Why should I buy this?

Solution
xenForo software is great for many reasons you can find by some deep searching, comparing, and testing. As I get notified that you love one of our themes, so If you decide to choose xenForo and get a license I will give you that theme for free.
I moved in 2014 from Vbulletin ver 5 which was very buggy for me. XenForo has been a breeze compared to the lack of support and workable software at the other company. Support from other users and staff has been very good. There appears to be good third party addons for this software. I find @AndyB addons to help with my particular needs.

Quality, Quality, Quality
  • Quality Software
  • Quality Developers
  • Quality Third Party Base
Quality always sells. Been using this software since 2011, tried all the others and some are not bad, some have horrible developers and some are not interested in the small people. But Xenforo always delivers, is solid and reliable, and is super easy to customise. It's the best of the best and I will always choose quality over substance - Xenforo has both!

So.. I have been looking around the forum here and I've seen some really nice themes created by people, but the pricetag is a bit intense.

I was hoping maybe some people could give me some reasons they decided to take the plunge and buy XenForo.

What was the deciding factor for you?
I needed consistent software that my community could count on, that and the post above....quality. I would talk to pixel exit about your theme needs, amazing and reasonable. https://pixelexit.com/

that is kind of disingenuous.
when i was pricing both the full package of xenforo was
$195 + $60 + $70 + 70 = $395
renew = $100
ipb was $499
renew = $199
you get more with ipb like a calendar a social groups and something called pages that if you learn it you can create your own interface to relational databases that you create and something called commerce.
if you add paid plug ins from others to get the same ability in xenforo the price is very close if not better for ipb.
i went with xenforo because i got it and several plug ins for $25.
i was told to avoid vb like you would with the latter letter being two letters farther down the alphabet.

Pages are okay as a basic relational database, but it is not really worth using once you start needing to get complex.

Your argument about raising the price of XenForo is also quite disingenuous, because the value proposition of certain add-ons on XenForo offer better functionality than IPB. UBS is by far better than IP.Blogs; DragonByte Tech eCommerce is a better product than commerce, as it still offers physical goods; Ozzy's badge add-on is better than awards on IPB (and is free).

I cannot speak of current status of IPB, as I have not used them since they screwed me over on perpetual licenses, but generally XenForo has had a better value proposition for add-ons, and generally of higher quality.

I also have more trust in XenForo than I do with IPB, primarily because of choices and actions of IPB historically. Even though communication generally sucks, XenForo is more transparent about changes they are making whereas IPB will make decisions and do them without warning. Other than the occasional pushback from developers when people overstep (and Brogan who is the embodiment of sarcasm), the staff here are generally much better than on IPB.

You pick platforms on what the platform offers, and what you need. If you do not need things IPB has, XenForo is the better platform (especially if you're doing custom development). If you just need functionality IPB offers, then use IPB; if the features are available as add-ons on XF, and you can afford it, XF is still generally better.

If you just need functionality IPB offers, then use IPB; if the features are available as add-ons on XF, and you can afford it, XF is still generally better.
you supported exactly what i said and you even emphasized it with your you can afford it comment.
you can not say one is $xxx but indicate the other is cheaper.
the cheaper xenforo offering does not have what the more expensive ipb offering does.
apples and oranges so to say one costs a high number and indicate that the other is cheaper is not a fair comparison.
you took off on a tangent that was not being addressed about quality of what the program offers compared to outside programmers offering.
when you start looking at plug ins to give the same ability, the prices are nearer the same. there is no blog built into xenforo or available from them. there is no pages equivalent built in or available from xenforo.
i have had no first hand experience using ipb but know someone who did use 4.3 and they were fairly happy with the program but did state that xenforo had better plug ins to do what he wanted from xenaddons.
but those plug ins cost more than the time he invested in making a basic offering in pages.
no reference was made to quality of an outside plug in compared to what is built in.
with either program you want more you pay more.
all software offer basic offerings that outside plug ins can do better or improve upon.
ipb just bundles all of their stuff together and xenforo allows you to piece meal it.
xenforo is no different than ipb or any other script when it comes down to if you special ability you will need to pay more for it.
just look at how many plug ins are advertised to extend what is offered in basic program in xenforo.
my friend talked me out of spending the money in ipb.

anyone looking at them need to know what they want to do first.

