Why should I buy this?

Solution
xenForo software is great for many reasons you can find by some deep searching, comparing, and testing. As I get notified that you love one of our themes, so If you decide to choose xenForo and get a license I will give you that theme for free.
Intense compared to what?

People invested in xenforo for different reasons - why have you got a forum? What are you looking for?
I understand people have different reasons, I'm asking what those reasons were.
I'm looking to understand what deciding factor caused people to buy this forum rather than using one of the free options like MyBB, SMF, etc. or even IPB, which does cost more but has more features.

I landed here on my path to find a nice theme for the board I'm setting up on MyBB, but it seems like all the ones I like are for this script. And they're not free, so on top of the $200 for Xen, it's $50 per theme.. the board is for a hobby, not a business.

So.. I have been looking around the forum here and I've seen some really nice themes created by people, but the pricetag is a bit intense.

I was hoping maybe some people could give me some reasons they decided to take the plunge and buy XenForo.

What was the deciding factor for you?
Hi cherrysodastar. 🙂 I like your username. It's petty unique, and still seems familiar somehow.

The deciding factor for me jumping on the Xenforo bandwagon was really more of a spur of the moment thing, lol. Zero preparation whatsoever.

My friend already had one at the time and it was reasonably familiar to me, and basically what happened is one morning about 15 months ago I woke up with a spontaneous urge to create a community fora...😄Xenforo was my first choice.

.... however as an inexperienced newb to Xenforo Administrative technical stuff, I ended up hiring a freelance XF tech who was well known and active with this "community", so I figured he'd be reliable.

🤣 Around 3 weeks later my tiny fledgling forum was completely ruined, I was several grand out of pocket and then discovered he was a predatory criminal with a history of commiting fraudulent activities online, such as scamming money from victims by pretending to sell iPhones & alike. Yet it was worse when realizing certain members of this XF community were already well aware, deliberately concealing this—and then actively attempted to silence me after I found out the truth.

I would advise caution here, as not all is as is presented.

There certainly are some really wonderful members here and who will help with technical queries whenever they can.

Alas there are others lurking around here who are essentially malevolent predators masquerading as if otherwise. For example post #2 in this thread is by one such disingenuous member.

Yet it was worse when realizing certain members of this XF community were already well aware, deliberately concealing this—and then actively attempted to silence me after I found out the truth.

Can you provide some more details regarding this?

You can submit a ticket.

BTW, I have finally merged this account with your original one - we don't allow multiple accounts here.

Can you provide some more details regarding this?

You can submit a ticket.

BTW, I have finally merged this account with your original one - we don't allow multiple accounts here.
Paul. I can provide much more than just "some" details, as I document almost everything online. I am currently documenting this too.

Are you aware of the shamelessly abusive behaviour currently being hurled at me by a feral mob of prominent XF Community members?

I'm sure you will also be well aware one of these thoughtful members was apparently so kind as to even create a dedicated thread specifically for the sole purpose of abusing me under a laughable false pretence.

Now as for the very convenient mention of your having "finally merged this account with your original one - we don't allow multiple accounts here."

Why only just now?

Why not a month ago?

Apart from not getting on with the previous forum software I was using (vBulletin and IPS) (or is it IPB?) It was very much due to the fact that creating your own custom style was very easy - so not necessary to pay lots of money to a 3rd party off the peg style. So this kind of directly addresses your initial point about the cost of themes.

Last edited:
We looked at a few options, both commercial and open source. Xenforo (1.3 at the time) just came out on top. Better than any of the commercial alternatives (though I would be hard-pressed to remember why since it was almost exactly a decade ago) and more feature complete and easier to work with in terms of what we wanted than OS. We have stuck with it and I have no regrets. When I almost took over another site during the pandemic, I didn't even do a search, just wrote up my business plan based on using Xenforo plus a couple necessary add-ons. The original owner changed their mind about giving up the site, though, so the plan wasn't needed in the end.

So.. I have been looking around the forum here and I've seen some really nice themes created by people, but the pricetag is a bit intense.

I was hoping maybe some people could give me some reasons they decided to take the plunge and buy XenForo.

Honestly, I looked at all the options and Xenforo gave me the most bang for my buck. It's very flexible and if you work with the right developer like Pixel Exit you can get outstanding custom work done for a fair price.

While there are two other options close to xenforo caliber, they don't have the reputation of consistency that X has nor did their addons give me the features I needed. Two cents

xenForo software is great for many reasons you can find by some deep searching, comparing, and testing. As I get notified that you love one of our themes, so If you decide to choose xenForo and get a license I will give you that theme for free.
Are you for real?! I am so deeply in love with your Retro theme I can't even stand it. It's one of the main reasons I'm considering XenForo!

You don't necessarily have to buy a new theme. I am using a copy of the default theme and I just changed the colors and the background image and stuff.
I am looking to initially invest in a couple of low maintenance quality themes in the beginning to get the ball rolling, then hopefully start making my own. I'm pretty good at technical stuff but I've been out of the MB game a while. Right now I am interested in having a place for people to land and start talking.
Hi cherrysodastar. 🙂 I like your username. It's petty unique, and still seems familiar somehow.
Thank you. It's hard to find an available username these days, this one is full of my favorite things.
Thank you for this warning. I do typically do my own customizations, it's part of the fun for me. I just need a jumping off point.

Also, thank you to everyone who has replied thus far. I was afraid after the response I received from James that my request would be met with more contention from others, I almost didn't come back. I appreciate all your genuine responses.

It seems like the deciding factors are mostly:

1. It just works
2. It's familiar and I like it
3. Better premium themes than free mb scripts
4. Good team behind the core

I am looking to initially invest in a couple of low maintenance quality themes in the beginning to get the ball rolling, then hopefully start making my own. I'm pretty good at technical stuff but I've been out of the MB ga
Ah okay. I used to run custom themes (by ThemeHouse, IIRC) but they required a special addon for certain things to work well, so I stopped using their themes.

Also, thank you to everyone who has replied thus far. I was afraid after the response I received from James that my request would be met with more contention from others, I almost didn't come back. I appreciate all your genuine responses.
Anytime! Most of the community here is patient and likes to help out. There's only really the outliers.

Top Bottom