s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.5

No permission to download
Thanks for all this: it's a lot of work.

Separately, I'm hesitating over installing it as you have in the FAQ:

Q: There used to be an option to speed up threads with many videos, where did it go?
A: The add-on is designed to defer loading embeds until they are displayed on screen. This is generally referred to as lazy loading and it is turned on by default.

There's no way in hell I'd have Lazy Load anywhere near a website of mine, so I was terrified in case you meant XenForo 2 had included it forumwise and I would need have to hunt down a switch to turn it off --- but googling found nothing.

If it is part of the add on, how does one turn off this annoying 'feature' ?

@Claverhouse I notice you capitalized "Lazy Load" so I assume there is a specific software called "Lazy Load" that you want to avoid, and you don't have an irrational fear of the programming technique known as lazy loading? In which case let me reassure you, this add-on doesn't use that program. Lazy loading is a programming technique that makes it so that things aren't loaded until they are actually needed. In this case, it doesn't load YouTube videos or other embeds unless they are displayed on screen.

If you still want to disable it somehow, there's no option for it but you may be able to toggle its code listener somewhere in the admin panel. I'm not sure whether that XenForo feature is available when XenForo isn't in development mode though.

Last edited:
No I capitalised Lazy Load as a specific technique, of the exact type you detail. I detest it as much as I do Infinite Scroll: along with Fat Slab Flat Style these things deface the Internet. But thank you for answering so quickly, and thank you for creating this even if I don't use it.

Seeing any issues with Chrome and Twitter embeds as of today on your test forum Joshy?

No, they're fine here. If you have an adblocker installed with an automated block list, check out that they haven't decided to block Twitter.

No I capitalised Lazy Load as a specific technique, of the exact type you detail. I detest it as much as I do Infinite Scroll: along with Fat Slab Flat Style these things deface the Internet. But thank you for answering so quickly, and thank you for creating this even if I don't use it.

Ok, the name seemed familiar. I've just realized it was because of this Lazy Load add-on, which defers images loading and coincidentally was updated today.

So what you don't like isn't lazy loading per se, it's infinite scrolls. I agree, 99% of them suck. Mostly it's because the page keeps getting longer, the layout keeps changing, elements jump around and it's disruptive. It's not nearly the same when lazy-loading media embeds because they are already on the page and their dimensions are often known in advance. (e.g. every YouTube video is 640 x 360) I think that most of the time, people don't notice that things are being loaded just in time.

@broken How did you get that URL? Try again with the "share" URL, that should work better. Here's what I got in the list of supported URLs for Brightcove:

Code:
http://bcove.me/rpuseykd
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid34762914001?bctid=66379363001
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3936710530001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA3LlbZiE~,0uzoN5xJpHsvpxPw-K2_CalW5-PE-Ti2&bctid=4669818674001

No, they're fine here. If you have an adblocker installed with an automated block list, check out that they haven't decided to block Twitter.
I am testing on browsers without and adblock even installed not to mention enabled.

https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/ask-amod-thread.6/post-2439547

This is a test post so you can see if you would like. I can open the same tweet external to the forum and have no issue. Is there some kind of issue with the style or the addon that I am not seeing?

EDIT: I think it is an issue with the ToS pop up from twitter wanting to set a cookie.

The embedded tweet works fine for me in Chromium 67 and in Firefox 60 if I disable "Tracking Protection". It appears that Firefox blocks Twitter by default.

No, Firefox blocks the whole domain including the site's icon that should be displayed in the placeholder. Any workaround that allows Twitter to be displayed with Tracking Protection on would get patched by Mozilla, and a proxy service would probably get shut down by Twitter themselves.

@JoshyPHP i tried to embed this reddit video and it turned into half a post:

1526358046257.webp

here's the original:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

is there a way to let that expand? it seems to auto-play despite not being completely visible.

I'm getting server errors for twitter embeds, so it's not client side:

1526380386890.webp

Code:
Stack trace
#0 [internal function]: XF\Template\Templater->handleTemplateError(512, 'Template public...', '/home/spillegal...', 583, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(583): trigger_error('Template public...', 512)
#2 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(538): XF\Template\Templater->getTemplateData('public', '_media_site_emb...')
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1248): XF\Template\Templater->getTemplateCode('public', '_media_site_emb...')
#4 src/addons/s9e/MediaSites/Renderer.php(50): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('public:_media_s...', Array)
#5 [internal function]: s9e\MediaSites\Renderer::render('984763344576962...', Array, 'twitter')
#6 src/XF/BbCode/Renderer/Html.php(682): call_user_func(Array, '984763344576962...', Array, 'twitter')
#7 [internal function]: XF\BbCode\Renderer\Html->renderTagMedia(Array, 'twitter', Array, Array, Object(XF\BbCode\Renderer\Html))
#8 src/XF/BbCode/Renderer/Html.php(247): call_user_func(Array, Array, 'twitter', Array, Array, Object(XF\BbCode\Renderer\Html))
#9 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(54): XF\BbCode\Renderer\Html->renderTag(Array, Array)
#10 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(30): XF\BbCode\Traverser->renderSubTree(Array, Array)
#11 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(18): XF\BbCode\Traverser->renderAst(Array, Object(XF\BbCode\RuleSet), Array)
#12 src/XF/SubContainer/BbCode.php(216): XF\BbCode\Traverser->render('Vil se. \n[MEDIA...', Object(XF\BbCode\Parser), Object(XF\BbCode\RuleSet), Array)
#13 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1863): XF\SubContainer\BbCode->render('Vil se. \n[MEDIA...', 'html', 'post', Object(XF\Entity\Post), Array)
#14 [internal function]: XF\Template\Templater->fnBbCode(Object(XF\Template\Templater), false, 'Vil se. \n[MEDIA...', 'post', Object(XF\Entity\Post))
#15 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(880): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#16 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s43/public/post_macros.php(121): XF\Template\Templater->fn('bb_code', Array, true)
#17 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(662): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#18 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s43/public/thread_view.php(537): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('post_macros', 'post', Array, Array)
#19 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1249): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(XF\Template\Templater), Array)
#20 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('public:thread_v...', Array)
#21 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#22 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(332): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('XF:Thread\\View', 'public:thread_v...', Array)
#23 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(303): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#24 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(44): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#25 src/XF/App.php(1894): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#26 src/XF.php(328): XF\App->run()
#27 index.php(13): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#28 {main}

EDIT: This looks like the errors posted about on the previous page, I'll try a complete uninstall/install.

Last edited:
is there a way to let that expand? it seems to auto-play despite not being completely visible.

No, the resizing is done by Reddit, nothing we can do about that. You can try your luck and ask them about it. It works fine in my browser, so it's probably browser/device-specific.

EDIT: This looks like the errors posted about on the previous page, I'll try a complete uninstall/install.

That kind of errors can happen if the install was interrupted, so a reinstall will generally fix it.

It wasn't interrupted, but the disabled XF1 edition was uninstalled afterwards (I just upgraded to XF2.0). Maybe that did something?

Reinstall worked wonderfully.

Ok, I've just updated the page to prevent the error it caused but the reason the video won't play is due to Chrome's autoplay policy which doesn't seem to accept the first click as an interaction with the document. I don't think there's anything we or Twitter can do.

The relevant error message is below:
build.min.js:148 Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: play() failed because the user didn't interact with the document first.

I'll look into it, see if there's a way to work around the new policy.

Top Bottom