XF 1.0 Enhanced Attachment Uploader

One of the first 'Have You Seen...' videos we posted showed our attachment uploader in action, and went on to demonstrate how pictures could be quickly and easily inserted into messages.

However, the system at the time could only handle a single image being uploaded at once.

Not any more. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A question about where uploaded images are stored.
Is it possible to store the images on a different host than Xenforo is installed on ?
Just that I see a problem if hundreds of people upload pictures on the main hosting package that xenforo is installed on.
I was thinking of maybe a fast and reliable host for the forum and somewhere else for the photos/attachments ?

A question about where uploaded images are stored.
Is it possible to store the images on a different host than Xenforo is installed on ?
Just that I see a problem if hundreds of people upload pictures on the main hosting package that xenforo is installed on.
I was thinking of maybe a fast and reliable host for the forum and somewhere else for the photos/attachments ?
I have not seen where they are stored and it is indeed a good question. I would have to say that if they are all stored in one folder, one can get into problems if there are way to many images. I recall a client of mine had issues with his host after trying to store (I think but don't quote me on it) more than 10,000 images in one folder.

Another question that comes to mind on this: Are the images served through PHP or is there a direct access to them from the webserver? I am thinking a bit ahead on trying to use a CDN to serve images to increase response times if the images are stored in a public folder.

Attachments are stored in /data/attachments (thumbnails) and /internal_data/attachments (original).

The latter directory is protected by php.

Directories are restricted to 1000 images/files so in practice there will be ... attachments/0, ...attachments/1, etc.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the upload diaglog buttons are slightly confusing. It's not obvious that "close" means ok/upload/whatever and instead it could be confused with a close/cancel.

This is all in the non-flash version (as the flash version doesn't seem to work for us).

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the upload diaglog buttons are slightly confusing. It's not obvious that "close" means ok/upload/whatever and instead it could be confused with a close/cancel.

This is all in the non-flash version (as the flash version doesn't seem to work for us).
It does mean Close / Cancel... doesn't it? The upload should start automatically as soon as you specify a file.

It does mean Close / Cancel... doesn't it? The upload should start automatically as soon as you specify a file.

I realised after posting that you're correct. With the non-flash version there's no progress bar so I didn't realise it had actually started the upload. Wouldn't it make sense for the prompt to disappear after you've browsed and selected the correct file (since there's no ok/submit button to start the uploading)? Or is it done like that to allow you to keep uploading more files?

Now I realise what it's doing it's fine but I didn't think it was that intuitive and I'm thinking more of how our users will interact with it.

Wouldn't it make sense for the prompt to disappear after you've browsed and selected the correct file (since there's no ok/submit button to start the uploading)? Or is it done like that to allow you to keep uploading more files?
The prompt disappears as soon as the file has finished uploading, but due to the limitations of HTML, in which only a single file can be uploaded concurrently, hiding the prompt might give the user the impression that they could start uploading another file straight away, which is actually not possible.

but due to the limitations of HTML, in which only a single file can be uploaded concurrently

Can't you do anything with HTML5 multiple?

Code:
<form action="" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
    <input name="upload[]" type="file" multiple="multiple">
    <input type="submit">
</form>

When i was writing a file up loader There are a few ways of handling multiple files upload, you can create a holder for each item and submit them through iframe for uploading, if you add a little javascript you can have multiple files picked and uploading each one on the list by looping through the fields and submitting each one. It can work almost like a flash uploader this way (G-mail uses this). The HTML5 method also works, but only on a few browsers.

I LOVE THIS ATTACHMENT LOADER!

I imported a thread via a RSS feed which had 70 images. I hate offering images linked to other sites with the IMG tag. I prefer all my images to be hosted on my own web server for a variety of reasons.

I was easily able to download the 70 images from a web directory. Uploading 70 images one at a time would not be fun. With the XF attachment uploader I was able to select them all at once and upload them with a single click. I was also able to attach all the images to the thread (they were in a line up at the end of the thread) in a single click.

Great design.

I LOVE THIS ATTACHMENT LOADER!
Great design.

I really really don't like vB4's attachment methods.
Especially when I really like vB3s.
A book could be written about the Human Factors disaster in vB4 attaching.
Would be a good case study for a university GUI design class.

But I LOVE attachments with xenforo.
The implementation is genius.
There is definitely no better attaching method for any other forum.
It really highlights what Mike and Kier can do.

Top Bottom