XenVetana (was XenVetica)

I just made available a new style here at XenForo.com - it's the same as the normal one, except it's using the classic Helvetica font instead of the usual Trebuchet / Georgia / Calibri combination that XenForo normally uses.

Anyone like it? It's very clean, and emboldened Helvetica text is much more obvious than emboldened Trebuchet... Still, I'm not proposing a change to the default, I'm just trying stuff out :)

Could we have it with Comic San Serif ..... runs for cover!

After using it for a while I feel the font-version comes across as more outdated. vs the default which when switched back to felt 'ah, xenforo again'. I will leave it for a few more days to get over myself, but so far I personally prefer the fresh look of the default.

One thing which I find neat about a style I have on my own forum, is users can change the font type, colour and the hue/colour of the forum itself.
It'd be neat if XF could incorporate that, to.

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiixed Widthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

argrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgghgghgghghgh
Ya me too. I don't mind fixed width as long as it's a bit wider. The width of this one just makes everything feel squished up.

SO even tho the Helvetica/Verdana fonts are much easier for me to read, sadly I have to go back to the default style.

I just switched back to the default font, and I must say it has the feeling of being really sloppy. It reminds me of when I was a kid, and I would use Comic Sans MS on school papers because I thought it looked cool, but in reality it was not appealing or professional looking.

Tahoma is a UI font (it's actually horizontally-compressed Verdana), and it's fairly hopeless for large bodies of text, IMHO.

As UI fonts go it's really not that bad for forum posts (usually more than enough spacing for reading to still be comfortable), plus verdana is unnaturally wide as it is imho

I feel the font-version comes across as more outdated. I personally prefer the fresh look of the default.
The "fresh look" of the serif on the default is actually much older than a sans serif typeface. You know, if you care about such historical details. Sans serif fonts are a 20th century thing. They came into favor for screen displays early on in the computer age for readability reasons.

That's why a serif font might look "fresh" to you now. But in the early days of the web, everything was Times New Roman on a grey background. That was the default. So it's really more old school than it is fresh.

Yeah but Trebuchet MS is 20th century and has recently experienced a revival in some web 2 sites. Also something which is intrinsically old can be considered fresh in a niche where everyone has been using something else for years. It depends on how you look at it. I guess he could have said 'stale' instead of 'outdated'.

Yeah but Trebuchet MS is 20th century and has recently experienced a revival in some web 2 sites.
Things that were created in 1996 can be experiencing "revivals" already?

Pretty soon these nostalgia cycles are going to loop back over themselves and we'll start to experience nostalgia for things that haven't been created yet.

I just hope that Steve Jobs will adapt quickly enough to sell prestalgia to us at premium prices. If not, I think we're looking at the end of the world here. And that would just be sad.

Things that were created in 1996 can be experiencing "revivals" already?

Pretty soon these nostalgia cycles are going to loop back over themselves and we'll start to experience nostalgia for things that haven't been created yet.

I just hope that Steve Jobs will adapt quickly enough to sell prestalgia to us at premium prices. If not, I think we're looking at the end of the world here. And that would just be sad.
It's a strange world indeed :p

Yeah but Trebuchet MS is 20th century and has recently experienced a revival in some web 2 sites. Also something which is intrinsically old can be considered fresh in a niche where everyone has been using something else for years. It depends on how you look at it. I guess he could have said 'stale' instead of 'outdated'.

I love Trebuchet MS. I started using it recently in emails and even letters I need to send/print out.

Top Bottom