Add-on Install & Upgrade

Add-on Install & Upgrade 1.4.3

No permission to download
There is a discussion tab for every resource where you can ask for support (instead of creating seperate threads).

Снимок экрана 2013-05-05 в 9.43.20.webp

Chris

Just one question.... who's permission applies when using the installer? Is the the web server user? I have updated my users (on the server that is) that have anything to do with creating/installing etc to the same groups, permissions on the directories involved have group read/write permissions yet I am still getting "mkdir(): permission denied" errors logged in the server error list. This happens when I go to install from zip file or tell it to get something from the resource manager.

Cheers

Hi Bruce,

It is most likely the web server user. I certainly don't do anything to make it use any specific user.

Chris

Just one question.... who's permission applies when using the installer? Is the the web server user? I have updated my users (on the server that is) that have anything to do with creating/installing etc to the same groups, permissions on the directories involved have group read/write permissions yet I am still getting "mkdir(): permission denied" errors logged in the server error list. This happens when I go to install from zip file or tell it to get something from the resource manager.

Cheers
Who is your host?

Inside the folder called myforum/install/addons can I delete those folders and the addon xml files in the myforum/install/data folder?

Yes to the first... these are just temp folders that haven't been cleaned up. install/addons is my folder.

Absolutely no to the second. This is your "Master" install data. It's a core folder.

Reactions: DRE
Yes to the first... these are just temp folders that haven't been cleaned up. install/addons is my folder.

Absolutely no to the second. This is your "Master" install data. It's a core folder.
Okay thanks. I was doing some Spring Cleaning when I noticed all that stuff there.

Okay so what about these three files marked in red? How come Waindigo's is the only addon xml files there?

teswa.webp

Ah yeah, I think all of Waindigo's add-on XML files are copied into that directory. The rest of the stuff is important.

Reactions: DRE
Hi Chris,

What does this error mean?

hIkKF6P.png

I don't usually get this error. :unsure:

Hi Chris,

What does this error mean?

hIkKF6P.png

I don't usually get this error. :unsure:

Worked out why. I deleted the install/addons folder which I thought could be deleted.

Will this affect anything in the future? I've added the folder back with permissions of 0777.

The install/addons folder needs to stay there regardless or you experience the error you mentioned above.

The contents within that folder can be cleared though. This usually happens after each install, but if the add-on install errors or exists unexpectedly or if there's some other issue, the temporary folders within can be left behind.

Cookie less domain solution :)

This is something so easy, that I don't know why on earth I didn't think of it before.

The Problem

You have another domain name for your static content.

For example, your website is sociallyuncensored.eu
But your static content folders /styles/ and /js/ are on a different domain name such as sociallyuncensored.com

This add-on will only work with 1 domain name and the default path in which your forum is installed on.

The Solution

Symlinks ---- YES, I really am that blond and it took me that long to figure this out. :ROFLMAO:

How do you make a symlink?
Its very easy actually. I've made them all the time & I've shown noobs how to do it.
Why on earth I didn't think of it for this add-on.... :ROFLMAO:

You will need SSH access. If you don't have that, please contact your host.

ln -s /home/USER/domains/sociallyuncensored.com/public_html/styles /home/USER/domains/sociallyuncensored.eu/public_html/forums/styles

The above example, GREEN is where the files really are and Red (Brown) is where the link goes. ln -s is the actual command (for those who may not know).

Now... If only my host didn't have such a strict policy which seems to still prevent me from using this add-on... ie... The classic "make directory error"

Hiya Chris,

Will this work with Styles too? If not, any plans to release a similar one? That way i could do most of my installs whilst at work, since we are firewalled up to the eyeballs and cant get an FTP connection out :)

cheers
Paul

No plans to handle Styles at the moment.

Unfortunately the way that style makers package their styles is a little too unpredictable for it to work well.

First and foremost, many styles have multiple child styles so working out which is the correct parent style to install probably wouldn't ever work.

Top Bottom