Should I buy a MacBook Pro?

Should I buy a MacBook Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters
I have a recent Macbook Pro i5 15" with the cinema monitor.
I'm very happy with it.
But then again I've always been a mac guy.

While the iPad and iPod can browse the internet, the only one that can send/receive phone calls is the iPhone unless you use Skype which isn't really the same.

And while Apple may be focusing on the mobile market, HP isn't far behind in changing it's focus: HP’s deal with Palm will change mobile computing landscape

Palm isn't a threat to either Android or iOS, especially with HP having taken over.

Skype successfully allows an iPod Touch to act similarly to a smartphone, which many people have used it for.

We're actually in a similar situation, spend next year's hardware budget on further wintel boxes or dump the lot and go Apple. As I see it the whole decision will boil down to two competing issues.

1. We always brought wintel due to knowledge of the OS, availability of upgrade paths, and relative ease (getting harder) of moving from existing rig to new rig. I haven't upgraded a PC, beyond adding vid cards and memory sticks, for years. The M$ OSs are increasingly dumbed down making it bloody hard to set up for our requirements. And it can take up to a day now to setup a new PC with all the software options.

2. A switch to Apple would require re-investment in software, I don't see the point of moving platforms to install a layer to run windows software. What Apple doesn't have decent software? So that's an additional cost right there. Guess add in a learning curve, though our Apple center is running a crash advanced "do some real damage" course thrown in with a purchase. Unfort we don't have the infamous staircase they have in the Sydney store :(

A few things we have noted recently with PCs Down Under

- Monitors have about zero life span outside the warranty. It's cheaper to replace the monitor than get the existing one fix, manufacturers are using cheap parts.

- Apple is now very competitive price wise.

- Asus sucks, one month out of warranty boom the hard disk went on our latest model, Asus support couldn't give a crap. Sorry if that's the company's attitude then they deserve zero business as their rigs cost a damn sight more than the equiv hole in the wall build.

One pertinent question with a move to Apple, do you have to buy all the fashion accessories the bogans are marching around with like iPhones? I want me a blueberry.

Just some thoughts as we ponder a move.

I have had a my MacBook Pro 13" since January. It is the best computer I have ever had. The hardware is exceptional. Because of the MacBook, I purchased an iMac for my desk. I use them both constantly depending upon my situation. OS X is very polished. As a confirmed Linux user since the early 90s, it was an easy transition. Everything works. I do a fair amount of video as an educator. I try to keep the length below 20 minutes. Either machine does very well. I typically use Final Cut Express. It does everything I need. I also have Adobe Creative Suite 4 on both machines. The screen quality makes editing much easier than any of my windows machines.

For some reason, my MacBook is faster than my iMac at least from boot to functional. Once running you can't tell the difference.

I just had to reinstall Windows Vista on my college son's Dell laptop. It was quite a pain chasing down all of the correct drivers. I had to determine the hardware that was actually installed on the machine and then find the drive and install. It was a pain in the neck. And people worry about Linux?

That kind of thing is never a problem with the Macs. I did a reinstall with my MacBook due to an error on my part. It was a simple task with the supplied disks and Apples included backup system.

Borrow one from somebody and try it for a week. You will find Macs are worth the extra cost.

Jeff

To me, it all boils down to what you can afford, what you can deal with, what you need in your daily day, and what you base your entire internet life on.

I have a Macbook Pro and a Dell Inspiron.
I've used countless amounts of different computer models, and Apple just beats them all.
Mac OS X is surely the easiest to use. It can be so easy at times you can't even figure out how to do something, as Windows always has countless amounts of steps to do a simple job.

Example Install/uninstall:
Install Windows : Click a million buttons(next, next, next, next, I agree, next, *wait 5 minutes for progress bar* next, next, finished)
Mac Install: Open, Drag+drop. (Most applications are like this, the bigger ones do include next next next, just not as extensive).
Uninstall Windows: Find the program in the endless list that is the program menu, and wait another 5 minutes while the install removes MOST files (In most cases not all).
Mac Uninstall: Rightclick -> Delete.

Also, I noticed a lot of people commenting on the low specs of Apple computers, this is indeed true.
They never accounted for how fast Macs are, even with those low specs.
Like I said, it just boils down to what you prefer. I tend to like the ease and the feel of Macs, but everyone has their preferences.

I bought a macbook pro a few years ago, don't use it at all anymore.

The hardware looks great, and OSX is shiny, sure. The battery life is decent and the sound and video playback excellent.

But it's also frustrating in many ways.
- no way to maximise a window. You have to manually drag the bottom right corner then the stupid dock pops up in the way
- runs so hot I can't use it on my lap, which kind of defeats the purpose for a laptop
- very few keyboard shortcuts (I googled for lots), which makes it far too inefficient for me to use effectively
- way underpowered for the price
- one button mouse. What. The. FARK?

