[xFS] User Smilies [Paid] [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

xFShowcase

User Smilies by XF Showcase allows your users to create their own smilies.

They simply upload their image, give it a title and specify some replacement text and that can then be used in any post they make.

Creating the smiley:
mXk5adP.png

Writing the post:
TnZX2Qd.png

The resulting post:
2qTtWnN.png

Once a user creates a smiley they can use that smiley in any of their posts and all other members can see that smiley. But only the original creator of the smiley can use it in their posts.

Anyone wishing to use someone else's smiley in their own posts will have to create the smiley themselves.

You can find a really useful guide over at the XF Showcase website for reference. You can also test out the User Smilies there for yourself.

http://www.xfshowcase.com/threads/xfs-user-smilies-v0-5.347/

This product will be supported and maintained by Chris Deeming but please post support questions and pre-sales questions in this Resource Thread rather than via PM.

Add-on Options

UKwafTn.png

Installation

This add-on can be installed using the Add-On Installer.

Alternatively, once purchased, you should download the zip file that is e-mailed to you. The download link stays the same across all versions that are released. Each version can be downloaded up to three times. Contact me directly should you experience any issues.
  • Extract the contents of the Zip file.
  • Upload the contents of the upload folder to the root of your XenForo installation.
  • Install in the Admin CP using the provided XML file.
Payment Options:

PayPal and Google Checkout.

Please contact Chris Deeming if you'd prefer to use Google Checkout or need some other payment arrangement.

License Agreement

Purchasing entitles you to use the add-on a single XenForo installation.

If you have more than one XenForo license where you wish to use this add-on then you must purchase additional copies.

For the avoidance of doubt, you are not entitled to copy, redistribute or modify, in whole or in part, any part of this add on.

THANK YOU.

Just to explain the current pricing and "BETA" status.

I will intend the price to increase to £15 once this product is out of BETA which from feedback I am told is reasonable.

I am keeping this in BETA as, in case you're not aware of the add-ons history, the full rights to this add-on (modify, sell, redistribute etc.) were purchased by XF Showcase. Therefore this add-on was originally developed by another author.

I know the add-on works, but I have identified a number of areas of improvements. As such, I don't feel ready enough to call this anything but a BETA right now. It's a very advanced BETA, but I will feel more comfortable taking it out of BETA once I have added my own stamp on it :)

The smilies created by the user will only render for the user that created them. Other users wishing to use the same smiley will have to add it themselves (this prevents a certain degree of abuse that could occur and actually helps moderation).

Just to clarify this bit, do you mean anyone who wants to be able to see the same smiley will have to add it, otherwise they'll just see e.g. :smalltroll: typed in your post?

Oops. No. I don't mean that. That was very poorly explained.

All users will be able to see the smiley, but only the "owner" of the smiley will be able to use it in their posts.

So here I am logged in as Laura Deeming, trying to use a smiley created and used by Chris Deeming. Laura Deeming can see the smiley in my posts, but Laura cannot see the smiley in her post.

8A4owse.png

Does this explain it better?

Once a user creates a smiley they can use that smiley in any of their posts and all other members can see that smiley. But only the original creator of the smiley can use it in their posts.

Anyone wishing to use someone else's smiley in their own posts will have to create the smiley themselves.

Yep, it was the word "render" which made me think you meant only the poster themselves could see it :)

An actual on-topic question now :p Any idea how much of a resource hog this is likely to be? I realise you didn't write it originally yourself which is why I'm asking. I can imagine if done in the wrong way it could use a lot of queries, etc.

Probably one of the first improvements we will look to make is the options.

I have now included a screenshot of the add-on's options in the first post.

Ideally, all of this would be handled and adjustable on a per user/usergroup basis so in a future version that's what we'll do.

Right now, you can specify the maximum width/height of an uploaded image, ban specific user IDs from being able to use smilies and also impose a daily limit...

I'm not really sure how important a daily limit is, but I guess all of these global options should translate nicely into usergroup permissions.

Could this be or is this usergroup based, so that I could only allow certain user groups to create their own smileys?

Once a user adds a smiley, will the smiley appear in their drop down smiley box, or must they remember the smiley name and manually type :smiley: to use it?

Once a user adds a smiley, will the smiley appear in their drop down smiley box, or must they remember the smiley name and manually type :smiley: to use it?
They must remember it (or refer to the user smilies page) and type it.

I've identified this as another area of improvement. A future version will include support for the default smiley drop down and [dc] Smiley Manager.

If one person uses :smalltroll: can another person upload their own image and also have it :smalltroll: or can it only be used once globally?

Besides usergroup based in the future, how about upload limit too per usergroup so usergroup A can upload 5 while usergroup b can upload 10 and usergroup c can have unlimited different smiles.

If one person uses :smalltroll: can another person upload their own image and also have it :smalltroll: or can it only be used once globally?

Besides usergroup based in the future, how about upload limit too per usergroup so usergroup A can upload 5 while usergroup b can upload 10 and usergroup c can have unlimited different smiles.
Yeah MOZ gave you the correct answer.

And yeah the usergroup limits will definitely make an appearance.

Any idea how much of a resource hog this is likely to be? I realise you didn't write it originally yourself which is why I'm asking. I can imagine if done in the wrong way it could use a lot of queries, etc.

Not sure if you missed this or if it's too hard to answer at the minute :-)

I'm sorry, I did miss it... maybe you edited your post or maybe I just wasn't paying attention :)

It's actually not too hard to answer.

I have done some testing and it basically adds a single query. That query fetches the user smilies from the cache in the DataRegistry. The cache is rebuilt when a new smiley is added.

The cache contains a simple serialized array of data (images are stored on the filesystem). It should scale pretty well.

Both can have :smalltroll: and their own image. Their image will only show yp in their post, so there really never was any conflict.
Any limitation on if :smalltroll: already exists as a configured smiley in XF by the admin? Will it allow the user to go ahead and add their own version of :smalltroll: or will it prevent the default definitions from being overridden?

If a user does add :smalltroll: to their posts and it becomes popular enough that the admin adds it to XF, which one takes precedence, the XF defintion or the user definition?

The first point is easy: the user is blocked from creating a smiley with the same text as a global smiley.

The other way around... Very good question. I will test this and report back.

The first point is easy: the user is blocked from creating a smiley with the same text as a global smiley.

The other way around... Very good question. I will test this and report back.

I think for such circumstances like this the user that uploaded the :insertsmileytextreplacement: the global smiley take priority and some kind of alert saying <change smiley replacement> or the users upload replacement is changed automatically by adding a digit or something with a message of some kind explaining it has been changed. Not sure the technical details on how this would be coded, but any global smiley text replacement used by a site admin should always take priority imo even if they upload it after the user smiley was uploaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom