XF 1.0 Enhanced Attachment Uploader

One of the first 'Have You Seen...' videos we posted showed our attachment uploader in action, and went on to demonstrate how pictures could be quickly and easily inserted into messages.

However, the system at the time could only handle a single image being uploaded at once.

Not any more. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

GREAT addition :)

How well would an "Insert all thumbnails" or "Insert all full size images", I could see someone just showing off screenshots say 20 of them would get rather tedious going back and clicking insert on each one. I know they could simply keep them in the attachments area but just a thought. Either way... great job :)

An excellent suggestion.

Wow, I can only wonder what Fabian and Adrian at VB are thinking watching ultra useable features like this being added to XF. :eek: Wish those guys well.

Look at how IPB responded to vBulletin 3.x's new feature list and innovating interface .. I expect vBulletin to respond the same.

Wow, I can only wonder what Fabian and Adrian at VB are thinking watching ultra useable features like this being added to XF. :eek: Wish those guys well.
Yeah I've thought about those guys too. I appreciate your thoughtful comments, and likewise wish them well.
But this is where the buzz and the superior competencies and frequent and effective communication with the users, resulting in quick implementation of improvements and fixes. Geez, what a business model, eh?

Gotta say, I love it.

As I'm writing a CMS at the moment (why does everyone want a CMS nowadays?) I think that I'll be taking inspiration from this (and it helps that it's based off of FLOSS code too!)

I uploaded an attachment on Digital Point today. The difference in UI is just immense. I'd give vB4 a 1/10 for that, XF gets a 9,5/10 (0,5 pt room for improvement ;)).

I give XF a 8 out of 10. Why not a 9 or 10?
Well... It's nice to be able to upload multiple files at once but users with less or no experience won't use it because they don't know this feature exists.

I give XF a 8 out of 10. Why not a 9 or 10?
Well... It's nice to be able to upload multiple files at once but users with less or no experience won't use it because they don't know this feature exists.
That's something to think about. But I'm not so sure inexperienced users will not know. When you open a folder on your pc or Mac most people know they can select multiple items at once. Unless they are really inexperienced.

That's something to argue about. ;)

My point is: People need to learn that web applications are starting to act like any other software they know. A good web application basically a normal software, trapped in a browser window.
Over the last years, because of technical limitations, people were only using website with little interactivity. Times are changing, we are adapting quite fast but there a numerous people out there that simply don't expect a 'website' to behave like this. :)

I am working with TYPO3 almost every single day and I am giving TYPO3 training sessions to customers and you wouldn't believe the reactions I got when TYPO3 introduced a flash based multiple file upload in one of their latest releases. Most people couldn't even believe that something like this could be done in a browser window. :)

Edit:
This is probably not the best thread to discuss usability. If there is interest in an exchange of ideas, feel free to open a dedicated thread. :)

...When you open a folder on your pc or Mac most people know they can select multiple items at once. Unless they are really inexperienced.
In general, and it's just imho, I don't think design should be effected that would intentionally ignore inexperienced users.

I agree. However I think this affects very little people, while having a huge benefit for most.
No doubt, but that ratio varies widely based on the demographics of a forum's user base. If techie, sure no prob... but for people who are not techie but just want answers to questions and are new to XF, it could be very confusing. That's why I liked the idea of link text that tells the user what the link does, or at least in the mouseover popup.

GREAT addition :)

How well would an "Insert all thumbnails" or "Insert all full size images", I could see someone just showing off screenshots say 20 of them would get rather tedious going back and clicking insert on each one. I know they could simply keep them in the attachments area but just a thought. Either way... great job :)

This is a much needed feature imo.

Top Bottom