s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.3

No permission to download
I want to install and use this addon for instgram integration. When I look at FAQ page I see that :

Q: Does this add-on replace the default media sites?
A: Yes, it replaces several of XenForo 2.0 media sites such as Twitter or YouTube. The new versions of those media sites are backward compatible, with the exception of Tumblr posts which may need to be re-embedded to work.
Just before starting to use this addon I want to be sure if somehow I have to uninstall this addon at future, what will be happened to old media links at posts ? For example will old youtube video links still be shown by xenforo default method ?

Last edited:
The add-on is meant to be able to handle all of the old media embeds that were posted before the add-on was installed, except maybe some Tumblr posts. I've just looked at XenForo's current default sites and I saw a couple of additions since the last time I checked. There may be some issues with some Reddit links, SoundCloud and/or Spotify, I'd need to run some tests to be sure. Either way, the goal is to be able to handle them seamlessly. Old embeds are displayed with this add-on so their size may be different.

Now what about if you uninstall the add-on? Any link that would have been supported should still be supported. That means YouTube videos, with or without timestamp still work the same. I see that XenForo has added support for YouTube playlist since the last time I checked; It's in a different format than this add-on so I'll have to add a compatibility layer to make them backward/forward-compatible. That means that right now if you post a YouTube video, it doesn't matter whether the add-on is or was installed, it still works/will work the same. The same will apply to YouTube playlists starting with the next feature release.

Finally, if you embed content that is supported by this add-on but not by the default XenForo installation, that content will either disappear or appear broken if you uninstall the add-on.

Last edited:
JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Improved compatibility with XenForo's default media sites, PHP 8.1

Compatibility with the default media sites installed by XenForo 2.2 has been improved both ways; Most media that were embedded using a default media site work seamlessly after the add-on is installed. Media embedded via this add-on still work if the add-on is uninstalled, provided the media is supported by XenForo's default media sites. The new additions include support for SoundCloud, Spotify, and YouTube playlists.

Support for PHP 8.1 has been improved.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Do you have an example of such an URL? You'll need to post it in a code block so it doesn't get unfurled here.
Sorry, just got round to investigating this.

It's possibly urls that do not have /episodes/ in the url.

This url works:

Code:
https://shows.acast.com/theextrainch/episodes/repainting-tottenham

This url does not:

Code:
https://shows.acast.com/thefightingcock/s11e20-from-tottenham-to-newcastle

It's possibly urls that do not have /episodes/ in the url.

Yes, I can confirm that's why the URLs were not picked up by the add-on. Where do you get that kind of URLs from? When you visit that kind of URL, it redirects to the canonical URL which has the "episodes/" part. That's also what the "Share" button on Acast returns.

I've just added support for those "episodes"-less URLs. Hopefully it won't cause unwanted side-effects.

Yes, I can confirm that's why the URLs were not picked up by the add-on. Where do you get that kind of URLs from? When you visit that kind of URL, it redirects to the canonical URL which has the "episodes/" part. That's also what the "Share" button on Acast returns.

I've just added support for those "episodes"-less URLs. Hopefully it won't cause unwanted side-effects.
They appear in one of Acast's RSS feeds. I'm speaking to them about it so could just be an issue with that feed. Thanks anyway, that seems to be working fine.

I can't find in the list some popular Cloud services like Mega.nz and pCloud and I'm wondering is there is a technical reason that they're not supporting.
Actually I tried to add Mega.nz on my own, but didn't succeeded it. The funny thing is that if someone clicks the link the browser shows the video fine.
Have post in Support forum but no reply till now.

I can't find in the list some popular Cloud services like Mega.nz and pCloud and I'm wondering is there is a technical reason that they're not supporting.

None that I know of. File storage services don't usually provide a way to embed their content, file sharing sites rarely offer a way to (hot-)link to files directly. I don't support any such sites in this add-on simply because their main purpose is to distribute files rather than embed them, so most of the time people will prefer leaving the links as they are.

DM me an example of the kind of URLs you're trying to embed I'll take a look at it.

None that I know of. File storage services don't usually provide a way to embed their content, file sharing sites rarely offer a way to (hot-)link to files directly. I don't support any such sites in this add-on simply because their main purpose is to distribute files rather than embed them, so most of the time people will prefer leaving the links as they are.

DM me an example of the kind of URLs you're trying to embed I'll take a look at it.
All that I tried (Mega.nz, pCloud, OK.ru) provide both URL and Embed code. Sure there is a "restriction". To work the owner must set sharing for it so everybody can access (watch) it.

Here is an example for Mega.nz
Code:
<iframe width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" src="https://mega.nz/embed/ZohlVIaA#W7npwMi1OhOutxf3l3MCm_Rzz5Ko3nufNTypAp4JKd8" allowfullscreen ></iframe>
and here is the direct link for the same file:

Even if it appears as broken link, if you click it, you'll see that works.

The reason your custom media site doesn't work is because you need to match the URL using PCRE, using the Advanced options. Those settings work on my local install:
Code:
Match URLs:     (https://mega.nz/(?:embed|file)/(?<id>\w+#\w+))
Embed template: <iframe width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" src="https://mega.nz/embed/{$id}" allowfullscreen></iframe>

☑ Use 'Match URLs' as PCRE regular expressions

It will only match those URLs with a # part.

This is probably a noob question, but I'm trying to create a new tag that will just turn youtube links into the thumbnail image when it's wrapped in the youtubethumb tag. I've turned on regex matching and using the same match URL as the normal youtube one but it's coming out blank.

Have I set it up wrong or is it conflicting with the normal youtube tag? I've tried to no avil

1635083125839.png

Last edited:
This is probably a noob question, but I'm trying to create a new tag that will just turn youtube links into the thumbnail image when it's wrapped in the youtubethumb tag. I've turned on regex matching and using the same match URL as the normal youtube one but it's coming out blank.
Your regexp doesn't actually capture any text for the ID. It won't work if you try copying the settings used in the add-on, you'll be better off copying the default YouTube media site or any media site tutorial. There's another issue in that I don't know how XenForo handles multiple media sites that match the same URL. You'd probably have to disable the regular YouTube embed. You may want to ask in the general support forum about it.

In theory, yes, but that's not a site I'd want to add to the add-on. You may be able to create a custom media site for it. https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/bbcode/#bb-code-media-sites

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Added support for custom URL fallback

This update contains a new feature that you will find in the add-on's option or the "Media embedding" section of your admin panel. It will add a selector that will affect how embedding media works. You will get to choose between the regular [MEDIA] tag (which is the default position) or a customized [URL] with a media attribute. Here is an example of such a custom tag:
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"...

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Love
Reactions: Xon
Checked the database. It does not seem to add unfurled url data to the database so it would likely appear as a normal link and is likely not going to show a preview or even the title fetched from the URL. Unless of course it is already unfurled or is unfurled later 😁. Still a cool update! Thanks!

It does not immediately add the unfurl'ing thing to the database because I don't want to spend resources on embedded media that will likely never actually be unfurl'ed and I thought that XenForo would eventually catchup later if an unfurl=true link is being displayed. You're right though, completely new URLs (never unfurl'ed before) don't get unfurl'ed later. Until now I'd only tested videos that had been unfurl'ed in an unrelated context.

That's something I'll look into, so thanks for the heads-up.

Top Bottom