Resources: Foreign Currencies

Matthew Hawley

What do you think about having to pay for an addon/style in a foreign currency? Do you think that maybe the author doesn't know how much they are really charging in USD?

I think the author knows how much they want to charge in their own currency, and that is their right to do so. The price may be displayed in a foreign currency to you, but PayPal automatically converts it for you into your account's local currency. You can also get an idea by using Google, e.g. 40 GBP to USD.

So really I don't see what the issue is. I can't display the price of my add-ons in USD just so that the currency conversion is easier for some.

And, whether an author knows the current exchange rate or not right now, there's no point in displaying that in the resource description (for the reasons mentioned above for a start) and also it can very quickly fluctuate either way.

So, basically, it's all down to you as a customer to know what you're buying and how much that will cost. Not the resource author. And referring it to a "foreign currency" is a bit false. At the end of the day, you get charged in your OWN currency. You pay in your own currency. And either way it's all money. Simple as that.

What do you think about having to pay for an addon/style in a foreign currency? Do you think that maybe the author doesn't know how much they are really charging in USD?
If is see GBP, then I automatically add about 60% to the price. No big deal - it just requires you to be somewhat familiar with other currencies that are commonly used. The variance currently stays around 50% - 60% for the British pounds sterling.
By the same token, you don't see those add-ons that are advertised in USD displaying how much it cost the fine folks over in the UK to purchase, or how much it costs for the folks that use the Euro.

See, to me as an Englishman, the American dollar is a "foreign" currency. So that term is both incredibly subjective and a little inappropriate for a global business. The truth is that until the world turns sideways and we all switch to Bitcoin (:p) there is no universal or "correct" currency, and it could easily be argued that there shouldn't be.

Usually, when I pay for an add-on I'm paying via PayPal - which converts it for me and tells me how much I'm due to pay before I commit to spending money. Alternately, "19 USD in GBP" into Google does the same thing. And I have it extremely easy - many of my favourite add-on authors charge in pounds sterling. Imagine if you were, say, Japanese and had to convert everything into yen first. Maybe we should all price our add-ons in yen so they don't have to convert everything into a foreign currency...

In a world comprised of far more than just Americans and American money, you can't expect a universal (read: American) way of doing things. PayPal automatically converts these currencies to your own with either a tiny fee or no fee at all, and it takes literally ten seconds or less to use Google to convert them.

Last edited:
If is see GBP, then I automatically add about 60% to the price. No big deal - it just requires you to be somewhat familiar with other currencies that are commonly used. The variance currently stays around 50% - 60% for the British pounds sterling.
By the same token, you don't see those add-ons that are advertised in USD displaying how much it cost the fine folks over in the UK to purchase, or how much it costs for the folks that use the Euro.
Sounds about right (currently it would 62%)

Top Bottom