XF 1.3 How to upgrade to XenForo 1.3

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Brogan submitted a new resource:

How to upgrade to 1.3 - Important information and actions to be taken

As XenForo 1.3 introduces many new features and functions, as is typical with a second point release, there are several specific things which need to be considered when upgrading.

Take a backup of the database before you do anything!
See here for how to backup (and restore):...

Read more about this resource...

Please note that in order to keep this discussion thread relevant and informative, off topic and other non-relevant posts will be removed.

The general feedback thread is here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-3-general-discussion-feedback.67122/

... and I had to search for a while before I found a reference to it hidden deep within a post that I had overlooked the first time around.

When I started the upgrade process through the browser, a window appeared saying that I could optionally use the command line to upgrade, and gave me the complete command to copy and paste into my PuTTY window.

So...it is no longer "buried" as of 1.3. (Or it could have been there earlier and I just did not notice! :D )

Our "big board" took awhile to upgrade but like you, I felt more secure using command line vs. browser. (And then my Internet connection blinked out momentarily anyway!) Luckily, re-executing the same command line makes the upgrade script restart where it left off.

However, I lost my Internet connection somewhere around the "1.3 Alpha 9" (or whatever it's called) portion of the upgrade, which was doing something with the IP address table. It seems that the upgrade continued where it left off when I restarted it, although I kicked open "mytop" to see that the query from the first attempt was still running.
Once the query starts, even if the PHP script is killed, it will generally keep running on the MySQL server unless killed there. If you start the upgrade again, it will likely get to that query again and hang because the table is locked (it should at least) and then it would continue when the first query finally finishes (and it will have seen that the table has the necessary changes).

So you should be fine.

Longggg time vB user. A few weeks ago, (even though I still have active vB licenses) I decided to make the switch over to Xenforo, because I like the layout and flow of the software much better. A couple of days ago we did our first upgrade. We followed directions but it seems there is no way to do an upgrade without losing all of your previous work on the forum. Is this true or did we miss something? We only have a test forum for now, but all of our categories were erased, as well as our Admin account. If there is a way to upgrade without losing this data, please let us know so we can learn how to best upgrade in the future. Thanks.

You should never be losing data. How I usually end up doing it is uploading all of the files in the upgrade package to the forum's directory on the server. Then when I go to the home page, a notice tells me there is an upgrade in progress (I forget the wording), and there is a big link to "complete upgrade".

Even template modifications do not get removed. However, you will have a notice in your Admin CP saying you have outdated templates, and usually you want to merge your custom changes into the new version of the template. It gives you a chance to review the changes before committing them.

I've only had one hiccup over the course of a couple of years, and that was a few posts up in this thread when my Internet connection blinked out during a lengthy upgrade procedure. Otherwise it's always been smooth.

And if you happen to be running debug mode, never alter the "Master" style template, which is the parent of the Default Style.

What you might try is installing another test forum. Use the original older version you've downloaded, and retry the upgrade, to see where it may have gone wrong.

We followed directions but it seems there is no way to do an upgrade without losing all of your previous work on the forum. Is this true or did we miss something? We only have a test forum for now, but all of our categories were erased, as well as our Admin account.
It's not something I have ever heard of before with years of releases and tens of thousands of upgrades.

Assuming there isn't an add-on which is causing the problems, following the instructions will result in an upgraded forum with no loss of data, content, structure, accounts, or anything else.

It's not something I have ever heard of before with years of releases and tens of thousands of upgrades.

Assuming there isn't an add-on which is causing the problems, following the instructions will result in an upgraded forum with no loss of data, content, structure, accounts, or anything else.

I had an idea: is there a way to access the original installation routine via a URL? In other words, if you accidentally used a URL that normally would be used on your first installation of XF, would that cause it to create a new instance, or are their failsafe measures in place? (Knowing XF though, it should be safe in that regard.)

Another idea: if we deleted all of the original files and installed a complete set of new files, that would also kill the configuration file. If you put the same database information back into a new config file, though, it should still recognize the original installation...

(Just playing through my mind how it could accidentally happen.)

I uploaded the upgrade via FileZilla. Everything ran smooth. Now I am trying to log into xenforo.com/community/install/ and its telling me I do not have the proper username and/or password. Not sure whats going on. I have both. Am I supposed to get it from somewhere else? My page still says. 1.2.3 ... HELP please!

I uploaded the upgrade via FileZilla. Everything ran smooth. Now I am trying to log into xenforo.com/community/install/ and its telling me I do not have the proper username and/or password. Not sure whats going on. I have both. Am I supposed to get it from somewhere else? My page still says. 1.2.3 ... HELP please!
There are 2 sets of usernames/passwords.
1: database
2: forum

Perhaps you are trying to use the one for the database?

forum:
myname
mypassword

database:
myname_mydatabase
mypassword

I have tried the username and password for xenforo ad the one for my forum site....nothing. I even reset my password on xenforo and it still does not work.
This forum here and your forum there have nothing to do with each other.
Search for admin name and password combination on your own forum, hopefully you wrote it down when installed your forum originally.

Is it the site in your signature? If so, just log in and request a password reset. As long as you assigned an email to it the reset request should be sent to you.
If you can't remember your username, just view the members list.

This is what the warning says:

The user name or password you entered for area “Restricted” on xenforo.com:80 was incorrect. Make sure you’re entering them correctly, and then try again.
Your password will be sent unencrypted.

Ok I reset the password. Received the NEW one via my email. Re-logged in and NOTHING still.
Start a convo with me with your login details. I'll take a look and see if I can figure out whats up (I would say create me an account but if you can't get to the ACP you can't do that).

This is what the warning says:

The user name or password you entered for area “Restricted” on xenforo.com:80 was incorrect. Make sure you’re entering them correctly, and then try again.
Your password will be sent unencrypted.
That's an entirely different thing. You've protected it via .htacess
Are you on a shared hosting environment or VPS/dedi?

Top Bottom