XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The benefit is ease of use and less destruction when writing post/long content. Having bb-codes all over the place makes editing and posting quite difficult for newbies, and even for old folk when it's involved in very long posts (Article style).
I don't see any difference when using a rich text editor as most people don't deal directly with the underlying code.

newbies, and even for old folk
As stated, even if the feature existed, it would be under the strong guidance to never allow it to anyone you don't "trust".

You're basically talking about allowing anyone to copy and paste anything from anywhere and allow it to retain HTML. Of course it is possible to do some element of filtering, but there would be no guarantees that would catch everything. And, by the time you start filtering something, there's already a very good chance you break the output so it no longer looks how one intended anyway.

You say having BB Code all over the place makes editing quite difficult for newbies. On the contrary, HTML is also extremely difficult for newbies. Think of all those different elements that exist in HTML that don't exist as tags in BB Code. At least with BB Code there is only a very small subset of generally easy to read and use tags. This makes HTML much less user friendly than BB Code.

However, we digress. This thread is about What's Next for XenForo. HTML in posts isn't it. So if you'd like to make a suggestion, please do so in the appropriate forum.

On this HTML/BBCode matter, I was feeling the pain of writing any of these in RTL languages where due to mixed text (RTL language text, LTR English tags, and the symbols that can behave either way), bi-directional flow is very annoying and you can't easily realize where is the opening tag and where is the closing one. I found Markdown to be very nicely behaving in such cases, but it is very limited in number of possible formatting options (unless fallback to using HTML). Some extensions to Markdown might allow custom BBCode like flexibility though. Here is a good read about it.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty surprised if this is ever implemented. If it is ever absolutely required then it should be on heavy lockdown to select userid's. I'd say this should be a third party mod, and not a core feature because it will damage forums.

That is not a valid URL and has no indications on plans and new add-ons would be announced. The focus is on 2.0.

I would note those posts are nearly 3 years old. The RM looked and functioned a lot differently then. I don't actually recall them being called that explicitly, but blogs are updates.

I would note those posts are nearly 3 years old. The RM looked and functioned a lot differently then. I don't actually recall them being called that explicitly, but blogs are updates.

Just as an added bit of info, the URL changed from blog to update in the first week of February 2012.

Ahhh!! And here was me getting all excited :( Slightly dissapointed but totally understandable. I'm looking forward to XF 2.

A blog addition would be kinda cool, even though the members of the big board I used to run largely ignored the feature. Go figure... I think the way vbulletin implemented blogs (and social forums) failed to integrate them adequately with the main software; hence they were pretty much useless, except perhaps as a way for vb to gain extra revenue.

A blog addition would be kinda cool, even though the members of the big board I used to run largely ignored the feature.
Running a big board either, I agree, our users didn't show much interest in blogs. Anyway, blogs should be optional as an addon. I don't expect them to be part of an update.

What I hope to see in a 1st digit update, are more likely basical things. Our Users are very happy with XF1.4.x. But our moderators (we have ~50), still do miss some features and conveniences, they were used to have in vBulletin.

I think "blog" add-on would be a waste of time, not many interested in that. I don't understand the point of having a "blog" on a "forum" where you expect people to comment on your "blog" which they can easily do on the "forum" in your "thread."

Some other more important features should make the cut.

I don't understand the point of having a "blog" on a "forum" where you expect people to comment on your "blog" which they can easily do on the "forum" in your "thread."
I see a very good architecture in resources. Discussion of the resource - is a topic of the forum. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom