XF 1.0 Member Card

Wherever* you see a username or an avatar in XenForo, clicking it will open that user's member card.

member-card-png.214

The member card is a small summary of a user's profile, showing various commonly-viewed data, such as user title, gender, message count etc. along with the full size (but cropped to square) version of the user's avatar. Clicking on the username or the 'View Profile Page' link will load the user's full profile page.

There are various useful links on the member card, including links to follow or unfollow the user, start a conversation with them, view their recently-posted messages, or see a summary of the trophies they have accumulated.

trophy-summary-png.216

Loading the member card rather than the full profile page can take a significant weight off the server load.

Of course, for visitors with javascript disabled, a click on a username or avatar will load the normal, full profile page.

* There are a few instances where a click will go directly to the full profile page, or will load the avatar editor.

Attachments

• Member Card.webp
    Member Card.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 3,277
  • Trophy-Summary.webp
    Trophy-Summary.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 3,143
Two bugs fixed:
  1. Clicking the avatar in a member card will take you to the full profile page
  2. Unless it's your own avatar, in which case it will open the avatar editor.
You'll probably need to hit refresh in order to get the updated javascript to support this.

Awesome :D

Often times people will put up silly locations such as 'the moon', 'behind you', 'no where'.

What is the plan in those situations? I put 'no where' in my profile and a map came up of the USA (I am in California). Does it use the first part of the IP?

Two bugs fixed:
  1. Clicking the avatar in a member card will take you to the full profile page
  2. Unless it's your own avatar, in which case it will open the avatar editor.
You'll probably need to hit refresh in order to get the updated javascript to support this.

Absolutely AWESOME :D

Often times people will put up silly locations such as 'the moon', 'behind you', 'no where'.

What is the plan in those situations? I put 'no where' in my profile and a map came up of the USA (I am in California). Does it use the first part of the IP?

I seen someone that put in the middle of the uk, clicking theirs brings up middleton in England lol... So I don't think it does but google does it's best job as guessing what they mean lol..

It doesn't work for me either.

I am most definitely not in Australia, or at least I wasn't last time I looked outside.

It doesn't work for me either.

I am most definitely not in Australia, or at least I wasn't last time I looked outside.

Lol, would be quite funny if you were in Auz and didn't know it lol.. No sorry it would just be scary, and cool, and funny...

Lol, would be quite funny if you were in Auz and didn't know it lol.. No sorry it would just be scary, and cool, and funny...
Checks outside.

*Sighs with relief*

Actually I kinda like it this way.
Makes me seem mysterious :cool:

No, if you look at the URL it just does a Google Maps search for the location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=no+where

In this case it doesn't go anywhere because it asks you what you mean (so I'm guessing that by default if no location is specified Google centers the map over the country you are in based on IP).

Honestly, I think it will be kind of funny when people put in things like "the moon" and get linked here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=the+moon

If Kier really wanted to add an easter egg, he should make a location of 'the moon' link to here:
http://www.google.com/moon/

:D

Still no shortage of impressive design elements being implemented. I liked the card the moment I seen it on day one / two... thought that was brilliant to summarize details.

Two suggestions:
Could you guys implement a feature where a double-click on the avatar takes you directly to the profile page? I absolutely love the member card but sometimes you want to go right to their profile page to see their status updates, etc.

Agreed. This would be very helpful and reduce the time it takes to get to members' profiles. I do think you should suggest this in its own separate thread if you haven't already.

In Firefox, when you click someones avatar with your wheel-button (open in new tab), it opens their profile page directly.

I think it's better the way it is. If you want to go directly to the person's profile page then you could right click and click open link.

Two suggestions:
Could you guys implement a feature where a double-click on the avatar takes you directly to the profile page? I absolutely love the member card but sometimes you want to go right to their profile page to see their status updates, etc.
The full profile page is linked if you bypass the javascript - which you can do by opening the link in a new tab/window (middle, right click etc.), or dragging the link to your browser's address bar.
Google location services puts me within 300 feet (90 meters) of my actual house.

"Last activity: Viewing thread "Member Card" at 12:29pm at
31 Saint Mary's Butts, Reading RG1 2LN, United Kingdom"
... which puts you just 4.6 miles from my house!

The full profile page is linked if you bypass the javascript - which you can do by opening the link in a new tab/window (middle, right click etc.), or dragging the link to your browser's address bar.

Perfect!

edit: except in my FF browser after right clicking and opening up a new tab, I stay in the existing tab.

Perfect!

edit: except in my FF browser after right clicking and opening up a new tab, I stay in the existing tab.

Tools → Options → Tabs → When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately.

Middle click works, although ideally I would have liked a method to open it in the current window. Oh well, this will work just fine. :)

Top Bottom