Gift Upgrades

Gift Upgrades [Paid] 1.6.2

No permission to buy ($20.00)
@NixFifty I've noticed inactive or upgrades that can't be purchased at the moment are still showing in the "gift" drop down menu as an item to be selected.

Hey @NixFifty any chance you could add the ability for Admins to "gift" users posts?
You can already do this with the permissions that come with the add-on. Give the "Gift post" permission to admins and don't give it to users. That should achieve what you're looking for. :)

@NixFifty when I do that, I get the option to "gift" the upgrade but it then wants me to complete the process as a paying user. I can't paypal myself my own money.

Plus I still want the option for regular users to gift others and their posts. But I would see a benefit in publicly gifted a post/user through the system as an admin. Sure I could manually do the upgrade in the AdminCP without said addon but it's not publicly known why.

@NixFifty when I do that, I get the option to "gift" the upgrade but it then wants me to complete the process as a paying user. I can't paypal myself my own money.

Plus I still want the option for regular users to gift others and their posts. But I would see a benefit in publicly gifted a post/user through the system as an admin. Sure I could manually do the upgrade in the AdminCP without said addon but it's not publicly known why.
Oh, I misunderstood what you meant. So you’re basically looking to manually upgrade someone with a user upgrade on posts (and other content) they’ve made?

So you’re basically looking to manually upgrade someone with a user upgrade on posts (and other content) they’ve made?

Bingo! That's exactly what I had in mind. An admin can award someone for the post, while members can do the same as well.

NixFifty updated Gift Upgrades with a new update entry:

Version 1.6.0

Previous versions of the add-on added a link to Gift specific bits of content, similar to Reddit Gold. This update takes that one step further and now allows guests to do the same. You can enable / disable this with the permission system.
  • Allow guests to gift upgrades on content (permission controlled).
  • Minor code improvements.

Read the rest of this update entry...

NixFifty updated Gift Upgrades with a new update entry:

Version 1.6.1

This release contains minor improvements and fixes. Thanks to @Xon for his continued contributions to this add-on.
  • Fix filtering out posts a user can't see in the gifted posts widget.
  • Option to skip displaying gifted posts from locked threads in the gifted posts widget.
  • Option to skip displaying gifted posts from threads with a given prefix and support Multi Prefix from Xon.
  • Minor logic tweak when fetching gifted posts.

Read the rest of this update entry...

@NixFifty okay so just purchased my first, of many, NixFifty add-ons (everything looks great... and the freebie ones are looking good too!) -- So, I am curious, as I work my way through figuring out the "gifting" options.. are there any future plans to perhaps add the ability to "gift" from XF Resource Manager and or Media Gallery? May be useful to help support people who post a good number of resources or content to the community.

Other than that, we are not even to the donation/subscription phase yet...but it is looking really good. Hope to see a XF2 version when we are finally able to get all our add-ons upgraded to XF2 to do the switch!

PS: I have noticed that it still displays non-active subscriptions in the gifting drop down selection when selecting "Gift" from anywhere enabled location on the site. So I have had to go in and remove gifting from user permissions to work around this, but it seems it should have been fixed in a previous version.. any thoughts? Also... does this come with a main navigational bar entry or anyway to select to 'gift' when choosing an upgrade directly from the account upgrades screen... or perhaps ideas for future releases?

Good stuff, Nix.. thanks.

Last edited:
Oh, I misunderstood what you meant. So you’re basically looking to manually upgrade someone with a user upgrade on posts (and other content) they’ve made?
Was this option included in the latest release? I would also like the ability to Gift good posts myself from the front end as an admin (can't Paypal myself the upgrade fee)

Also, I'd like to add a Gift Upgrades sidebar just to list the latest Giftings but there's no renderer for Gift Upgrades showing in Widget Framework.

Also, when someone gifts a post, what does that post then look like? Does it show a Gold icon like it does on Reddit? If so, a screenshot would be great.

(Ideally a gifted post would show a Gold icon, and say something like "This post was gilded/gifted by BlahBlah")

Also, can the same post receive Gold from multiple users? So if 3 users give a post Gold, will the OP get 3 months of upgrades for example?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options in the back end, unless I'm missing something.

Was this option included in the latest release? I would also like the ability to Gift good posts myself from the front end as an admin (can't Paypal myself the upgrade fee)
No, not yet. It's planned though.
Also, I'd like to add a Gift Upgrades sidebar just to list the latest Giftings but there's no renderer for Gift Upgrades showing in Widget Framework.
There's no support for Widget Framework at the moment.
Also, when someone gifts a post, what does that post then look like? Does it show a Gold icon like it does on Reddit? If so, a screenshot would be great.

(Ideally a gifted post would show a Gold icon, and say something like "This post was gilded/gifted by BlahBlah")
If you have some knowledge of CSS, you can make it look exactly what you want it to look like. By default, it'll just display how many times a post was gilded. Gilded posts get an additional CSS class and I've seen customers add shiny borders around the post to set it apart from others. There's a style property included that might help you with this.
Also, can the same post receive Gold from multiple users? So if 3 users give a post Gold, will the OP get 3 months of upgrades for example?
Yes. If a user gets an upgrade that they already have, it'll "stack" upon the old one and the end date will be adjusted accordingly. So yeah, a post that gets gifted a 1 month upgrade 3 times will grant that upgrade to the user for 3 months.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of options in the back end, unless I'm missing something.
There's not really a whole lot that needs to be configured. It's a set and go type of thing.

No, not yet. It's planned though.

There's no support for Widget Framework at the moment.

If you have some knowledge of CSS, you can make it look exactly what you want it to look like. By default, it'll just display how many times a post was gilded. Gilded posts get an additional CSS class and I've seen customers add shiny borders around the post to set it apart from others. There's a style property included that might help you with this.

Yes. If a user gets an upgrade that they already have, it'll "stack" upon the old one and the end date will be adjusted accordingly. So yeah, a post that gets gifted a 1 month upgrade 3 times will grant that upgrade to the user for 3 months.

There's not really a whole lot that needs to be configured. It's a set and go type of thing.
Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply (y)

Also, how do I edit the text of the 'Gift' button that appears at the bottom of posts?

Just want to make it more descriptive like 'Gift this post' or something.

I notice that a user can't actually gift another user a recurring subscription, is that correct?
Yes, it's correct.
Also, how do I edit the text of the 'Gift' button that appears at the bottom of posts?

Just want to make it more descriptive like 'Gift this post' or something.
I'm not at my PC at the moment but there's a phrase for it if you search in the ACP.

Hi, I want to add a little gift box icon to the left of the Gift button so it matches the rest of the buttons but I can't seem to find a CSS class for the Gift button (in a post). I tried using the code inspector but couldn't find the button's class (other than .item which controls all the buttons

Top Bottom