Resource icon

[bd] Widget Framework 2.6.6

No permission to download
Easier said than done mind you. Trying to merge the changes for non experts like myself is challenging. Thanks for the pointers
Yeah, I understand that. Also, changes are coming in that area in the next version of the add-on. So, you can wait for that too ;)

I have an issue with usergroup permissions, unless I am doing something wrong here. I have created a widget page. One of the widgets is a content widget, that handles the physical content I want it to show. Within that widget I am also showing a google ad. I want that ad to JUST show to me, the admin, via the admin ID. I wrapped the code in:

<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 3}"> Ad Code Here </xen:if>

but it still shows to everyone. I will be using usergroup ids to make it show only to certain groups, which is why I am using the admin group for now. (I would use the admin conditional otherwise.) Is the conditional not being parsed? Am I implementing the conditional itself wrong? Has anyone else experienced this issue? I took the number "3" as the admin usergroup id # seeing as it is passed in the url via the admin panel. A registered user can see the ad even though I thought the above code would make it my eyes only.

I have an issue with usergroup permissions, unless I am doing something wrong here. I have created a widget page. One of the widgets is a content widget, that handles the physical content I want it to show. Within that widget I am also showing a google ad. I want that ad to JUST show to me, the admin, via the admin ID. I wrapped the code in:

but it still shows to everyone. I will be using usergroup ids to make it show only to certain groups, which is why I am using the admin group for now. (I would use the admin conditional otherwise.) Is the conditional not being parsed? Am I implementing the conditional itself wrong? Has anyone else experienced this issue? I took the number "3" as the admin usergroup id # seeing as it is passed in the url via the admin panel. A registered user can see the ad even though I thought the above code would make it my eyes only.
Which renderer are you using?

Advanced HTML - No Wrapper
You cannot use XenForo template <xen:if /> in HTML renderer. You need to use Template renderer. However, if you only want to check for condition like that, you can keep using the HTML renderer and put the condition into the Expression field.

If I put the condition in the expression field, won't it affect the entire widget opposed to just the google ad? Could you give me an example how that would work? I don't exactly understand the expressions. If i were trying to do this:

How would i do that using the expression field?

If I put the condition in the expression field, won't it affect the entire widget opposed to just the google ad? Could you give me an example how that would work? I don't exactly understand the expressions. If i were trying to do this:

How would i do that using the expression field?
Yes, it affects the entire widget but you can create more than one widget anyway so it's suitable for your need I think. Or you can use the Template renderer, in that case you need to create a new template for your code.

If you decide to use the Expression, you can use this (actually it is an example right below the Expression field when you add widget).
PHP:
XenForo_Template_Helper_Core::callHelper('ismemberof', array($visitor, 3))

Thanks for the help. I am going to stick with the widgets pages for this endeavor and will use the expression field. I wasn't sure if the expression field affected the whole widget (which I thought it did) or if it was some sort of parsing engine that passed the variables on for use. Creating and maintaining extra templates is what I am trying to avoid. I will simply create 2 more widgets per page and split the content up. This way I will only have to deal with 178 widget pages versus 178 widget pages AND 178 templates. lol Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the help. I am going to stick with the widgets pages for this endeavor and will use the expression field. I wasn't sure if the expression field affected the whole widget (which I thought it did) or if it was some sort of parsing engine that passed the variables on for use. Creating and maintaining extra templates is what I am trying to avoid. I will simply create 2 more widgets per page and split the content up. This way I will only have to deal with 178 widget pages versus 178 widget pages AND 178 templates. lol Thanks again. I appreciate it.
I started to worry when I read 178 templates LOL.

I'm back because I just thought of something that would speed things up drastically for me. Is there a way for me to create a widget that is listed in the default widgets? I have several sections that will be utilizing ads and if I could create those ads as a default module I wouldn't be required to make each one independently. I could just turn it on and apply it. I know it can be done (or I am assuming it can be done) but I lack the knowledge (currently) to know what is required to do this.

This is how my widget pages function currently:

I have 2 widgets (will become 3 when I split the content widget into 2 widgets). Currently one widget holds the page content, which is an article. The second widget is a sidebar widget with a google ad specific to the section. (I have everything categorized into 4 sections.) There are 4 Categories that will each contain a sidebar widget that holds a google ad. So there are 4 different google ads just being utilized in the sidebar, category depending of course. (One per category so I can track their effectiveness.) I then have a second google ad within the article content widget, which will become its own widget. I would essentially be creating 8 custom widgets that I would like to create as default widgets so I can simply select the right one for each category.

