Should I buy a MacBook Pro?

Should I buy a MacBook Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters
You have never used a Mac in your entire life did you ? Now be honest :)
The first computer I ever used was a Commodore 64, the second was a first generation Mac. Honestly, the Commodore was easier to work with than the Mac. Going from the Mac to an early Compaq running Windows was a revelation. "Wow, working on the computer doesn't have to be an exercise in masochism!" But that was a long time ago.

The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter what kind of computer you use. It's a dumb argument or debate or whatever you want to call it. Really dumb. Who cares? It's like getting in an argument with someone over the name of the band on their t-shirt.

Lots of platform zealots in here. I used to try to convince people what to buy, but the lines have become so blurred over the years that it mostly comes down to subjective and aesthetic measures like you see in this thread.

I regularly switch between Mac, Windows, and Linux and I never have to give up any functionality. 10 years ago the choice of platform was a more important decision than it is today. Now it doesn't really matter.

One thing that makes me prefer Linux and Mac over Windows is security. I am something of a computer hypochondriac. :(
Same here, I'm a platform agnostic. Computers are productivity tools I care what operating system they run as long as I can accomplish the tasks I need to accomplish with them.

Anyway, that said I'm going fire off mini-rant here... I've been through a bunch laptops, starting with the Texas Instruments TravelMate 2000 and going through multiple HP, IBM and Dell units before I got my current 15" Macbook Pro... it is by far the best damned laptop I've ever owned, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one regardless of the price. :)

The first computer I ever used was a Commodore 64, the second was a first generation Mac. Honestly, the Commodore was easier to work with than the Mac. Going from the Mac to an early Compaq running Windows was a revelation. "Wow, working on the computer doesn't have to be an exercise in masochism!" But that was a long time ago.

The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter what kind of computer you use. It's a dumb argument or debate or whatever you want to call it. Really dumb. Who cares? It's like getting in an argument with someone over the name of the band on their t-shirt.
Well this thread is exactly about that: what computer to buy. It seems a bit strange to then say "it doesn't matter". That like saying "BMW, Merc or VW, it doesn't matter". I beg to differ :)

The new mac book air is quite nice. It's an ipad sized notebook with serious enough hardware for me to do what i want, without having to invest in an ipad and then pay $80 or something for some wireless keyboard, etc.

I wouldn't mind replacing my powerbook and 24" imac with a new macbook air and 27" display.

The new Air, to me, seems slightly overpriced, given its specs, and that it's using a CPU from 2008. I should mention though, that the price seems inflated horribly over here in the UK, by at least £118 or so.

The new Air, to me, seems slightly overpriced, given its specs, and that it's using a CPU from 2008. I should mention though, that the price seems inflated horribly over here in the UK, by at least £118 or so.

Yeah, it's actually cheaper for me to fly to the US, go to an apple store, high five someone that's dumb enough to wait in line for something and pay in dollars, fly back, pay customs % and enjoy it at home. I'll save $100 or 100 euro - depending on price of product.

While it is overpriced, it is a nice resolution screen, performs fine enough for what i need it for, and supports displayport to 27" (perhaps 30, can't find details atm). and is light, compact, and an ipad with full os on it .. (thats how i see it, even though its just a revamped macbook air for 50% off).

I wouldn't pay for the 13" though. i rather have a more serious macbook pro 13" for that money. But this gave me option, light small 11" or bit more and get the 13".

And at least it looks quite nice compared to those silly designs of those 250 to 500 notebooks that will not perform too well, wont feel snappy, and is outdated the moment you buy it.

That's just how i look at it.

Yeah, it's actually cheaper for me to fly to the US, go to an apple store, high five someone that's dumb enough to wait in line for something and pay in dollars, fly back, pay customs % and enjoy it at home. I'll save $100 or 100 euro - depending on price of product.

While it is overpriced, it is a nice resolution screen, performs fine enough for what i need it for, and supports displayport to 27" (perhaps 30, can't find details atm). and is light, compact, and an ipad with full os on it .. (thats how i see it, even though its just a revamped macbook air for 50% off).

I wouldn't pay for the 13" though. i rather have a more serious macbook pro 13" for that money. But this gave me option, light small 11" or bit more and get the 13".

And at least it looks quite nice compared to those silly designs of those 250 to 500 notebooks that will not perform too well, wont feel snappy, and is outdated the moment you buy it.

That's just how i look at it.

I agree with a lot of your points. It's resolution is nice. I just don't know whether to get the 11.6 or 13.3 inch one. It does look quite nice, and I'm sure that the system has awesome boot times, but what happens when the flash chips fail? From what I understand, the Air is super-ideal for quick web surfing and productivity, which is my aim.

i would simply not use the air in business, unless it's all blogging and emailing and nothing else.
But .. i would personally use it just to have around the house, the email checker in the bedroom kinda thing. or the thing in my case when im traveling and quickly want to check maps or event details, or whatever. (my info in my pocket).

mind you, if i had an iphone4 i wouldn't have a need for this device. i wouldn't get the 13" because the 13 or 15" mac book pro simply is the step up.

I think this is for those who want a small sexy notebook that isn't a touch device, so they can work on it, blog on it, easy to use, or keep around - starts very fast, and all that.

