1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Monitor

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kim, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Bought a new monitor today.. an Asus VH242 (I have a tiny little Asus desktop)

Not happy :(

I have fiddled, and adjusted and tried HDMI and VGA and Gamma and I don't like it.

It's too light, colours are off and it's like surfing the net through a snow storm.

I have never bought a monitor before that needed any fiddling, other than maybe a driver, this one had no drivers.

It's going back tomorrow.

Boy I was tempted to just buy an iMac.. they had a 27" for a very good price.. but I don't really have the budget right now to go that way (what with software etc)

2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Do you have Photoshop installed? Try fiddling with Adobe Gamma to see if you can get anywhere with it.

It's also possible that your computer is still using the display profile for your older display - can you check that?

The last thing to do would be to look at doing a basic calibration for it - http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/colorcalibration/a/cal_monitor.htm

And if all that fails... maybe look at returning it?

projectego likes this.
  3. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

I do have photoshop installed, will look for Adobe Gamma, I have tried another gamma test thingie, but it didn't really help.. it really feels like it needs it's own drivers or something, however none came with it, and I can't find one online.. so I am thinking it doesn't have one... but urgh!

Do you mean an OS thing? I use Vista, and in the monitor settings it has "Generic monitor" not this one specifically.

It looked super in the store, I am sure it is a setting somewhere.

Will look at that calibration.

4. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Generic Monitor is a good starting point.

Perhaps try resetting the display to factory settings and start again with it?

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Kim which 242 model is it...trying to find your driver.

6. Elizabeth

7. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Thanks hun, already done that as the first thing we tried, there is no drivers on there :)

8. Elizabeth

Kim, have another solution but it's in a PC for you

9. Elizabeth

I believe I know why the drivers are missing. It's an outdated model. I just hit the global site searching their product line and it's showing 0 results with that product number. So yes, I would return it.

Jethro likes this.
  10. turtile

turtile Well-Known Member

11. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Hmmm interesting, Thanks Liz, will look into that tomorrow.

The drivers aren't actually missing, it didn't have any, as in nothing in the box.

And the Asus site has old drivers.. I just got one yesterday for my 2 year old mini desktop... so it's not that they are missing, just never had them.

12. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Hi Turtile... thanks will look and see if I can find one, the problem is I am in Australia, in the regions not even a major city, so my choices of "buy now" are somewhat limited, I can order online, but then I have to wait.. and now I have given my lovely beautiful sexy older monitor to my son, who is point blank refusing to give it back LOL.

What is a TN panel?

The monitor wasn't that cheap either.. so that is annoying if it is inferior quality.

13. Elizabeth

For Photoshop, they will replace your PC copy with a Mac copy. Here is how to do it: http://www.ehow.com/how_6158009_switch-platforms-photoshop.html

14. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

It is... at least a panel I wouldn't buy if you care about good viewing angles and ditto colour reproduction...

15. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

It is what?

And obviously colour reproduction is very important to me.

16. Elizabeth

17. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Hmm Ok, thanks Liz.

Looks like this one is going back.

18. turtile

turtile Well-Known Member

I have to buy all my stuff online since we don't even have a computer store anywhere close to where I live. TN panels have already been explained - not something you want if color matters. You probably paid a lot more for the monitor at a physical store than online. My brother bought his for $150 (including a rebate).

19. John

John Well-Known Member

Go Mac...you'll never go back ;)

Dragonfly and Elizabeth like this.
  20. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

I was like *this close*

Just wasn't really expecting to buy a whole new system today :p