XF 1.0 Member Card

Wherever* you see a username or an avatar in XenForo, clicking it will open that user's member card.

member-card-png.214

The member card is a small summary of a user's profile, showing various commonly-viewed data, such as user title, gender, message count etc. along with the full size (but cropped to square) version of the user's avatar. Clicking on the username or the 'View Profile Page' link will load the user's full profile page.

There are various useful links on the member card, including links to follow or unfollow the user, start a conversation with them, view their recently-posted messages, or see a summary of the trophies they have accumulated.

trophy-summary-png.216

Loading the member card rather than the full profile page can take a significant weight off the server load.

Of course, for visitors with javascript disabled, a click on a username or avatar will load the normal, full profile page.

* There are a few instances where a click will go directly to the full profile page, or will load the avatar editor.

Attachments

• Member Card.webp
    Member Card.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 3,283
  • Trophy-Summary.webp
    Trophy-Summary.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 3,148
I still think "Start Conversation" makes a bit more sense from a consistency standpoint. Otherwise I really like this feature since I first "Ooooo'd" at it last week. :D

I love the member card particularly because it's so quick, doesn't need a page reload and gives an instant overview. The Google map is fun too! This will go down well with my community.

Two suggestions:
Could you guys implement a feature where a double-click on the avatar takes you directly to the profile page? I absolutely love the member card but sometimes you want to go right to their profile page to see their status updates, etc.

Also, and this is going to be controversial, have you considered implementing HTML5 geolocation support? I can see people screaming "Privacy Invasion!", but it would be off by default and then you could allow users to turn it on for their followers only, or people who they follow (essentially friends). You don't know how cool this would be, especially when browsing from a mobile device.

Unfortunately, it would also allow you to see where people live... Google location services puts me within 300 feet (90 meters) of my actual house.

"Last activity: Viewing thread "Member Card" at 12:29pm at
31 Saint Mary's Butts, Reading RG1 2LN, United Kingdom"

Oh god that would be cool. :)

I can understand what you want to see Eriksrocks, but my concern would be the number of members who are not savvy with forums and when clicking around, inadvertently leave their information out there for others to pick up and see. So many people using forums are not familiar with most of the features and and I think this would be a real problem for owners of forums who want to ensure their members keep their privacy. I really would hate to see this even if it was switched off by default.

Maybe a prominent warning notice? As in:
If you turn this on, your actual location will be exposed to anyone you specify. Please be very careful when using this option.

I should also note that almost all devices and browsers require their own confirmation. You would have to turn it on in the software and then also confirm it in your browser, or on your phone (on the iPhone it's labeled as a request for "Location Services") or device. :)

There are already things out there that do this (like Google Latitude), and having it implemented here would be epic. It would be controversial, yes, but it would also be very forward-looking and it would make the software even more social. :)

Google Maps integration is cool. When can we put coordinates? ;)

I know, we're bogging down Kier and Mike adding the fun stuff and there's still major stuff to code.

Two suggestions:
Could you guys implement a feature where a double-click on the avatar takes you directly to the profile page? I absolutely love the member card but sometimes you want to go right to their profile page to see their status updates, etc.

Also, and this is going to be controversial, have you considered implementing HTML5 geolocation support? I can see people screaming "Privacy Invasion!", but it would be off by default and then you could allow users to turn it on for their followers only, or people who they follow (essentially friends). You don't know how cool this would be, especially when browsing from a mobile device.

Unfortunately, it would also allow you to see where people live... Google location services puts me within 300 feet (90 meters) of my actual house.

"Last activity: Viewing thread "Member Card" at 12:29pm at
31 Saint Mary's Butts, Reading RG1 2LN, United Kingdom"

Oh god that would be cool. :)

I am sure the geo-location feature can be defined to how specific you want it to be... So if you set it to "Town Level" - "City Level" etc... still a nice idea... I would love to see HTML5 Video Tags being used for other video types like mpeg2 and OGG too.... Would be really cool...

love how simple this is... would be interesting to see how it handles very large membership forums with 100,000 to 300,000 members :)

Can the admin define exactly what is displayed on the member card?
Can the admin display custom profile fields on member cards?

I noticed this feature first time I came here, and I like it, it's simple and smart.
If just Admin can add or remove fields/info as he want, I think that will be useful and very flexible.

I would be willing to pay $100 for this feature. Either directly through xenforo if they dont want it part of the default install or to a coder.

I would love this. I know most people don't click their own picture to edit their own profile pic/avatar, but it just seemed logical for some reason here. I'm getting used to everything being within reach, or just logical clicks to do things.

xenForo -- it's thinking.

You can actually click the large avatar in your username drop-down to edit your avatar.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-02 at 21.17.16.webp
    Screen shot 2010-08-02 at 21.17.16.webp
    7.1 KB · Views: 70
Two bugs fixed:
  1. Clicking the avatar in a member card will take you to the full profile page
  2. Unless it's your own avatar, in which case it will open the avatar editor.
You'll probably need to hit refresh in order to get the updated javascript to support this.

Top Bottom