New Monitor

Do the 27", as it gives you far more usable space to easily have side by side windows that are clearly readable... the 21.5" doesn't have enough space to have two windows side by side with ease.

I have an ASUS 232H (very similar model) and I can confirm that the panels used in these monitors pretty much suck. Mine completely fails the lagom.nl viewing angle test. I think it's safe to say that the panel is quite cheap. Fortunately I got mine for under $200 (I was going for a cheap monitor to begin with), so I'm not too disappointed.

Personally, I'll never go with a desktop Mac. I'll always build my own PC's. I'm not going to pay the 'Mac premium', and since I do a lot of gaming, I want to be able to control what is inside my PC.

I use an NEC Multisync EA231WMi. At $340 it is one of the cheapest IPS monitors you will find... and its 10x better than any TN film monitor, no matter how expensive you go. I also don't notice any lag.

Erik, response time is not the same as input lag. Response time is the amount of time it takes for a pixel to go from black, to white, and back to black again. Faster response times mean less ghosting. However, between TN film and IPS, the technology is different. A 14ms IPS monitor looks better than a 4ms TN film monitor since the only reason TN film monitors get their response times so low is with "cheating" (which I wont get into now).

Either way, if you are looking for 60 frames per second in a monitor, that means your frames are 16.7ms long... 14ms is still lower than that; so you won't notice any ghosting.

Well I ended up replacing it with an LG, it's pretty good, backlit LED, a lot better than the last one, but still hangin out for my Mac... The very lovely young man helping me was using this cool Apple lappy to do some research, I though it looked fantastic, not that I would buy a lappy for myself, but I was very impressed.

I will get the 27" next year... will be asking you all for advice before I do though :)

Actually I have just remembered one of my good clients offered to pay me with a Mac.. hmmm wonder if you can get them converted to 240v and Aussie power connection easily?

I would just get a nice 24" Dell or Samsung that has display port on it, so when you get your iMac you can use it as second monitor :p

Well I ended up replacing it with an LG, it's pretty good, backlit LED, a lot better than the last one, but still hangin out for my Mac... The very lovely young man helping me was using this lovely cool Apple lappy to do some research, I though it looked fantastic, not that I would buy a lappy for myself, but I was very impressed.

I will get the 27" next year... will be asking you all for advice before I do though :)

Actually I have just remembered one of my good clients offered to pay me with a Mac.. hmmm wonder if you can get them converted to 240v and Aussie power connection easily?

You can gift hardware on apple's site. Just let them order it, and gift > your address for delivery, and should come with the plug for your country.

Top Bottom