Resource icon

Extra Portal 1.2.4

No permission to download
I was hoping someone would explain how it is done, not necessarily the author. I see Russ has done it with his Titan Punch style and it looks great.

Indeed, I have sent him a message how he has managed it, hopefully he will share it. Really like his implementation. I'm still in doubt how I will implement it.

I am :P I think it looks like crap right now. We are debating what we want to do with this addon as it doesn't have many of the features we want and need. We had hired Onimua to do a portal for us based on our needs and after 5 months of delays, he up and ran with the money leaving me unable to request paypal to return the money. So now...we are stuck with this, and will likely have my inhouse coder tinker with it until it is how we want it.

Any idea's how I can change the size of youtube video's? I don't in which template this is being regulated. Need to have the biggest size possible :)

Currently it's smaller like it's being quoted or something like that:Screenshot 2014-04-27 09.50.24.webp

So how to increase this?

I just got this up and running tonight, pretty happy with it ( on my crf250l.org site). I have some questions about RSS feeds. I have a subforum on my site that is happily populating threads with automated RSS feeds. I want the most recent X threads to come from that forum into this portal, and hopefully into a News category. So far it isn't working as expected. I have the forum selected in the "auto promote new threads" option in the admincp, but when new posts are coming into that forum, they aren't showing up on the portal. I can go into them and manually promote them, but that defeats the purpose. Also - I don't want it to keep adding these new threads forever and ever, creating multiple portal pages as they increase; is there a way I can unpromote the older news threads in an automated fashion?

OK - I fixed the first problem, I hadn't set up the permissions correctly for my newsbot user. Now he is happily posting threads and they do show up promoted in the portal. Sadly, they are showing up on the bottom, so they are now onto the next page. They need to be reversed, with the newest on top. However - if I choose the "news" setting, it doesn't listen to the forced order of the 1st two threads on the top that I need to keep there (that are in a different category). Would appreciate any helpful hints or tips, thx!

Time for sleep (and apologies for cluttering up the thread). I replaced the first two entries with HTML widgets using BD Widget, so the only automated feed will be the news feed. This allowed me to click that news feed option, so they are ordered correctly. The only thing left to figure out is how to unpromote them in some automated fashion after a certain time or number of articles.

@ExtraLicense I currently have my forums installed at mysite.com/forums/ and I'd like to keep them there. I'd like to have the portal installed at just mysite.com

How do I achieve this?

@ExtraLicense I currently have my forums installed at mysite.com/forums/ and I'd like to keep them there. I'd like to have the portal installed at just mysite.com

How do I achieve this?

You just change Options > Basic Board Information > Index Page Route from "forums/" to "portal/", without the quotation marks. Also, I have the Home Page URL field left blank in my Basic Board Information (I'm not sure what difference it makes if any).

You just change Options > Basic Board Information > Index Page Route from "forums/" to "portal/", without the quotation marks. Also, I have the Home Page URL field left blank in my Basic Board Information (I'm not sure what difference it makes if any).
When I do that, I get the portal loading in forums, and forums loading in forums/forums

Mine is set up the same way. Have been wondering if it's worth it to move the installation up one directory to try and deal with the issue. Afraid of losing all google credibility, though.

Separate question: is there a way to duplicate the normal navbar buttons from the forums page to the portal page? (Mark Forums Read, Search Forums, Watched Forums, Watched Threads, etc.)

Patiently waiting for the latest version which will hopefully have the new pinterest style look for the promoted articles as per a few pages back. Any word on how that is going?

Does this addon have the ability so that multiple unique portal pages can be created? If not, can you add it?

Any idea's how I can change the size of youtube video's? I don't in which template this is being regulated. Need to have the biggest size possible :)

Currently it's smaller like it's being quoted or something like that:View attachment 72562

So how to increase this?

I'm having this same problem, anyone know a fix for this? youtube videos are shrunk on the portal page.

Hello,
I'd like to propose a feature. Would it be possible to implement adding articles from the home page (e.g. AvForums)? I'm surprised that there's still no addon that allows you to have a website separated from your forum and that the new version of XenPorta wants to continue with the tradition of putting articles in the threads node.
I think that putting the articles in the threads node is heavy limiting:
1) The site area is not really separated from the forum, but rather a simple
article area in your forum. This is absolutely not a viable solution for
serious forums that want to present a professional image to their users and sponsors.

2) Clearly, having a website and a blog gives you more possibilities as to
where to put your ads (In forums, having an AdSense block in the middle of a post is considered invasive, while it's quite usual in a blog.)

3) Having a running website allows you to attract more sponsors and come across as a more professional community.

An approach that I really like is creating a forum thread for each article. Then, when a user replies, the reply becomes a comment to the article. The famous AVForums is a good example. Here you can find an AVForums article
(the comments are at the bottom), and here's the related thread.
Having the website/forum integration has many advantages:
- It increases the visits to the article itself, giving your website more visibility.
- It increases enormously the number of comments since they can be left on the forum. Site articles on small forums are usually ignored by the users and don't have many comments. But i know lot of small forums with CMS and the same comment system than Avforums have a high number of comments. This is quite useful: users who visit a website will be more likely to sign up if they see a high level of activity on the articles.
Using this system, small websites can get tens of comments per articles, while common blogs, even the most famous ones, have a quite low average number of comments. That's why I suggest the integration between the website and the forum.

Someone can think that this integration can create duplicate content, but is very simple with robots.txt to avoid indexing of article comments.

I find Extraportal much superior because of its support for the Widget Framework and the better support from the coders. I think that this feature would attract many users to XenPorta.

p.s. I'm aivable to fund this feature. :-)

Hello,

I am using the Extra portal as homepage and would like to create notices for that page, but xenforo does not seem have page criteria for "home" since the script does not come with "Home". How can i add "Notices" on that page or make it appear there?
Any advice will be appreciated

Thank you

Top Bottom