research into heat and fan speed in mac portables. I have found that power users (running games and movies) often have heat problems with macbooks. I have also had problems with my mac mini which is essentially a macbook without a screen.

Many people who report problems have found a solution in these two programs:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23183/coolbookcontroller
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

Undervolting (coolbookcontroller) provides the most heat reduction. It also increases battery life in macbooks.

Some people also buy cooling pads which is a little ridiculous IMO.

I also highly recommend an Intel SSD for any new computer if your budget allows it:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inc...A1EQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287486781&sr=8-3

The next generation of Intel SSDs is supposed to be out in a few months if you need more capacity:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag...n_Next_Gen_Enterprise_Solid_State_Drives.html

Yes do it. I was always a Windows man too, but couldn't really find a laptop I liked, having tired of the likes of HP, Toshiba etc - and sure Dell have a lot of specs for the money, but always the same issues, screen, small trackpad.

So I went for a MacBook Pro and also bought Windows 7 so I could dual boot. I've ended up then with two laptops in one, a Mac and Windows.

The key question is, for my next laptop, would I go back to a non-Mac even if it was half the price. The answer is no. I like the massive trackpad too much, the keyboard too much, the screen too much. Also the quick start-up and near instant restore from sleep. The fact it's almost armour plated. Huge battery life. I thought there would be so many programs or applications under Windows I would miss - but not so.

They are not a miracle laptop though. Macs can still crash, some of the things you get used to in Windows and miss can be a little irritating. But never enough to ruin the experience. In fact I only ever boot into Windows now to use Photoshop, which is an old PC version.

I'm very happy with mine.

I have never purchased anything of Apple before but it does look very good - The reason I don't buy of Apple is there products cost to much.

Definitely. They're fantastic, well-designed, nice-looking machines. If you for some reason don't get on with OS X, you can always install Windows 7 on it and it'll still run like a dream. New MacBook Air and possibly MacBook Pros are rumoured to be released tomorrow, as well. Apple are holding one of their exciting conferences.

I have never purchased anything of Apple before but it does look very good - The reason I don't buy of Apple is there products cost to much.
Paying for several PC laptops that fail just outside of warranty also costs too much.

I switched to a MacBook Pro 15" with Windows 7 in a dual boot configuration after going thru two other laptops, an HP 17 " and a Toshiba 17". The HP's monitor failed so it turned into a brick. The Toshiba's dv burner and monitor both failed within a month of each other. It turned into a brick as well. Neither were cheap laptops at the time, 2 years ago. I'm on my second year of my mac and will never buy a pc laptop again if I can help it. The only thing my mac is missing is more memory...4 gigs isn't really enough.

I agree with Ingenious:
So I went for a MacBook Pro and also bought Windows 7 so I could dual boot. I've ended up then with two laptops in one, a Mac and Windows.

The key question is, for my next laptop, would I go back to a non-Mac even if it was half the price. The answer is no. I like the massive trackpad too much, the keyboard too much, the screen too much. Also the quick start-up and near instant restore from sleep. The fact it's almost armour plated. Huge battery life. I thought there would be so many programs or applications under Windows I would miss - but not so.
I'm very happy with mine.

Paying for several PC laptops that fail just outside of warranty also costs too much.

I switched to a MacBook Pro 15" with Windows 7 in a dual boot configuration after going thru two other laptops, an HP 17 " and a Toshiba 17". The HP's monitor failed so it turned into a brick. The Toshiba's dv burner and monitor both failed within a month of each other. It turned into a brick as well. Neither were cheap laptops at the time, 2 years ago. I'm on my second year of my mac and will never buy a pc laptop again if I can help it.
component failures happen. The same screen and hard drive manufacturers that supply HP and Toshiba sell to the entire industry, including Apple. (BTW, replacing the screen on that HP isn't brain surgery! I wouldn't say you bricked that.)

Top Bottom