XenZine Articles [Deleted]

Yes and no... more no than yes

You can do it, but not with the plugin alone
1) You can manually submit the 1st posts as an article, then thread merge the resulting thread created from the published article

or

2) SQL query to insert the 1st post of those threads (you'll still probably need to go in and add categories, keywords, etc)

But... it's not set up to do this, it's set up as an article management work flow for new articles. If you don't want to manually submit the 150 threads, or aren't confident to with SQL, then no

Would be nice if you coul "promote" treads (and all replies) into this addon..

I'll consider importing threads, but it's not top of my list right now...

But something like a public control to "covert thread to article" might be desired by many form admins. I still have a few things to do 1st
(I'll add it to the to-do list)

@Chris Deeming has a Date Change addon here designed to work with the Resource Manager.
I was going to use the RM for my Articles. Log in as User - paste in my existing Articles - use Chris's addon to set the dates to match the original dates.

Would Chris' date change work with this addon? It looks very like the Resource Manager.

On your demo site, the articles no longer open up the preview box right on the latest version (I tested other day and demo site was fine), they open up and don't force the others down, they just open up be hide the others.

Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 20.21.52.webp

None, I've set the index to re-route to article-list... I'm going to add this as an acp option, so forum admins will be able to select "article-list" / "category-list" / "authors-picks" as the xenzine index

The demo should be fixed again now

Last edited:
This add-on is almost exactly what I'm looking for. There's a few extra options that would make it perfect. @tenants could you let me know if these are planned features

1) More article display types - Currently there is an article page with a tab to go to the discussion but I would also like the option of having the article displayed as a regular tab-less thread with the first post styling altered to look like an article. So basically an article thread would be the same as a regular thread but with the opening post styled to look like an article.

2) A portal widget - If there could be a slider widget available to add to the widget framework or XenPorta or the Forum homepage it would make it possible to promote the latest news or newest articles via the homepage.

3) A proper authors section - I know we can go to the profile page and list articles but how about an an authors/contributors page (like a 'this is the staff' style page) which has a boxed list of every author and then links to a page which contains their bio, a pic and then a list of the articles they have written.

4) Boxed Category Section - A page where you can have the latest articles, news, sport, interviews, etc each in a boxed section with the last 4 or 5 articles

...are any of these in the planning?

Have found a few bugs with this.

First off you can not edit the Author text, this happens:
Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 14.34.40.webp Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 14.34.48.webp

Next is a missing word from the buttons for Upload.
Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 14.36.52.webp

The author text is not supposed to be edited (authors have a resource box, which they can edit) ... There is actually no need for author text and I was intending to remove it (which is probably why I neglected it). That field wont be there next version

The 2nd one is a phrase, I've since added it

@Chris Deeming has a Date Change addon here designed to work with the Resource Manager.
I was going to use the RM for my Articles. Log in as User - paste in my existing Articles - use Chris's addon to set the dates to match the original dates.

Would Chris' date change work with this addon? It looks very like the Resource Manager.

Replying as you tagged me. No. My Resource Manager Date Change add-on will not change the dates of other add-ons content.

@tenants would need to include that feature for you.

I really like the features here..super cool stuff. Can you have a demo with xen 1.2 really want to know how the page would look when its responsive.

I really like the features here..super cool stuff. Can you have a demo with xen 1.2 really want to know how the page would look when its responsive.

Xenforo.com is running 1.2 so just check it on ur mobile

If you're referring to the XenZine, i believe his demo is responsive anyway

Might as well turn this into a CMS haha. Good work! Might pick up this after a few more updates!

I will most likely use this as my landing page too. I hope it'll be easy to theme it out to my own tastes. I want to have this addon have a unique look of its own while the forum has its own looks.

first of all, I would like to give you a huge "thumbs up" (y) and congratulate you for being the very first person here on XenForo who managed to properly integrate "Desandro Masonry" into XenForo.
Thanks a lot! Well done (y)(y)(y)

I hope you don't mind if I submit a few ideas and suggestions: :)
(you might want to add those features as "default" or "optional" settings into your Addon):

Especially when considering to put the interface of this Addon onto the Index-page (Homepage) and have the "Forums" as a secondary interface. :coffee:

1)
Ditch the 3 Tabs at the "Articles page".
At the articles-page it should show the image in "big size format" (or original-size-format) centered at the top. Underneath the "Image" it should show the "Article".
Underneath the "Article" it should show the Forum-thread.
Put the content of the Tab named "Reviews" into the Sidebar. At the sidebar of the Article-page, you show the "Reviews & Ratings" related to the specific article.
So you literally have "everything" related to the article shown at ONE page without the need to click any Tab.