Last edited:
you supported exactly what i said and you even emphasized it with your you can afford it comment.
the cheaper xenforo offering does not have what the more expensive ipb offering does.
apples and oranges so to say one costs a high number and indicate that the other is cheaper is not a fair comparison.
you took off on a tangent that was not being addressed about quality of what the program offers compared to outside programmers offering.
when you start looking at plug ins to give the same ability, the prices are nearer the same. there is no blog built into xenforo or available from them. there is no pages equivalent built in or available from xenforo.
i have had no first hand experience using ipb but know someone who did use 4.3 and they were fairly happy with the program but did state that xenforo had better plug ins to do what he wanted from xenaddons.
but those plug ins cost more than the time he invested in making a basic offering in pages.
no reference was made to quality of an outside plug in compared to what is built in.
all software offer basic offerings that outside plug ins can do better or improve upon.
ipb just bundles all of their stuff together and xenforo allows you to piece meal it.
xenforo is no different than ipb or any other script when it comes down to if you special ability you will need to pay more for it.
just look at how many plug ins are advertised to extend what is offered in basic program in xenforo.

Mate if you’re hating this place why post on here?
Go use SMF which is free open source software.
Your style of posting reminds me of a restricted poster on here.

You made a disingenuous argument to someone you called disingenuous; I responded with a breakdown of the two systems point out that your argument using value proposition was incorrect.

Maybe learn to read a whole post, rather than picking and choosing what you like (y).

That or do not calls someone disingenuous when you yourself are being disingenuous.

I resemble that remark!
You'll never live up to the legend that was @Brogan!

Number One Horror GIF by lilcozynostril

And that, @cherrysodastar , is why I continue to use Xenforo - we can RIP on the staff (and each other), they get the joke, and often return it in kind. These guys don't just make community software, they run one. They know what it takes. We don't always agree with each other, but they stand behind what they do, take their lumps, and then we all get on with running our forums. Sometimes, we even tell them how great they are!
Season 4 Group GIF by Friends

You made a disingenuous argument to someone you called disingenuous; I responded with a breakdown of the two systems point out that your argument using value proposition was incorrect.

Maybe learn to read a whole post, rather than picking and choosing what you like (y).

That or do not calls someone disingenuous when you yourself are being disingenuous.
disingenuous is an adjective that means lacking in candor, frankness, or sincerity.
point out the statement that I made that was disingenuous.
the response was to to a specific statement that inferred that ipb was more expensive than xenforo not an entire post.
i would go into more response but it will make certain segments here upset.
one of those have already chimed in.
actually apparently two.

Last edited:
Mate if you’re hating this place why post on here?
Go use SMF which is free open source software.
Your style of posting reminds me of a restricted poster on here.
mate... when someone says ipb is XXX but implies that xenforo is cheaper then there should be no problem pointing out that ipb contains more than the base xenforo does and to get them to level playing field you have to buy plug ins both xenforo and from outside.
the difference is that ipb forces you to take their entire package.
xenforo lets you eat à la carte.
that is one of the strengths of xenforo and that many will prefer.
they do not force you to take everything and you can tailor to what you need.

as for sounding like someone else.
you do realize that usually when people are friends with others for over a decade they share some of the same interests and thoughts.
neither one of us like folks not giving correct information.
i know you have been called out by me on that.
and probably by him.
and by others.
i guess that makes those others that stated you were wrong in my test thread about TOR browser (which still has issues on this site) remind you of that restricted poster also.
i paid for xenforo.
and i will use it.
there is no need for me to use smf or anything else.
it is a good program.
does it have problems.
yes.
but show me any program that does everything everybody wants it to do.
i am also pretty sure i commented that i was told to not look hard at ipb.

