XenForo Cloud discussion

A range of locations will be available, including in the EU.
Will Canada be one or would a Canadian site have to be hosted in the EU or US? (says a Canadian who is used to being ignored by the big boys :D)

So far, I like what I am hearing. Unlike some existing sites, I could probably actually get some use out of this. Would just have to see how it fits with our non-existent budget once final pricing is out. Okay, we have a budget, just not a fixed revenue stream. It's all goodwill donations from supporters.

We hope Canada will be one of the locations. Forgive us for being vague but there are still a few things to figure out with regards to exactly how the available regions will be exposed and there may be factors such as availability and capacity that affect what locations we can provide.

I don´t know who could benefit from a hosted community service, when there are no addons available, no ftp access,

Everybody, who does not want to, or is not able, to run an own server. And does not want to take care about updates and security issues. Ok, thats a matter of trust.

At the moment, i have to say no. Because:

1. Is the hosted server inside EU? If not, that is a no-go because of GDPR issues.

2. Plugins: I understand 100%, that xf does not want to support software from others. Thats why I try to avoid any plugins. But there are some have-to functions, which are not in the core: Banner management, user upgrade notification and some others.

3. Backup: No matter, what the hoster does or promises - i want to have a local backup of files/database. So no matter what happened, I could start a backup running. As far as there is a download version available also.

ok, and some other issues

In principle, for me it sounds like an interesting option and I will keep an eye on it.

Peter

In the announcement thread there’s a link to register your interest in this. Are some of those registrations going to be used for early testing?

Any idea what some of the larger tiers would be in terms of server stats and cost?

For example, we have around 2000 users currently online and this can really spike to 5000 or so a few days a year during our really peak times. I think that'd be considered quite hefty requirements.

Any idea what some of the larger tiers would be in terms of server stats and cost?

For example, we have around 2000 users currently online and this can really spike to 5000 or so a few days a year during our really peak times. I think that'd be considered quite hefty requirements.
There's nothing to announce at this moment but they are fairly hefty requirements so I would expect a cost considerably more than $60. We're working on a bunch of things internally to tweak and define the tiers beyond $60 so keep your eyes peeled for that.

There's nothing to announce at this moment but they are fairly hefty requirements so I would expect a cost considerably more than $60. We're working on a bunch of things internally to tweak and define the tiers beyond $60 so keep your eyes peeled for that.

Yep, it was more whether it'd be comparable to the $500+ I pay now. Happy to wait and see what the big tiers end up looking like.

1. I would like to see whether servers will also be situated in Hongkong (if a customer wants). Hongkong servers can guarantee the blazing-fast access speed from both inside Mainland China and outside.

2. Is XFES enabled to these XF Cloud instances? How much additional price?

3. Is it convenient to use collation "utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci" in lieu of "utf8mb4_general_ci"?

1. I would like to see whether servers will also be situated in Hongkong (if a customer wants). Hongkong servers can guarantee the blazing-fast access speed from both inside Mainland China and outside.
The only Asian locations available - subject to capacity and availability - are Seoul, Singapore and Tokyo.

2. Is XFES enabled to these XF Cloud instances? How much additional price?
XFES is included at no extra cost.

3. Is it convenient to use collation "utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci" in lieu of "utf8mb4_general_ci"?
XF only supports utf8mb4_general_ci therefore that is the only collation available on XF Cloud instance databases.

The only Asian locations available - subject to capacity and availability - are Seoul, Singapore and Tokyo.
Sigh... Both Seoul and Tokyo are in frequent earthquake areas. Singapore can get involved into tsunami.
If not considering the geographical concerns, maybe Seoul is the best place, considering that they have the most developed basic internet facilities. To mention that Microsoft 365 Global East-Asia servers are situated in Singapore, for your reference.

season 4 energy GIF by Wentworth

It's a wonderful iniciative from XF! A no-hassle forum hosting will atract many new players. I hope it pays itself manyfold and give XF then $ to do many other innovations!

Will XF cloud support the ability to configure server-level things like 301 redirects?

Also, will the external storage solution below be supported, or would it all be part of your tiered hosting solution?

Just to address Peter’s GDPR concerns - you can choose a location during sign up to suit your requirements. If you need to host in the EU, no problem. If you want to go elsewhere, also no problem.

As I understand, 3rd party add-ons are probably not supported, and how would we benefit from this awesome news?

Just to address Peter’s GDPR concerns - you can choose a location during sign up to suit your requirements. If you need to host in the EU, no problem. If you want to go elsewhere, also no problem.
Maybe whip up a survey like one page form, where users can go through it and answer some questions and get a final score as to whether XF Cloud is suited to them? Would save you heaps of customer support queries for such. So questions like

1. Do you require hosting in geographical locations other than XX, YY, ZZ? Yes/No
2. Do you require 3rd party addons to be installed? Yes/No
3. Do you require MySQL character set/collation other than utf8mb4/utf8mb4_general_ci ? Yes/No
4. Do you require Cloudflare or other CDN cache support ? Yes/No

You could have other survey questions like backups local/remote access, required frequency of backups and/or geographical location of backup requirements etc. Then expand the list of questions as you field additional questions related to XF Cloud suitability :)

So whenever a potential XF Cloud user asks if it's suited to them, folks can just point to that one page form/survey to assess if it's right for them. Added feature would be able to generate a unique URL on submission of form to be able to link to their results/answers so they can share with XF support or on the forums etc. If you put the answers into a database, you can use the page as a tool to assess interest in XF Cloud and also see what features next to add support for XF Cloud etc :)

Just an idea :D

Last edited:
What about security/DDOS protection ? I assume something like Cloudflare Magic Transit, Cloudflare SSL For SaaS and Cloudflare CDN/WAF would used for instances running from your subdomain ? But still allow those bringing their own domains to use Cloudflare themselves?
Bringing up the question of whether Cloudflare CDN cache will have a role in XF Cloud? If it does, make sure XF Cloud instances can leverage CDN-Cache-Control and/or Cloudflare-CDN-Cache-Control response headers https://blog.cloudflare.com/cdn-cache-control/ :) So even if you don't use Cloudflare, but end user does, XF code served from XF Cloud could control Cloudflare CDN cache better without need for end user to set CF page rules/cache rules themselves.

Maybe whip up a survey like one page form, where users can go through it and answer some questions and get a final score as to whether XF Cloud is suited to them? Would save you heaps of customer support queries for such. So questions like

1. Do you require hosting in geographical locations other than XX, YY, ZZ? Yes/No
2. Do you require 3rd party addons to be installed? Yes/No
3. Do you require MySQL character set/collation other than utf8mb4/utf8mb4_general_ci ? Yes/No
4. Do you require Cloudflare or other CDN cache support ? Yes/No

You could have other survey questions like backups local/remote access, required frequency of backups and/or geographical location of backup requirements etc. Then expand the list of questions as you field additional questions related to XF Cloud suitability :)

So whenever a potential XF Cloud user asks if it's suited to them, folks can just point to that one page form/survey to assess if it's right for them. Added feature would be able to generate a unique URL on submission of form to be able to link to their results/answers so they can share with XF support or on the forums etc. If you put the answers into a database, you can use the page as a tool to assess interest in XF Cloud and also see what features next to add support for XF Cloud etc :)

Just an idea :D
Not an unreasonable idea, but it's a bit much for these early stages, and by the time we launch proper the sales page/sign up process should make everything that is still relevant by then quite clear and a survey shouldn't be required.

Bringing up the question of whether Cloudflare CDN cache will have a role in XF Cloud? If it does, make sure XF Cloud instances can leverage CDN-Cache-Control and/or Cloudflare-CDN-Cache-Control response headers https://blog.cloudflare.com/cdn-cache-control/ :) So even if you don't use Cloudflare, but end user does, XF code served from XF Cloud could control Cloudflare CDN cache better without need for end user to set CF page rules/cache rules themselves.
Nothing to announce at the moment on the CloudFlare front :)

Hello,

If a customer already has the different XF licenses and wants to migrate to XF Cloud, what happens to these licenses? Will you offer a service to easily resell them?

Thanks.

Top Bottom