New Monitor

Kim

Bought a new monitor today.. an Asus VH242 (I have a tiny little Asus desktop)

Not happy :(

I have fiddled, and adjusted and tried HDMI and VGA and Gamma and I don't like it.

It's too light, colours are off and it's like surfing the net through a snow storm.

I have never bought a monitor before that needed any fiddling, other than maybe a driver, this one had no drivers.

It's going back tomorrow.

Boy I was tempted to just buy an iMac.. they had a 27" for a very good price.. but I don't really have the budget right now to go that way (what with software etc)

I do have photoshop installed, will look for Adobe Gamma, I have tried another gamma test thingie, but it didn't really help.. it really feels like it needs it's own drivers or something, however none came with it, and I can't find one online.. so I am thinking it doesn't have one... but urgh!

Do you mean an OS thing? I use Vista, and in the monitor settings it has "Generic monitor" not this one specifically.

It looked super in the store, I am sure it is a setting somewhere.

Will look at that calibration.

Do you mean an OS thing? I use Vista, and in the monitor settings it has "Generic monitor" not this one specifically.]
Generic Monitor is a good starting point.

Perhaps try resetting the display to factory settings and start again with it?

I believe I know why the drivers are missing. It's an outdated model. I just hit the global site searching their product line and it's showing 0 results with that product number. So yes, I would return it.

Hmmm interesting, Thanks Liz, will look into that tomorrow.

The drivers aren't actually missing, it didn't have any, as in nothing in the box.

And the Asus site has old drivers.. I just got one yesterday for my 2 year old mini desktop... so it's not that they are missing, just never had them.

Replace it with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6421&cm_re=ips_monitor-_-24-116-421-_-Product

Your monitor uses one of the cheapest TN panels. My brother has the same one but it doesn't look as bad as you're describing.

Hi Turtile... thanks will look and see if I can find one, the problem is I am in Australia, in the regions not even a major city, so my choices of "buy now" are somewhat limited, I can order online, but then I have to wait.. and now I have given my lovely beautiful sexy older monitor to my son, who is point blank refusing to give it back LOL.

What is a TN panel?

The monitor wasn't that cheap either.. so that is annoying if it is inferior quality.

Hi Turtile... thanks will look and see if I can find one, the problem is I am in Australia, in the regions not even a major city, so my choices of "buy now" are somewhat limited, I can order online, but then I have to wait.. and now I have given my lovely beautiful sexy older monitor to my son, who is point blank refusing to give it back LOL.

What is a TN panel?

The monitor wasn't that cheap either.. so that is annoying if it is inferior quality.

I have to buy all my stuff online since we don't even have a computer store anywhere close to where I live. TN panels have already been explained - not something you want if color matters. You probably paid a lot more for the monitor at a physical store than online. My brother bought his for $150 (including a rebate).

Top Bottom