Last edited:
mate... when someone says ipb is XXX but implies that xenforo is cheaper then there should be no problem pointing out that ipb contains more than the base xenforo does and to get them to level playing field you have to buy plug ins both xenforo and from outside.
the difference is that ipb forces you to take their entire package.
xenforo lets you eat à la carte.
that is one of the strengths of xenforo and that many will prefer.
they do not force you to take everything and you can tailor to what you need.

as for sounding like someone else.
you do realize that usually when people are friends with others for over a decade they share some of the same interests and thoughts.
neither one of us like folks not giving correct information.
i know you have been called out by me on that.
and probably by him.
and by others.
i guess that makes those others that stated you were wrong in my test thread about TOR browser (which still has issues on this site) remind you of that restricted poster also.
i paid for xenforo.
and i will use it.
there is no need for me to use smf or anything else.
it is a good program.
does it have problems.
yes.
but show me any program that does everything everybody wants it to do.
i am also pretty sure i commented that i was told to not look hard at ipb.
I smell a TPerry alias in here.
@Paul B can you check his IP address please?

Said person uses Tor Browser which, amongst other things, disguises the real IP address.

I'm sure he doesn't need to communicate with his friend that signing up with an alias to deliberately circumvent a ban does not help their case one iota. I'm sure they're aware of that. Some might even say that insulting our intelligence isn't a smart move either.

I am looking to initially invest in a couple of low maintenance quality themes in the beginning to get the ball rolling, then hopefully start making my own. I'm pretty good at technical stuff but I've been out of the MB game a while. Right now I am interested in having a place for people to land and start talking.

Thank you. It's hard to find an available username these days, this one is full of my favorite things.

Thank you for this warning. I do typically do my own customizations, it's part of the fun for me. I just need a jumping off point.

Also, thank you to everyone who has replied thus far. I was afraid after the response I received from James that my request would be met with more contention from others, I almost didn't come back. I appreciate all your genuine responses.

It seems like the deciding factors are mostly:

1. It just works
2. It's familiar and I like it
3. Better premium themes than free mb scripts
4. Good team behind the core

This is the main reason why I went with Xenforo. The support itself is a valuable service, when they do reply, in most cases. I've found the community a bit more helpful and 3rd parties much more responsive to questions. For me, it was really the 3rd party support that sealed it for me.

My only concern is that seems like xenforo doesn't really support their own add-ons to the level that the third parties do. They support the core and are working on 2.3 which is understandable but my only issue.

Aside from that, the eco-system that surrounds xenforo is much more stable and consistent that other forum software in my experience. The core is developed in such a way that it is extremely scalable so its worth $$ for developer time vs. DIY. The cost in itself isn't that large in the grand scheme of hobbies considering licenses are annual. Though I wish i did get it in 2023, but overall its still a decent value prop. Plus users like the modularity, of add-ons and themes.

Why should I buy this?​

Because I'm here, and you like my profile picture!

Why did you buy this?​

We bought this, because it seemed similar to vbulletin which we were upgrading from, and it was easier on the wallet and had a large addon community. Been here for a while, and I appreciate how connected the staff are with the community. When you buy the software and post on the forum you'll feel like you joined a family, rather than "being the customer of a company".

When you get your license, I suggest you get the registration spaminator addon from @Ozzy47 because it sets up a honey pot for bot registration and will keep away 90% of the bots that auto register and try to get you to convert to their religion or sell you bitcoin.

Also, get the free cloudflare addon https://xenforo.com/community/resources/digitalpoint-app-for-cloudflare®.8750/ and if you don't have a domain yet register it using cloudflare because it's cheaper and easier. Your website should always be behind a reverse proxy like cloudflare because it acts as a firewall to mitigate some internet attacks, speeds up page loads, and is free.

Last edited:
Noticed the following pluses of XF during our reseach:
  • Nice and friendly community.
  • Advanced permission system (yes/no/never).
  • It is fast.
  • Huge marketplace of 3rd party addons.
  • Managing of Smileys.
  • Bookmarks feature.
XF 3.0 will have a brand new style, so we are waiting for it.

Oh, what's the timeline on that?
Does that mean if I were to start something now it would break when the new version is released?

Potentially, so you may want to decide to just use themes other people made for this year, and start making your own custom themes next year this year? when the new version is released.

Side question, what is the upgrade process like for self-hosted? I don't suppose it's automated?

You can go into the admin panel and click upgrade.

Btw, I added more details to my previous comment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom