XenForo Cloud discussion

Mendalla

A range of locations will be available, including in the EU.
Will Canada be one or would a Canadian site have to be hosted in the EU or US? (says a Canadian who is used to being ignored by the big boys :D)

So far, I like what I am hearing. Unlike some existing sites, I could probably actually get some use out of this. Would just have to see how it fits with our non-existent budget once final pricing is out. Okay, we have a budget, just not a fixed revenue stream. It's all goodwill donations from supporters.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
We hope Canada will be one of the locations. Forgive us for being vague but there are still a few things to figure out with regards to exactly how the available regions will be exposed and there may be factors such as availability and capacity that affect what locations we can provide.

Hoffi

The next logic step will probably be "Headless Forum" which probably can be done with XF Coud if you only use API.

nopitter

I don´t know who could benefit from a hosted community service, when there are no addons available, no ftp access,

Everybody, who does not want to, or is not able, to run an own server. And does not want to take care about updates and security issues. Ok, thats a matter of trust.

At the moment, i have to say no. Because:

1. Is the hosted server inside EU? If not, that is a no-go because of GDPR issues.

2. Plugins: I understand 100%, that xf does not want to support software from others. Thats why I try to avoid any plugins. But there are some have-to functions, which are not in the core: Banner management, user upgrade notification and some others.

3. Backup: No matter, what the hoster does or promises - i want to have a local backup of files/database. So no matter what happened, I could start a backup running. As far as there is a download version available also.

ok, and some other issues

In principle, for me it sounds like an interesting option and I will keep an eye on it.

Peter

sixlxvi

In the announcement thread there’s a link to register your interest in this. Are some of those registrations going to be used for early testing?

RobParker

Any idea what some of the larger tiers would be in terms of server stats and cost?

For example, we have around 2000 users currently online and this can really spike to 5000 or so a few days a year during our really peak times. I think that'd be considered quite hefty requirements.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Any idea what some of the larger tiers would be in terms of server stats and cost?

For example, we have around 2000 users currently online and this can really spike to 5000 or so a few days a year during our really peak times. I think that'd be considered quite hefty requirements.
There's nothing to announce at this moment but they are fairly hefty requirements so I would expect a cost considerably more than $60. We're working on a bunch of things internally to tweak and define the tiers beyond $60 so keep your eyes peeled for that.

RobParker

There's nothing to announce at this moment but they are fairly hefty requirements so I would expect a cost considerably more than $60. We're working on a bunch of things internally to tweak and define the tiers beyond $60 so keep your eyes peeled for that.

Yep, it was more whether it'd be comparable to the $500+ I pay now. Happy to wait and see what the big tiers end up looking like.

ShikiSuen

1. I would like to see whether servers will also be situated in Hongkong (if a customer wants). Hongkong servers can guarantee the blazing-fast access speed from both inside Mainland China and outside.

2. Is XFES enabled to these XF Cloud instances? How much additional price?

3. Is it convenient to use collation "utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci" in lieu of "utf8mb4_general_ci"?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
1. I would like to see whether servers will also be situated in Hongkong (if a customer wants). Hongkong servers can guarantee the blazing-fast access speed from both inside Mainland China and outside.
The only Asian locations available - subject to capacity and availability - are Seoul, Singapore and Tokyo.

2. Is XFES enabled to these XF Cloud instances? How much additional price?
XFES is included at no extra cost.

3. Is it convenient to use collation "utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci" in lieu of "utf8mb4_general_ci"?
XF only supports utf8mb4_general_ci therefore that is the only collation available on XF Cloud instance databases.

ShikiSuen

The only Asian locations available - subject to capacity and availability - are Seoul, Singapore and Tokyo.
Sigh... Both Seoul and Tokyo are in frequent earthquake areas. Singapore can get involved into tsunami.
If not considering the geographical concerns, maybe Seoul is the best place, considering that they have the most developed basic internet facilities. To mention that Microsoft 365 Global East-Asia servers are situated in Singapore, for your reference.

Deriel

season 4 energy GIF by Wentworth

It's a wonderful iniciative from XF! A no-hassle forum hosting will atract many new players. I hope it pays itself manyfold and give XF then $ to do many other innovations!