I bought a macbook pro a few years ago, don't use it at all anymore.

The hardware looks great, and OSX is shiny, sure. The battery life is decent and the sound and video playback excellent.

- no way to maximise a window. You have to manually drag the bottom right corner then the stupid dock pops up in the way
- runs so hot I can't use it on my lap, which kind of defeats the purpose for a laptop
- very few keyboard shortcuts (I googled for lots), which makes it far too inefficient for me to use effectively
1. It's meant to be that way.
2. Doesn't happen on my MBP, it gets hot on certain occasions but it's not serious hot.
3. I've seen keyboard shortcuts for about everything as well as a system preferences section to set up more for certain apps.
4. Sure, if you want to use Windows.
5. I like it.

1 and 5 = It's all about choice and what you like and you don't. I enjoy the maximize currently on OS X as well as the 1 button mouse, plus you can configure your magic trackpad to have a right button by just going to system preferences, and if you want to use a mouse, you can connect any "normal PC" mouse, I personally use Magic Mouse, because I enjoy it.

This is not entirely true actually. It just works differently than Windows (which is to be expected). A small window will resize to the max. height, deciding the custom width is up to the user (which is actually good since not everyone wants full width when maximizing a window). The dock can be moved to the left or right if wanted and is thus actually smart, not stupid.

Every laptop gets hot when the CPU is working hard. But since aluminium is of course a much better conductor than plastic, a Macbook Pro will conduct its heat much more through the body. This actually a good thing, because passive cooling is in many ways better than active cooling. 1) less noise from fans, 2) fans do not need to work as hard and will live longer, 3) the design of the laptop can be slimmer / nicer.

If you have a problem with heat, this is what I use:
4651134-rain-design-ilap-17w-inch.webp

Rain design iLap. This works great, and BTW, not just for Mac, because all laptops will get hot eventually.

I'm not really missing anything tbh. Of course some are different than Windows and need to be learned. Here's a list for anyone looking for them. I'd say it's a fairly decent list :)

They stay up to date with the latest quality internal hardware, so not sure what you mean here. If you mean the price is too high for what you get, then that's just a question of perceived value, and many people will disagree with you.

It's called innovation. But I don't like it either, just doesn't feel right. Combine Mac with a Logitech mouse (Mac keyboards are great) and you'll be a happy camper.

This is not entirely true actually. It just works differently than Windows (which is to be expected). A small window will resize to the max. height, deciding the custom width is up to the user (which is actually good since not everyone wants full width when maximizing a window). The dock can be moved to the left or right if wanted and is thus actually smart, not stupid.

Every laptop gets hot when the CPU is working hard. But since aluminium is of course a much better conductor than plastic, a Macbook Pro will conduct its heat much more through the body. This actually a good thing, because passive cooling is in many ways better than active cooling. 1) less noise from fans, 2) fans do not need to work as hard and will live longer, 3) the design of the laptop can be slimmer / nicer.

If you have a problem with heat, this is what I use:

View attachment 4769

Rain design iLap. This works great, and BTW, not just for Mac, because all laptops will get hot eventually.

I'm not really missing anything tbh. Of course some are different than Windows and need to be learned. Here's a list for anyone looking for them. I'd say it's a fairly decent list :)

They stay up to date with the latest quality internal hardware, so not sure what you mean here. If you mean the price is too high for what you get, then that's just a question of perceived value, and many people will disagree with you.

It's called innovation. But I don't like it either, just doesn't feel right. Combine Mac with a Logitech mouse (Mac keyboards are great) and you'll be a happy camper.
My gaming laptop barely heats up :), and thats running intensive games (I can emulate Final Fantasy 12 with no problems using PCSX2), or doing heavy graphic work.

Its a common complaint that Mac laptops run hot.

I just had to reinstall Windows Vista on my college son's Dell laptop. It was quite a pain chasing down all of the correct drivers. I had to determine the hardware that was actually installed on the machine and then find the drive and install.

Dell generally supplies disks for your purchased computer that contains the needed drivers for your particular system.

It was a simple task with the supplied disks and Apples included backup system.

Just like it is with a dell! Just because the CD/DVD packaging that contains the recovery/reformat stuff is not packaged as nicely, doesn't mean you shouldn't keep it ;) So many people toss those CD's out, is it that hard to keep them?

I do know that I can install Windows on a Mac, but is it any good?
Yep, win7 runs perfectly on the new macs... where mac OS doesn't work that well on non-mac... Trust me though, you will boot it less and less as you get used to and learn mac OS. That is what I am finding... just taking time, but slowly learning more and more mac and using win7 less and less overall. The keyboards shortcuts seem to be it with mac, as less is done via a mouse, and more shortcuts.

The smart mouse is also pretty awesome, but honestly, if you use a computer for prolonged times, then you're better with a comfortable fitting mouse, like the logitech or such type, so your palm sits in it nicely. I tend to find I get a sore hand quickly with the smart mouse because you have to cup your hand.

Hmm, still undecided...
I know exactly how you feel because I've been there about two years ago... It was between a Sony Vaio and the MB then. In the end I choose the MB because it would allow me to learn something new (OS) and I knew that I could still install Windows on it if I would still want it. It's just biting through the sour 'apple' of paying a bit more that makes it a hard decision. But most people are happy when they finally made the decision. Studies have shown that there are very few Apple users that are not satisfied. That should give you some assurance.

And the thing I found out...Windows runs faster on a Mac than a PC! Bootup on the Windows side is still slower than my Mac side but much faster than my husband's PC laptop which is about the same age and running fewer startup programs than I do.

As to it being too hot for your lap, my HP was too hot for my lap so I invested in a laptop desk that sits on my knees. Using it for my MBP now. Has room behind the laptop for my external drive and room on the side for my PC mouse.

Dell generally supplies disks for your purchased computer that contains the needed drivers for your particular system.

Typically for any system you buy, EVEN a MBP, you still have to update everything after the install because the disks are out of date...however, with the MBP you don't have to chase everything down, it comes to you.

And unless you request it, most systems have demos and other junk added...it's why I always prefer a HOME built system for my desktop to avoid all the junk. But the junk on some systems boggles the mind. HP and Dell are very bad.

They are first and foremost a computer company.
They were a computer company. If that was still true they wouldn't have to hold press conferences like today's, "Back to the Mac," and you wouldn't read things like this in CNN articles about the company; "Jobs was animated in the earnings meeting, eager to talk in depth about every Apple sales and innovation triumph -- except in desktop or laptop computers, which he never mentioned."

Not that it matters. Quick, name the last innovation in home computers. When did it happen, 15 years ago? But computer companies still need to sell things, so marketing takes over where innovation used to rule. If you think about it, there is no Mac vs. PC argument/comparison anyway. It's like asking, "Which should I buy, a Volkswagon or a car?" There is one source for a Mac, and PCs come from hundreds of different sources. Since there is no one-to-one comparison to be made, people tend to compare Apple the machine to Windows the O/S, and that is not a valid point of comparison. The machines themselves all do exactly the same things. Arguing that one is superior to the other is really kind of pointless.

Unless your sense of self-worth is tied into the products you consume. Which is what companies like Apple bank on.

And the thing I found out...Windows runs faster on a Mac than a PC! Bootup on the Windows side is still slower than my Mac side but much faster than my husband's PC laptop which is about the same age and running fewer startup programs than I do.

As to it being too hot for your lap, my HP was too hot for my lap so I invested in a laptop desk that sits on my knees. Using it for my MBP now. Has room behind the laptop for my external drive and room on the side for my PC mouse.

Windows boot times is due largely to BIOS testing and startup running which hasn't been improved on in 25 or so years. If BIOS would stop doing their tests that software doesn't pay attention to any way windows boot time would be cut in half if not more.

When UEFI becomes standard on PC's and laptops, you'll see dramatically improved boot times.

Also if you think HP's run out, you should try a gateway laptop ;) Never had a problem with my MBP and heat unless it was charging though.

They were a computer company. If that was still true they wouldn't have to hold press conferences like today's, "Back to the Mac," and you wouldn't read things like this in CNN articles about the company; "Jobs was animated in the earnings meeting, eager to talk in depth about every Apple sales and innovation triumph -- except in desktop or laptop computers, which he never mentioned."

Not that it matters. Quick, name the last innovation in home computers. When did it happen, 15 years ago? But computer companies still need to sell things, so marketing takes over where innovation used to rule. If you think about it, there is no Mac vs. PC argument/comparison anyway. It's like asking, "Which should I buy, a Volkswagon or a car?" There is one source for a Mac, and PCs come from hundreds of different sources. Since there is no one-to-one comparison to be made, people tend to compare Apple the machine to Windows the O/S, and that is not a valid point of comparison. The machines themselves all do exactly the same things. Arguing that one is superior to the other is really kind of pointless.

Unless your sense of self-worth is tied into the products you consume. Which is what companies like Apple bank on.
You have never used a Mac in your entire life did you ? Now be honest :)

(This is not meant to be offensive btw).

Lots of platform zealots in here. I used to try to convince people what to buy, but the lines have become so blurred over the years that it mostly comes down to subjective and aesthetic measures like you see in this thread.

I regularly switch between Mac, Windows, and Linux and I never have to give up any functionality. 10 years ago the choice of platform was a more important decision than it is today. Now it doesn't really matter.

One thing that makes me prefer Linux and Mac over Windows is security. I am something of a computer hypochondriac. :(

Top Bottom