XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a reminder, please post suggestions in the suggestions forum. It's clearly an exercise in futility in stopping people from posting them in this thread, but they will have a better chance of consideration when posted in the correct forum and "voted" on (like the suggestions you're interested in).

As a reminder, please post suggestions in the suggestions forum. It's clearly an exercise in futility in stopping people from posting them in this thread, but they will have a better chance of consideration when posted in the correct forum and "voted" on (like the suggestions you're
interested in).

Just going to quote what Mike has already said. If you wish to debate the merits of certain suggestions, you should do so in the appropriate threads.
The off topic posts have been removed.

Haven't been here for a while.. looks like this thread got some volume, which is good (or not based on the last page I read). Anyway, IPB did some smart moves by breaking their entire platform to "modules". You can basically use their base module to build whatever you want, not even operating a forum. Meaning, I would be glad to see an XF framework that can be used for many things, not just forums.

In addition I hope that XF 2 would move to a more advanced WYSIWYG editor, meaning pure HTML without bb-codes. This for sure will break many things, but this is what a complete (or near that) rewrite is about. BB-CODEs are really not used in any platform anymore except for old codes. Most new editors don't have that anymore.

Have happy holidays everybody, and I hope 2015 would be exciting for the entire XF community :)

In addition I hope that XF 2 would move to a more advanced WYSIWYG editor, meaning pure HTML without bb-codes. This for sure will break many things, but this is what a complete (or near that) rewrite is about. BB-CODEs are really not used in any platform anymore except for old codes. Most new editors don't have that anymore.

Where do they offer pure html for random end users? The reason bb codes exist is because it's not safe to provide html to random people on the Internet.

arn

Indeed. You almost certainly will never see HTML being used in the front end in XenForo.

Indeed. You almost certainly will never see HTML being used in the front end in XenForo.
I was wondering about that... as it can open a whole slew of problems allowing direct HTML into a post. You'll hear the "Oh, but WordPress does HTML in it's editor" routine - but WordPress doesn't allow it's editor to be used by the masses either. From what I understand, a GOOD HTML editor needs a very secure HTML filter or you are just asking to get it abused. There is a reason that most forums still don't use HTML editors.

Where do they offer pure html for random end users? The reason bb codes exist is because it's not safe to provide html to random people on the Internet.

arn
based on HTML. It doesn't mean you can actually use HTML tags in the editor itself. The main goal is to eliminate tags in the editor.

based on HTML. It doesn't mean you can actually use HTML tags in the editor itself. The main goal is to eliminate tags in the editor.
Again, you are going to need an HTML filter (like Joomla uses) and from what I understand it gets to be a bear to keep up with and needs to be updated when new versions of browsers come out (just one weakness I read of). There is a reason that HTML editors aren't in common use...

Bear in mind that Redactor is an HTML editor.

The implementation in XenForo has been heavily customised.

Bear in mind that Redactor is an HTML editor.

The implementation in XenForo has been heavily customised.
Right, and I understand why since version 1.0 operated with BB-codes and it could break many things. But 2.0 can implement the "original" redactor (I guess).

And many others, I'm sure.

But it is done so with the disclaimer that it should be disabled for security reasons unless applied to members you can trust. We don't need that disclaimer because we're not going to compromise the security of a forum by allowing anyone (even "trusted" members) to input HTML.

I'm yet to see any real benefit of allowing HTML in posts vs BB Code.

And many others, I'm sure.

But it is done so with the disclaimer that it should be disabled for security reasons unless applied to members you can trust. We don't need that disclaimer because we're not going to compromise the security of a forum by allowing anyone (even "trusted" members) to input HTML.

I'm yet to see any real benefit of allowing HTML in posts vs BB Code.
The benefit is ease of use and less destruction when writing post/long content. Having bb-codes all over the place makes editing and posting quite difficult for newbies, and even for old folk when it's involved in very long posts (Article style).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom