XF 1.3 How to upgrade to XenForo 1.3

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Brogan submitted a new resource:

How to upgrade to 1.3 - Important information and actions to be taken

As XenForo 1.3 introduces many new features and functions, as is typical with a second point release, there are several specific things which need to be considered when upgrading.

Take a backup of the database before you do anything!
See here for how to backup (and restore):...

Read more about this resource...

Please note that in order to keep this discussion thread relevant and informative, off topic and other non-relevant posts will be removed.

The general feedback thread is here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-3-general-discussion-feedback.67122/

It probably has timed out. You can try refreshing the page. If you have a board of any sort of site, I would recommend trying the CLI upgrader (may have been suggested when starting the upgrade).

I'm getting a blank page on the/community/install/index.php

Go to /admin.php and get the message "The board is currently waiting to be upgraded. Please complete the upgrade." Follow the link to the upgrade and the page is blank.

Formerly 1.2.4
Nginx and not Apache

error.log does not show anything regarding /community

My upgrade crashed on my beta site... :(

Mysqli prepare error: Unknown column 'display_order' in 'order clause'

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in XenForo/Model.php at line 219
  5. XenForo_Model->fetchAllKeyed() in XenForo/Model/Smilie.php at line 87
  6. XenForo_Model_Smilie->getAllSmiliesForCache() in XenForo/Model/Smilie.php at line 113
  7. XenForo_Model_Smilie->rebuildSmilieCache() in XenForo/Deferred/ImportMasterData.php at line 40
  8. XenForo_Deferred_ImportMasterData->execute() in XenForo/Deferred/Atomic.php at line 66
  9. XenForo_Deferred_Atomic->execute() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 252
  10. XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 378
  11. XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 312
  12. XenForo_Model_Deferred->runByUniqueKey() in XenForo/Install/Controller/Abstract.php at line 34
  13. XenForo_Install_Controller_Abstract->_manualDeferredRunner() in XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php at line 221
  14. XenForo_Install_Controller_Upgrade->actionRunDeferred() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
  15. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  16. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/user/directory/beta/install/index.php at line 18

^^^ This error has me BEYOND pissed.

This will likely be from an add-on that has added conflicting data to the DB. I suspect it's smilie related. You may need to revert to your backup and remove the offending add-on (and hopefully it actually removes the DB column it added...).

Since Xenforo basically steered into this issue because they neglected to have it, now I have to re-upload my database, AND files just to uninstall it? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

I'm sorry but I have loved Xenforo, but this feels like vBulletin right now!!!

^^^ This error has me BEYOND pissed.
Since Xenforo basically steered into this issue because they neglected to have it, now I have to re-upload my database, AND files just to uninstall it? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
Let's see.... That was from a non-supported BETA (suprise - BETA's do cause problems)
Last time I checked, there was a small discussion area set up to deal with how to upgrade - and most of the problems were discussed in there. I typically read it before I perform an upgrade so I know what add-ons tend to cause problems.
I further scan the discussions of the add-ons I use from around the time that the new version was released to see if anyone else has had problems.
If you are going to be torqued at anyone, be at the add-on developer for using a standard xenforo naming schematic for the DB entries. Simply not prefixing with the standard xf_ makes sense (look at Post Ratings, Showcase and others to see an example).

Please try to keep this thread free of non-relevant posts and on topic as it as an important guide for upgrading.

I have just tidied it up and removed a number of posts.

If you need support or troubleshooting with your particular installation, I recommend starting a new thread so it is not overlooked.

We cannot be held responsible for your lack of due diligence nor for you not reading the instructions in both this resource and the smiley manager resource.

The instructions are very explicit:
If you have any add-ons installed, ensure they are compatible with 1.3 before upgrading.
If in doubt disable them, perform the upgrade and then re-enable them one at a time to determine whether they still work. Check the relevant resource for each add-on to see the status for 1.3.

Add-ons known to cause problems when upgrading to XenForo 1.3 are:

Add-ons which are known to have problems with XenForo 1.3 are:

Please check the dedicated resource for each add-on for further information.

We cannot be held responsible for your lack of due diligence nor for you not reading the instructions in both this resource and the smiley manager resource.

The instructions are very explicit:

I restored from the back up just before I tried it.

Here's my problem..... The smilie manager resource filled a feature in which Xenforo did NOT have. You guys decide to add your own version that steers DIRECTLY into that resource. Hence you have forced this issue, rather than code around a resource you know exists. That's why I'm upset.

If you know this problem WILL occur, why not code a warning into the upgrade script? Especially since Xenforo coded 1.3 to conflict with the smilie manager resource.

Due diligence is the term used when you post a sign and blame people for not looking under the rock they didn't see. I DID look around and I didn't see anything. I checked my resources to see which ones worked in 1.3. What I did NOT do is check every forum for this thread. To my knowledge this is the ONLY time in which an upgrade directly conflicts with another resource. Did I read everything in the smilie resource regarding issues, no. I read a post that said it was working in 1.3. Why would I need to scour for something I don't know exists. Again, I read a post that said it works in 1.3.

Hopefully you understand my stand point. I'm not trying to be difficult, just that a lot of members may not look for this thread.

The ownership is always on the consumer, but when you put out an upgrade that will be known to conflict, how about a warning in the upgrade script, in case we missed a very important issue when upgrading. That's all I'm saying.

I also understand that the use of resources "voids" the warranty on a error free upgrade. However, like I stated, this upgrade to 1.3 was coded to conflict with a known resource.

I'm moving on, and going to cross my fingers when I upgrade to 1.3.

Understand that vBulletin veered into the "due diligence" when they put out vB5. Yeah it works, but once you add mods, it turns into garbage. So please understand where I'm standing I think a post in a thread in a place where I obviously didn't see it won't shun your responsibility to alert a customer of a problem in which you know will crash your site if you have a resource we are now going to include in Xenforo. Key words are "resource we are now going to include".

The horse is dead now.. Thanks for allowing me to vent. So far this is the ONLY issue I've had with Xenforo.

Hence you have forced this issue, rather than code around a resource you know exists. That's why I'm upset.
Do you seriously expect the developers to download and inspect the code of every single add-on and change the core code to ensure it doesn't conflict?
Add-ons should adapt to fit the core, not the other way around.

As has been pointed out, the error is with the add-on developer for not prefixing the table correctly.

I think you missed what I said. It's not that I expect you to de-conflict xenforo with every resource. If you are going to include a feature that is already offered (because it wasn't previously), then I WOULD expect you to de-conflict it. I can't explain it any better. Basically you add a feature that someone came up with FIRST, then yes, I expect you would de-conflict it.

I understand the table prefix, but I guess you don't see my point. Everything was great until Xenforo added their own version of a smilie manager.

I would have thought you guys would have simply paid Milano to include his resource so you don't have this issue with 1.3. After all you are including his feature.

I am a little surprised to get the responses I'm seeing. vBulletin said the same thing. The mods broke my vB5 upgrade. There is nothing wrong with vB5. The mods/hacks are in conflict with vB5's core.

This community was built on those mistakes. That's ALL I'm saying.

How are the developers supposed to know which add-ons may have issues with new code they are writing?

This isn't the only one which has caused issues with core code.

So again, what you are proposing is impractical and simply not feasible.

It doesn't surprise me that you were given the same response from other developers.

Edit: We have continued this discussion via conversation, to avoid taking this thread (too far) off topic.

I just upgrade from 1.3 to 1.3.1 on my test site, works without problems, when i do this on my live site, do i must disable all plugin and close forum before do upgrade??

Top Bottom