I have no issue modifying code. I simply don't know how this could be accomplished. Could you guide me as to how to go about doing this? I used vBulletin for 12 years and could do this with their code without much issue. I am just learning Xenforo and the site I am working on is my first Xenforo project. (I hold 2 licenses.) If I can figure out how to create these default widgets, I will only need to make 8 of them versus 2 for every widget page! That is a significant time saver!

I'm back because I just thought of something that would speed things up drastically for me. Is there a way for me to create a widget that is listed in the default widgets? I have several sections that will be utilizing ads and if I could create those ads as a default module I wouldn't be required to make each one independently. I could just turn it on and apply it. I know it can be done (or I am assuming it can be done) but I lack the knowledge (currently) to know what is required to do this.

This is how my widget pages function currently:

I have 2 widgets (will become 3 when I split the content widget into 2 widgets). Currently one widget holds the page content, which is an article. The second widget is a sidebar widget with a google ad specific to the section. (I have everything categorized into 4 sections.) There are 4 Categories that will each contain a sidebar widget that holds a google ad. So there are 4 different google ads just being utilized in the sidebar, category depending of course. (One per category so I can track their effectiveness.) I then have a second google ad within the article content widget, which will become its own widget. I would essentially be creating 8 custom widgets that I would like to create as default widgets so I can simply select the right one for each category.

I have no issue modifying code. I simply don't know how this could be accomplished. Could you guide me as to how to go about doing this? I used vBulletin for 12 years and could do this with their code without much issue. I am just learning Xenforo and the site I am working on is my first Xenforo project. (I hold 2 licenses.) If I can figure out how to create these default widgets, I will only need to make 8 of them versus 2 for every widget page! That is a significant time saver!
You probably want to create new renderer they are the core of widgets. The idea is you can create many widgets of the same renderer, each widget is just a little bit different with some options. In order to do that, you will need to create a simple add-on. The instruction to create renderer is included in this add-on package, you can read the document right there. If you need more help, feel free to ask.

I found a very simple work around to my dilemma. I simply create 2 Content widgets for each article. One widget contains my ads and the other doesn't. Using the expression field I then set which is displayed to the viewer. It works out to be the exact same amount of work as creating the additional widget anyways and is a simple copy and paste. ;)

Hello,

I might be missing something ... I try to setup a test board from scratchm and after installing a few styles and a language pack, the first add on to install was widget framework.

I receive this error message:

The files associated with this add-on could not be found. Please upload them and try again.

The archive is intact, all files have been uploaded at least twice, but the error message stays. Is it possible that the archive is missing a file or two?

Hello,

I might be missing something ... I try to setup a test board from scratchm and after installing a few styles and a language pack, the first add on to install was widget framework.

I receive this error message:

The archive is intact, all files have been uploaded at least twice, but the error message stays. Is it possible that the archive is missing a file or two?
I'm quite certain that the add-on package at xenforo.com is complete. Many people upgraded/installed without issue. Please check if you have a file at library/WidgetFramework/Installer.php? And what is the file permission?

Hello,

you got me. I had styles as the target directory for the upload, so it couldn't work ...

I'm sorry, it's working now. Thanks for asking the best question to help me find the problem!

I've searched at length and not found an answer...

Is it possible for the Widget Framework to apply to appear for ALL users (guests and registered) on the category_view, forum_list, forum_view renderings, but ONLY appear for guests on the thread_view?

Google searches will bring new potential members to the thread_view, and having "guest only" information regarding the site and registration options on that sidebar would be useful. And the registered members would then have the benefit of the thread_view content being available in full width, without any sidebar present.

I've searched at length and not found an answer...

Is it possible for the Widget Framework to apply to appear for ALL users (guests and registered) on the category_view, forum_list, forum_view renderings, but ONLY appear for guests on the thread_view?

Google searches will bring new potential members to the thread_view, and having "guest only" information regarding the site and registration options on that sidebar would be useful. And the registered members would then have the benefit of the thread_view content being available in full width, without any sidebar present.

Possible. Easy if you just create different widgets for those positions. Harder if you want to do it with one widget.

Possible. Easy if you just create different widgets for those positions. Harder if you want to do it with one widget.
Separate widgets works fine...I've got a "workaround" in place now, using if/then criteria for the thread_list and thread_view templates, but something that integrates with WF would make overall management easier.

Separate widgets works fine...I've got a "workaround" in place now, using if/then criteria for the thread_list and thread_view templates, but something that integrates with WF would make overall management easier.
Would be hard to have something customized fotngour need though...

Top Bottom