Should I buy a MacBook Pro?

Should I buy a MacBook Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters
The best buy I ever did, seriously.

15" is enough btw, but I use a cinema screen with it to transform it into a desktop!

I have a MBP 15" and if i had to chose between this or a PC, i'll take the PC. Mac's are so butt backwards its annoying. The window resize is the most annoying feature. I would go to an apple store and play with one for an hour or so.

Yeah, I have played with it several times (the Macbook ;)), and I still can't decide.....arghhhh
I'm also considering a HP with the Dreamcolor screen, which should be the best laptop screen in the market, and I may be able to get it for the same price as the Macbook 15" with matte screen, we'll see...

You get used to the differences trust me. It takes a while I'll give you that, but once you know how it works it's like a very nice car and just feels like it's 'you'.

And I'm no fanboy btw, I use a Logitech mouse because they are simply better. If PC's get better than Mac than it's back to PC's.

One problem I see with Macs (when I think about it) is the lack of free programs, for PC I can find programs for whatever I desire, but it's much harder for Macs.

Yeah, I have played with it several times (the Macbook ;)), and I still can't decide.....arghhhh
I'm also considering a HP with the Dreamcolor screen, which should be the best laptop screen in the market, and I may be able to get it for the same price as the Macbook 15" with matte screen, we'll see...
If you're going to go for a computer, and actually want high end, do not go for HP/Dell. You usually get low end hardware, which is why they fail regularly.

My personal favorite for systems I don't build myself is either http://ibuypower.com or http://www.sagernotebook.com/. Sager is much more expensive, but the sheer power of their systems makes up for the cost. iBuypower tends to be my goto for sheer options and price.

As for the Mac/PC debate again... You pay more for Mac when there is very little difference in hardware. Casing, logicboard, and wiring are about all thats different for hardware. They're good for the things you need them for, but as a daily use system, I tend to avoid it :). You also get completely locked in to using what they say you can use, where with PC you can use Windows, Linux and Hackintosh if you go that route.

I won't argue that HP have their issues (to be fair, I think this is normally system design at fault ) but I've not had that experience with Dell, on the contrary.

This is a nice little summary from SquareTrade, based upon 30,000 notebooks over three years. My experience with Asus is consistent to those results, and I'm typing this on a nearly four-year-old Asus G1 notebook that still rocks.
17nov09compach0qw83.jpg

I have my doubts about the reliability of such data tbh... although it does contain some trends that I have seen returning elsewhere...

I won't argue that HP have their issues (to be fair, I think this is normally system design at fault ) but I've not had that experience with Dell, on the contrary.

This is a nice little summary from SquareTrade, based upon 30,000 notebooks over three years. My experience with Asus is consistent to those results, and I'm typing this on a nearly four-year-old Asus G1 notebook that still rocks.
For the most part that graph looks correct, however there are a few that I can't really agree with from experience in either repairing or troubleshooting for people:

Sony Vaio tend to have a much higher failure rating then 16.8%.

Apple, if maintained properly should last much longer then the lifespan mentioned there.

Dell has a higher failure rating for their average laptop. They tend to have sever heating issues, and malfunction due to that.

Lenovo I have had less problems with then most systems (I've got severa Lenovo Thinkpads that are close 5+ years old, or older).

The rest looks correct, but the problem with graphs like that are what price range were the laptops compared at? If you compare a low-end laptop to a higher-end laptop that failed due to constant use, the statistics become completely pointless.

I have seriously considered a MacBook Pro [...] should I do it?
I wouldn't buy a computer from a phone company, but that's just me.

Take the money you have set aside for a Mac and buy a pc and a solid gold, jewel-encrusted pimp cup. The cup will get you more more tail than the phone/computer.

Just saying.

Take the money you have set aside for a Mac and buy a pc and a solid gold, jewel-encrusted pimp cup. The cup will get you more more tail than the phone/computer.

Just saying.
Gold plated maybe... Not even unlocked iPhones would get a solid gold pimp cup.

They've put more effort into the mobile market (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) than they have into their computer line recently.
Since the phone is the only thing keeping Apple from being little more than a fond memory, that's understandable.

Their marketing skills are admirable, can't deny that.

Just saying.

They are first and foremost a computer company. Whats wrong with expanding your organization to new markets?

They are first and foremost a computer company. Whats wrong with expanding your organization to new markets?
Exactly, after all, just because it's not common to use, HP has the Palm Pre. And Microsoft is heading to the smartphone market with the Windows Phone 7, Asus has the Asus P527 Windows Mobile smartphone, Dell Aero is Dell's entry into the market, and I'm sure there are more. Apple's only smartphone is the iPhone. The iPad and the iPod are NOT phones.

Compare what they've done with computers to what they've done in the mobile market this past decade.

They've focused more on the mobile market, which has seen an upward trend for the last 10 years, and have put advance breakthroughs for computers on the backburner.

Exactly, after all, just because it's not common to use, HP has the Palm Pre. And Microsoft is heading to the smartphone market with the Windows Phone 7, Asus has the Asus P527 Windows Mobile smartphone, Dell Aero is Dell's entry into the market, and I'm sure there are more. Apple's only smartphone is the iPhone. The iPad and the iPod are NOT phones.

I said the mobile market, not the cell phone market. Mobile includes the iPad and the iPod, which has smartphone-like capabilities (Internet browsing, sending/receiving calls, applications).

All those companies you mentioned are still predominantly computer companies, who have released or developed a mobile phone/mobile product solution. Apple completely changed its business focus and has put much more effort into their mobile line, rather then into the computer line.

I said the mobile market, not the cell phone market. Mobile includes the iPad and the iPod, which has smartphone-like capabilities (Internet browsing, sending/receiving calls, applications).

While the iPad and iPod can browse the internet, the only one that can send/receive phone calls is the iPhone unless you use Skype which isn't really the same.

And while Apple may be focusing on the mobile market, HP isn't far behind in changing it's focus: HP’s deal with Palm will change mobile computing landscape
The deal could take the heat off IBM, Oracle and Dell, as HP will now turn its energy into the mobile consumer market again. In the past couple of years, HP invested heavily in computing services for corporations.

Top Bottom