Moderator Essentials

Moderator Essentials [Paid] 1.14.5

No permission to buy ($45.00)
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
The Thread notes stuff is honestly kinda ****ty, and probably needs an(other) overhaul to cleanup this sort of stuff.
I haven't tried the new version but this bug he mentions is pretty annoying. I'll hold off on allowing it's use until the overhaul I think.

@Xon could you have a heart for an overly ambitious web designer? ;)

---> Could you change the template mods of ModEss for "member_view" to include the additional classes "item control ban" and "item control liftban" after the "OverlayTrigger" (respectively in both template mods) in the <a> tag? ;)

That would make life more beautiful... :D

modess_classes.webp Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-21 um 18.49.16.webp

@Xon could you have a heart for an overly ambitious web designer? ;)

---> Could you change the template mods of ModEss for "member_view" to include the additional classes "item control ban" and "item control liftban" after the "OverlayTrigger" (respectively in both template mods) in the <a> tag? ;)

That would make life more beautiful... :D

View attachment 150121 View attachment 150122
I think "item control ban" on both template mods will be sufficient.

I'm using 1.11.2 version of this plugin. Lately, I'm facing slowness issues on the ModEss pages. We've heavy db that contains almost 11M records in posts table.

What could be the culprit?

Please update to the latest 1.12.3 version, there are a number of performance fixes that have been done in the 1.12.x branch. Additionally only 1.12.x is supported while 1.11.2 is only supported in the context of upgrading to a later version.

@sajal could you signup to https://atelieraphelion.com/ and follow this process with this form (the licence key you provided via the contact-us, and the original email address of the account)? This will allow you to automatically claim your expired licence so you can renew it at the renewal pricing.
@Xon, What will the price difference if I just go ahead and buy a new license instead of renewing the old one.

Since, it's bit of hard time for us finding the old license information.

@Xon, What will the price difference if I just go ahead and buy a new license instead of renewing the old one.

Since, it's bit of hard time for us finding the old license information.
$25 USD renewal, or $45 USD new, send me a PM on my site and I can help sort it out.

I purchased and installed this add-on in large part because our vBulletin site has a very active reported post forum where the mods and admins are used to discussing thread and post issues. I thought that the node assignments in the add-on would do that. However, I cannot figure out how to get it all set up. Is there a document that describes the facilities and intended actions for all this. If we have not set up the permissions correctly is it essentially invisible?

@Tom McIntyre there isn't any real documentation for this beyond the in-line documentation on global options.

This add-on is effectively configured in two places; permissions (ie what features) and the global options.

If you set both of those up you still see nothing much unless you go to account preferences for each moderator and set up what they want to see. They have all gotten so discouraged that it may take me a few days to revive their interest. Everybody here are volunteers and most of them actually work for a living.

I still have not gotten anything to post in the registered node I set up in options. It is the same forum that we used for that purpose in vBulletin.

$25 USD renewal, or $45 USD new, send me a PM on my site and I can help sort it out.
We've purchased the latest version of the plugin and we've tried that.

But, still it seems that while accessing "modess/modLog" page, it's taking too much even for "Time to First Byte". It takes around 10 seconds for the server to process the page.

As I've mentioned earlier, we've 11M records in post table. Do you think is there any way we could optimize it? I guess on that page there are too many queries to fetch the log information, right?

The field Action discussions node id in the options page for this add on does not work for us. I stumbled across the option in User Discouragement to send all post reports to our Reported Posts forum, and I have been able to create a note thread on an existing thread which also appears in our Reported Posts forum. However, nothing I can figure out how to do makes the moderator log items appear in threads there. Have I misunderstood what "Action Discussion Node Id" means?

Please help.

upload_2017-6-7_14-58-23.webp

Right after I posted the above I noticed that when looking at the Moderator Log there was the word "discuss" at the end of each entry. Clicking that link creates the thread in the target forum just like report and thread note do except the entry carries additional links to the source material for the moderator action.

I think I may be able to document our usage of this for our moderators now.

Last edited:
This is what I posted for my moderators as an intro to this style of moderation. Please use whatever you like (or anyone else).

Basic Post Reporting
Post reporting is essentially the same as in our current vBulletin. The report post icon is at the same location in the bottom border of the post. When a post is reported the reason is used to start a thread in the reported posts forum.

Moderators have substantially more tools available to manage their forums. In addition to the move/copy/edit/etc. tools they have here, they may also ban individual users from posting in a forum. The full set of actions that can be taken or monitored by others is listed in the User Preferences for those with Moderator privileges. This is the display:
ModLogActions.webp

Depending on your individual privileges and choices in the actions array, you can generate a report of all actions while viewing the moderator control panel. In the description of each entry the word "discuss" appears at the end. If you click on that you will either create a new thread in the reported posts forum or a post in the existing thread about that action.

The is what the Moderator Control Panel display looks like:

ModCP.webp

Thread Notes

There is a new facility in XenForo that allows the staff to discuss a thread without modifying it or quarantine, etc. When you use the Thread Note facility it creates an additional element in the header for the thread that links to a new thread in the Reported Posts forum which in turn carries a link back to the target thread. Posts in the Thread Note discussion are only visible to moderators and admins. Apart from the links and method of starting it is similar to the Reported Post except that it applies to the entire thread and is connected back to it.

Please try to exercise these facilities so we can determine how they should be tuned. It is turned on currently with all admins and moderators having access to all its parts.

Last edited:
@Xon any chance that in alerts to user for moving their thread, delete posts... show up avatar from "default" staff user, like it is already in warning ess addon, so I can choose one staff member and all alerts from staff regarding forum moderaions that sends alert to users show avatar from that selected staff member? Some kind of anonymous.
Default is default xenforo avatar

@Xon: Bug: The ModLog Preferences do not stay in their last saved setting as soon as I save preferences via the Visitor Popup "Preferences" link (that where the preferences modal appears).

When I set them all to Action Type "ALL" like in the following example via the ACCOUNT PAGE:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-02 um 11.38.04.webp

And then change some preferences via the modal opened up via the Visitor Popup

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-02 um 11.41.44.webp Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-02 um 11.45.42.webp

It will reset to the state of "none" when I save the modal. You can reproduce it every time.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-02 um 11.24.16.webp

It seems that the absence of the Mod Log Preferences in the modal is like saving the ModLog preferences as "empty" and therefore the setting vanishes and becomes "none".

Top Bottom