s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.6

No permission to download
Those are short links, which need to be resolved to their canonical form by your server. It works fine on my computer but it's possible your server is having issues contacting Reddit's servers, or they are on a network that's being blocked because it's associated with robots/spammers.

Open the short link in a browser then post the page's real URL directly to your forums, that way your server won't have to resolve it.
Ah I bet that is it. I appreciate the information @JoshyPHP . (y)

Hello :)
Running XF 2.1 and your addon v 2.7.11
Since few days it appears that Amazon links are displaying error (not able to find the site) instead of the widget :

2024-01-06 17_25_40-HELP ! - écran noir après nouvelle RAM _ Le forum des portables Asus — Mo...webp

Is there anyway to manually fix this by our side to avoid updating the addon ?

Thanks for answer.

Regards

Amazon widgets are broken for us also.
I've removed the Amazon affiliate IDs, but Amazon links are still getting parsed and therefore broken.
How do I have this addon ignore Amazon links altogether?
I have had to disable the addon for now.

Last edited:
You never have to disable the whole add-on to handle a misbehaving site. Just can disable each site separately. Furthermore, depending on the issue, it is also possible to edit the site and check the option that says Do not auto-embed links from this site. That way, new links won't be converted into [MEDIA] BBCodes.

I intened to provide a way to replace old embeds with a link but I haven't determined the best way to do that so it will take a few days.

Amazon widgets are broken for us also.
I've removed the Amazon affiliate IDs, but Amazon links are still getting parsed and therefore broken.
How do I have this addon ignore Amazon links altogether?
I have had to disable the addon for now.
Just came here specifically to point out the Amazon thing and seek a solution. Glad I am not the only one.

My quick work around is to enable "Add a link to Amazon product embeds" in the add-on settings.
This way the broken link still has some link functionality... and ironically ever since my affiliate conversion rate has picked up.

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 13.13.14.webp

Still looking forward to a fix to how it used to work.

Still looking forward to a fix to how it used to work.

Sadly, that won't happen as Amazon has discontinued that feature. The best you can achieve if to find an add-on that recreates the layout using Amazon API. I know that some Wordpress plugins do that, but I don't know about XenForo's.

The next add-on update will replace the non-functional iframe with a link placeholder until I find a permanent solution. If you're an Amazon Affiliate, your best path forward is to install a specialized add-on for it. I've just sent a dm to @AndyB to see if we can provide a seamless upgrade path, but if there are other similar Amazon/affiliate add-ons out there, tell their author to contact me.

Have re-enabled the addon.

I’ve used this one for a long time
And I re-enabled the Amazon IDs in that addon.

The additional link option mentioned above Add a link to Amazon product embeds has never done anything on my site.

Just can disable each site separately.
How? Can’t see where to do that.
It’s probably better not to have had the Amazon embed anyway since Adblock breaks it. Mute point, now.
Thanks.

I’ve used this one for a long time
Cool, I'll take a look at it as soon as I have a moment.

How? Can’t see where to do that.
Admin panel > Content > BB code media sites. You can toggle each of them directly, or you can edit them and toggle either Enabled or Do not auto-embed links from this site if you want to keep it enabled but not automatically embed new links.

Are we sure this isn't just an intermittent issue and it may be restored?
It don't look to good.

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Updated Amazon, Bandcamp. ⚠️ Read this is you're an Amazon associate ⚠️

As of January 1st, 2024, Amazon has discontinued their Product Link widget. That's the little snippet that shows the product with its name and its current price, which this add-on used. There is no replacement planned and therefore Amazon will be removed from this add-on at some point in the future. I will publish the cutoff date beforehand, with more time to react than Amazon gave their own associates.

For now, I have replaced all Amazon embeds with a text link so that you don't end up...

Read the rest of this update entry...

New additions are focused on popular and trending sites. If you know of a particularly popular site whose content can be embedded, you can inquire about it in the discussion thread. Don't forget to include an example of a URL whose content can be embedded. Alternatively, you may start a conversation with me if you want to sponsor the addition of a site. Otherwise, you can always create new media sites for yourself using XenForo's BB code media site manager. This is a default XenForo feature that requires no add-on.

Switching the Amazon embeds to just a link (with associates referral code) is a good compromise. If I have a lot of amazon products already referenced in my forum(s), will they stay converted from URL links to MEDIA bbcode (even though they are now rendered as simple links)? If you remove amazon in the future, how will that affect existing amazon MEDIA codes?

New additions are focused on popular and trending sites. If you know of a particularly popular site whose content can be embedded, you can inquire about it in the discussion thread. Don't forget to include an example of a URL whose content can be embedded. Alternatively, you may start a conversation with me if you want to sponsor the addition of a site. Otherwise, you can always create new media sites for yourself using XenForo's BB code media site manager. This is a default XenForo feature that requires no add-on.
Well, I have started a political forum and arguably the most notable figure in politics has his own social media platform, Truth Social.

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/111715619034102849

Thanks either way.

It might work with existing mastodon integration. Iirc ts is using a fork of mastodon.

Checked. It does work.
Do I have to configure something in settings? Sorry, on mobile walking dog so can't look too deep at the moment.

Thanks so much for figuring it out.

If you remove amazon in the future, how will that affect existing amazon MEDIA codes?
I haven't decided yet. I won't leave them blank. I could create a small add-on to fix old posts in the database, or I can hack XenForo's renderer to display a link even after the Amazon media site is removed. I'm weighing my options.

Well, I have started a political forum and arguably the most notable figure in politics has his own social media platform, Truth Social.
Judging by the numbers, Truth Social has a small dedicated audience, and it would probably be better handled in a separate add-on if someone wants to sponsor its creation. If that's you, then send me a direct message and I'll look into it, otherwise I'll wait for it to really blow up in popularity.

there are some formatting issues. not sure if they are specific to TS or Mastodon as I do not embed a lot of Masto links.

You just need to add TS domain in the mastodon box in addon settings.

Attachments

• 1704659699293.webp
    1704659699293.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom