Xenforo Review system - Would you invest

The RM's nothing to do with me, so :p

The reason I can't give an answer currently is because it's not something I've ever considered. I wanted the review system for Admin Extra, it's a custom mod that no one else has and, forgive me for being selfish, but I kinda like having something that is different from the norm :p

So I'd want to have a good think about whether or not I want to give up the rights on it to someone else *shrug*

Your not selfish your well within your rights to retain exclusive rights, I would and do with my custom standalone latest threads per forum ID. A b-i-tch.... hell yeah, certainly not selfish. :LOL:

The waindigo Book Review addon is not planned to develop a generic version to review other items than books.
Book Reviews is based on another coder's code so cannot be legally altered that much.

The Library addon by waindigo is planned to develop with flexible templates for Article pages which could adapt to reviews of anything you like.

However I can't continue to fund ALL the Library development all alone so bits like pulling data from Amazon like the ISBN, and other stuff, would need another contributor. Likes and ratings I don't think would be a problem.
Currently we are looking at the design of a listings page to bring in Stickies, and Latest; better integration with what's new/ members activities; and virtual (duplicate or link) Articles.
Next stage is templates.
http://waindigo.com/forums/library-by-waindigo.2/

The waindigo Book Review addon is not planned to develop a generic version to review other items than books.
Book Reviews is based on another coder's code so cannot be legally altered that much.

The Library addon by waindigo is planned to develop with flexible templates for Article pages which could adapt to reviews of anything you like.

However I can't continue to fund ALL the Library development all alone so bits like pulling data from Amazon like the ISBN, and other stuff, would need another contributor. Likes and ratings I don't think would be a problem.
Currently we are looking at the design of a listings page to bring in Stickies, and Latest; better integration with what's new/ members activities; and virtual (duplicate or link) Articles.
Next stage is templates.
http://waindigo.com/forums/library-by-waindigo.2/

I don't think the library system would extend to multiple ratings, features list and affiliate integration... or list 'latest reviews' or 'all reviews by x user'.
The resources manager will most likely also be limited in the above regard.

If there is enough take up for a generic 'reviews' modification then me and Jon will put one together however, we want to see whether this will need to be a from scratch mod or to simply extend the resources manager.

I don't think the library system would extend to multiple ratings, features list and affiliate integration... or list 'latest reviews' or 'all reviews by x user'.

Actually my plan for my Library addon did and does include most of this. Back in January my Roadmap was as below - unfortunately the Resources Manager crashed across the original roadmap and discussion thread which is probably why you haven't seen it Rob. It got left behind when Library was transferred to the RM.

http://waindigo.com/threads/updated-roadmap-for-library.23/

See especially stage 4A. This has most of what is needed for a Generic Reviews addon.

Actually my plan for my Library addon did and does include most of this. Back in January my Roadmap was as below - unfortunately the Resources Manager crashed across the original roadmap and discussion thread which is probably why you haven't seen it Rob. It got left behind when Library was transferred to the RM.

http://waindigo.com/threads/updated-roadmap-for-library.23/

See especially stage 4A. This has most of what is needed for a Generic Reviews addon.
If the library mod gets all the features required for a generic review system (I mean all the features to make a GOOD and flexible review system) then that will become the mods main focus. Its silly to assume everyone who wants a full blown generic review system would also want a full blown article review system. It's silly to assume the same in reverse also. If the library mod becomes a fully blown articles system with all the features you would expect then that is one hell of a lot of bloat to carry for someone who just wants a reviews system. It's reasonable to assume the same in reverse too.

These mods need to be separate in my humble opinion.

I'd definitely like to see two different systems, personally. Why make things more and more complex?

I'm in for financial assistance, if needed. I will also need some custom tweaks made to include a Google Map and a form submission. I would basically want to turn the review add-on into a hybrid lead generation/business review system.

Its silly to assume everyone who wants a full blown generic review system would also want a full blown article review system. It's silly to assume the same in reverse also. If the library mod becomes a fully blown articles system with all the features you would expect then that is one hell of a lot of bloat ...
These mods need to be separate in my humble opinion.

There is no bloat.
With flexible templates you choose which extra fields you want to add for your particular needs. So the code provides that one editor feature, to add fields.
I've worked with this kind of feature in the past and it's great. You also build a collection of other users' templates available which you can then use, or tweak to fit exact needs.
This has always been part of the Library plans.

But the Reviews functions are a bit different as they need Amazon integration and affiliation as options. (That couldn't be done with Flexible Templates the fields would need to be fixed and inaccessible to tweaking.) Plus Ratings.

What I'm currently looking at is the idea of Reviews being a compatible mod for the Library because just as you say there will be different requirements.

A) Library only.
B) Library + Flexible Templates.
C) Library + Reviews (Amazon, Ratings)
D) Library + Flexible Templates + Reviews.

A bit more detail here.,
http://waindigo.com/threads/generic-reviews-unit-shared-sponsorship.24/#post-33

What is a library mod? Is that a directory? Or something more specific to books?

Reviews is a directory by definition. For example the difference between a business directory and a reviews directory is only, that the latter has ratings and comments.

Currently I see a lot of demand for a full blown reviews addon for XenForo, vbulletin and IPB. Similar threads are to be found at all 3 communities.

What is a library mod? Is that a directory? Or something more specific to books?
Reviews is a directory by definition. For example the difference between a business directory and a reviews directory is only, that the latter has ratings and comments.
Currently I see a lot of demand for a full blown reviews addon for XenForo, vbulletin and IPB. Similar threads are to be found at all 3 communities.

The Library add-on is designed so you can edit pages from the frontend just like writing a forum post, with text or images or both. Like a forum message images can be uploads or URL links.
Articles can be single or multiple pages, which paginate, so chapters or series are supported.
They have TITLE, CONTENT, and PREVIEW SNIPPET (For listings). Author name and date is displayed. Author avatar is displayed, but there is also an alternative small addon toi display a small graphic on the listing of author's choice.
Articles can optionally link to a forum thread for discussion, keeping comments in the central core, the forums, and with the better quality functions of forum messages over blog comments.
Articles are contained in one or more Libraries which are subject to usergroup permissions.
Libraries are nodes which integrate with the node tree. A library can contain any other nodes including Libraries, or be the child of any other type of node including Libraries.
New Articles show in "What's On" just like threads.

Right now current development is on the design of Library listings pages
to have sticky Articles/ Latest Articles, and numeric or A-Z sort.
Also Likes on Articles.

The next stage (no. 3) is to bring in a template editor so Admins can create different kinds of Articles according to the needs of the site. Instead of a one size fits all Review you'd make it fit the types of things your site reviews.
As well as the basic Title, Content, and Preview, the admin could add fields to create a Review Article,providing boxes for technical details of a gadget, or date of manufacture, or publisher, or an image or several, or URLs, or links to media, or any other other specifics that make a Review informative in a structured way, and appropriate to the site.
In this way a submitted Review would be displayed in a consistent way with other Reviews of the same type of item. But not in a standardised way so your Reviews are just like evryone else's. Not one size fits all.

There could also be a different format Reviews on the same site. Book reviews need to show different sets of info to music or film reviews, or software reviews, cars, gadgets, events, artwork, websites, celebrities ... anything. But the admin would ONLY have the types of format they needed for their own site, so there is no bloat.

All Reviews could be stored in one Library, or in several themed Libraries, perhaps all contained in a mega Library. But Libraries can be stored in an XF Category or displayed as part of a forum. (Remember any Article/ Review can link to a forum thread for comments.)

The flexibility is very high. Creating templates with an editor at admin level also means an Article can be a Quote/ Website directory item etc. Almost any kind of object, created item, or event could be described and analysed. Galleries are possible (they already are but they would be more formally structured).
Users will be able to share templates for types of Articles/ Reviews if they do not want to create their own.
It would not be difficult to add Ratings.

The flexible template editor could provide a personal album or blog to link off the Profile page.
Part of the planned roadmap is also to support members having their own personal Library to display their own Reviews/ blogs/ Articles, their own magazine (Article collections in a series), timelines you name it. This would be useful to collect one Reviewer's work on one page or series of pages with other info about them.

But some review systems will want integration with Amazon to get feeds or connect with the affiliate system.This will need different treatment.
This would require a set page template to work with Amazon's page fields. This Amazon derived Review would need to be an independent addon that works with the Library foundation.So it benefits from all the considerable features of Libraries and Articles, but uses a page layout designed to draw info from Amazon and optionally work as an Amazon affiliate.

It's all about admin choice really. Have just the fixed type of Review that works with Amazon.
Have fixed type Reviews but also your own design or someone else's for other types of Reviews. Plus if you like other Articles for text and pictures. Plus authors having their own Library collections on a page (their Reviews or other work) and any part of this can link to a forum thread.

A number of XF people are already interested in both types of development.

Shan, the library mod will never be a full blown review system. It may be able to handle basic review type articles but it wont lend itself to all of the features easily.
There is still a need for a stand-alone, flexible review system regardless of how much you want it to be in the library. Once that mod is complete I doubt you would want to use the library for reviews at all. If it is node based then a review category could be included within a library since as far as I am aware the library is node based. A standalone version will ensure it is developed with all the bells and whistles you would need from a review system with very little else. I agree though that it should play nice with the library.

It's very difficult to judge that Rob. I'm talking about an addon which is well on its way and I've used it and know what it can do. I've also worked closely with the coder to deveop it.
Finally I have had these plans developing for years so they are very thoughly thought through.

Ive seen your hopes for a Resource Manager hack as a Reviews addon and I agree that could work. I analysed the Resource Manager myself with that in mind.
Trouble is we don't have the backend of the RM to play with and it's anyone's guess when we will get it. Could be months or could be a year or more. So planning on an RM hack has little to offer right now which is specific and solid.

Alternatively if you are talking about a brand new addon then it would be very interesting indeed not just for me either, to hear what structure and features you have in mind. That would be exciting!

If you're thinking of an independent project that would though independent, integrate with Library (like Nodes-As-Tabs does) that would be pretty much what I was describing as the fixed Review pathway.

I think though it would be worth examining just how much independence is worth it. Duplicating a lot of existing work is a waste of time if you don't have to. Much of the Library foundations like creating a new node and integrating it, and various other underpinnings and features would be much the same.

You have said that Library could not do Review things but you don't say exactly what you mean. Maybe we have different ideas on what Reviews are.
To me that means a template for title, tags, preview snippet for listing.
Listing page with categories, showing title (linked), preview snippet, author, date, Ratings.
On the Review page a lead graphic, explanatory text, a set of fields for specs (for books publication/ copyright details; for software different details, etc), small avatar for author, author's name, date of Review.
Likes, Ratings. Linked discussion.
A really good Review system needs Amazon integration for products that Amazon does. To pull data, and for affiliates. Maybe Ebay too. Links to similar items.
Reviewer's page with lists of their reviews, linked to their pages and their discussions.
Searchable within categories, or globally.
For XF integration with Whats On? and Members Activity lists. Node integration. Usergroup permissions to read, write, edit, delete. Draft Reviews.

I may have missed a detail here and there but I can't imagine a Reviews system very different to this. If your plans are different it would be great to hear them and to compare notes. Better to help each other and not waste time on unnecessary duplication.

Top Bottom