Yeah .. dont get me started on no ability to replace batteries or have to accept the hard drive (cough..) can't be upgraded yourself. the same with some of their other devices .. unfortuate. but in return we do get appealing design that has my personal preference.

i would easily buy an ipad, but only if it had 3g, i dont want a brick as soon as i lose wifi (that's how it feels).
i want my info in my pocket, access to my systems at home when im on the move, and hold it with one hand, and feel its easy to take with me.

if i wanted to do heavy lifting, ill use a more serious system - i dont need to do that. and i have a system at home.

i would prefer a ipad that's not big, and can call - basically an iphone. so i guess i would get iphone over ipad, ipad OR macbook air over macbook 13"or 15" - and macbook 15" + external monitor instead of imac 27" and i would get mac pro if i needed power, over any of these devices. Since iphone comes with 2 year soulselling and ipad can't be used as a phone, a mobile device that is a full fledged os/system such as 11" macbookair or 13" macbook pro .. is a great replacement, and the extra money covers not having to buy a workstation for home (like imac).

And since iphone over 2 years is 1800 for me, and ipad over 2 years is 1000 for me, and full os, full system 11" is 1000 - no recurring costs .. and no need to buy imac for home system to do lots and lots of typing or graphic design on etc .. its an option in my list that i feel is serious enough an option for me personally.

Well this thread is exactly about that: what computer to buy. It seems a bit strange to then say "it doesn't matter". That like saying "BMW, Merc or VW, it doesn't matter". I beg to differ :)
Agreed, which is what triggered my mini-rant. Like I said the Macbook is the best damned laptop I've ever owned... Yeah, it looks pricey in comparison to wintel rigs, but when really do an, um apples to apples, spec by spec comparison and build a wintel rig comparable to the macbook pro, the price difference isn't really that big. Plus unlike most every wintel rig I've bought the Macbook comes loaded with a set of productivity apps (iLife and if you want iWork) that you can actually use instead of a bunch mostly useless junk. And Apple's customer service and Technical Support is a hell of a lot better than any of the wintel makers I've dealt with.

And the thing I found out...Windows runs faster on a Mac than a PC!
Yep... as MJP touched on, one company, one build quality... and that is the advantage mac have over the bits and pieces approach the PC adopts. Apple have architecture'd their systems with the least I/O points as possible, optimal performance... where PC's are just thrown together, even by techs, as they have no real understanding of PC engineering itself, just this is cool, this one is fast, more this and it will run better, blah blah blah.

I have 1gig of some serious nvidia 3d in a system here, specifically a gaming card, and the 256 in the new imac blows it away running on both an i3 core, 4Gb RAM in both and 22" displays (well, 21.5 for mac)... its just not even a fair fight comparing architectures... Mac wins hands down for overall engineering.

I use my computer primary for internet and webdesign, I just need Photoshop, FTP and a good text editor, I also use my computer to view movies, primary in the MKV format.

Why not back to the subject?
Wii, Apple runs photoshop (and other heavy apps) much more stable and faster than win-pc. I am sure everyone think the same on this..

Why not back to the subject?
Wii, Apple runs photoshop (and other heavy apps) much more stable and faster than win-pc. I am sure everyone think the same on this..
It is the same hardware (in most cases), I get very high preformance out of my PC I have lots of ram and a great processor. I have owned several macs, and still do own 2. I am considering buying another mac laptop. But I really cannot get into using OSX as a replacement for windows as a whole. I think the biggest thing I like about OSX is their touch pad support. It is 10 fold better than anything windows offers.

I guess a forum isn't a forum until the age-old Apple/PC debate has occurred. As a side-note, "laptops" are referred to as notebooks for many reasons, one of which being they're not entirely meant to be used on your lap.

Yep... as MJP touched on, one company, one build quality... and that is the advantage mac have over the bits and pieces approach the PC adopts. Apple have architecture'd their systems with the least I/O points as possible, optimal performance... where PC's are just thrown together, even by techs, as they have no real understanding of PC engineering itself, just this is cool, this one is fast, more this and it will run better, blah blah blah.

I have 1gig of some serious nvidia 3d in a system here, specifically a gaming card, and the 256 in the new imac blows it away running on both an i3 core, 4Gb RAM in both and 22" displays (well, 21.5 for mac)... its just not even a fair fight comparing architectures... Mac wins hands down for overall engineering.
You have no clue what you're talking about.

You've just proven mjp's example; From your assumption, you are clearly thinking of companies like Dell and HP, that tend to throw systems together, and not higher end providers that build their systems for stability, performance and power (Even VoodooPC by HP does this). You're also implying that PC users don't know hardware, because they have so many choices. Try talking to a hardcore gamer, or an engineer about their systems; chances are they'll walk circles around you talking about their systems, which are -far- from thrown together. I myself tend to build my own systems, and every system I have built has lasted me years with only things like hard drive failure (Which happens with Macs just as much, if not more when they use faulty hard drives :rolleyes:), and not one of those is thrown together.

A system is made up of more then a 1gig video card; post a spec to spec comparison, and I'll point out why your PC didn't work well. Its not that your Mac is 'built better' (In that the hardware is different or anything), it is that it was built to work together, and that you didn't know what you were doing when you built or bought your PC.

People need to stop comparing mac and PC hardware unless they know what they're talking about, and they sure as hell better compare similar specs for the system. The only difference between a PC (Windows or Linux) and Mac is the OS.

I guess a forum isn't a forum until the age-old Apple/PC debate has occurred. As a side-note, "laptops" are referred to as notebooks for many reasons, one of which being they're not entirely meant to be used on your lap.
LOL, yup... Next up sex, politics and religion... :p

Top Bottom