2)
Display the "Categories" directly at the Homepage, so that all Categories are immediately visible at the Homepage without the need of clicking onto any Link or Tab.
So that all categories are shown at the top of the Homepage, without the need of clicking onto a Link in the SubNavBar.
Alternatively have the Categories in a simple Dropdown at the Homepage.... or display them in the left sidebar same as at the RM ? Anyway, the "Categories" should not be at a separate page.

3)
Once you click the image, the Article-Page should open up.
The Forum-thread shows underneath the article.

4)
Removing of all distracting items from the image: e.g.: "Star Rating images", Link named "more >>",

5)
Removing of the "blue-colored border" around the images.

6)
Hover-effect for each image same as at www.weheartit.com
Show "Likes", "Tags", "Stars", etc. for each image ONLY when hovering over the image.

7)
Masonry Loading-style not "centered", but same "loading style" as at Pinterest

8)
Ability to "pin" articles which you find somewhere on the internet, very similar to www.snip.it
Not only use your own articles (or articles written by your users), but additionally have the ability to "pin" already existing articles from external sources (e.g.: an article from CNN.com or any other website) by using a "Browser Bookmarklet".
Literally pulling "external articles" into XenForo on the fly by Bookmarking via Browser-Bookmarklet. More here

9)
User being able to define "Folders" or "Collections" at his own "User-Profile-Page" to categorize his own articles, articles from other members and external articles (e.g.: "pinned" articles" from an external website like e.g.: CNN.com) into his own interest-based Collections. More here

10)
instead of clicking "more >>>", there could be also a "Preview Popup" same as we already have by default in XF once you hover over a Forum-thread-title. This would be an alternative option.

11)
Ability to implement/embed .PDF-files into the article, as described here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-embed-pdf-file-into-my-rm-via-htm-page.49008/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xen-media-gallery-paid.49067/page-12#post-534008

12)
not sure if the buttons at the Homepage "Order by Publish Date" and "Order by Ratings" need to be such "prominent" buttons ?
The latest posts will be shown at the top anyway if you have an "endless scrolling page". Not sure if the "Ratings" are that important to show at the Homepage ?
IMHO it is much more important to prominently display the "Categories" at the Homepage.

13)
when there is a new Forum-reply to a certain "article", make that article getting "bumped" to the top of the Masonry-page again. So this would be some sort of "What's New" in Masonry-style.

:coffee:

Please let me know if you want / need any additional explanations for each of the suggestions

:)

Strong work :), as we can see the potential of this addon so I'll definitely will be watching this to see how this addon evolves . I like the above feature request specifically 6,7, and definitely 8 .

@tenants Is there a strong possibility that this will get added in a later update?

If so I'd definitely be on-board, thanks in advance for your reply

tenants said that he was planning to finish the next version within 2 weeks, maybe 10 days now as that was about 3 days ago.
I think to do that he has a list of exactly what to do based on earlier requests, and he is concentrating on that at the moment.

I would expect him to discuss more requests after that.
He has been very responsive to requests.

I've update the to do list with the things I've already done for the next version (1.1.0 .. not release yet)
XenZine Articles [Paid]

I'm currently working on the Editors Picks section

@Morgain I should let you know "definable forums for categories" is in, but they are only defined in the ACP (not defined by the users). If the user was to define which forum the article should be published into, this would increase every forum by a query count of 1. I want to keep this plugin to a 0 query overhead plugin for all threads in non-article forums (and only +1 for article forums)

Is there any way that proper text flow around images can be done inside the articles? Something like what WP does where the left, right, center and size of the thumb can be set? This has been one main feature holding me back from any article system in XF.

Can you explain this one to me with an image?

Last edited:
Thank you kindly sir for the update and efficient route map.

"definable forums for categories" is in, but they are only defined in the ACP (not defined by the users). If the user was to define which forum the article should be published into, this would increase every forum by a query count of 1.
Could you consider making this an admin option, with this explanation of consequences? For small boards this is not a problem. I would much rather let my authors pick a forum than force them to request I do it.

6) Options to select an article page as your "home page" (This options will only work for XF 1.2 up) Done v1.1.0
Does this mean this works with 1.1.0?
On one forum I am very nervous of upgrading to 1.2. because of a big addon.

7) Editors Picks (as an optional row for each category, and it's own page)
Not sure if this covers what I want. I want an Editors' picks row to go on the homepage , together with row of Latest.
Plus row I make of a fixed Category with my intro sections - each intro = article + discussion.

Since Chris says I cannot use his addon to change the date on articles I now don't know how to bring my existing articles into this addon. I don't mind doing it manually for each article - there are less than 100 so far. I can Login As User to get the right author and just copy the old article. But the date? ...... what can I do?

Top Bottom