XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hover everywhere makes more sense to me

It's been a never ending debate... but fact of the matter is as compared to 10 yrs ago, now on an average 70-80% of forum users, use mobile devices to navigate the forums... unless, you have a Samsung Note 8, hover is simply not going to work on the mobile devices...

However, there could have been a different UX for "old-school" desktop users like you and me... but for the sake of uniformity, it was compromised... probably, one-day, an add-on would still do the trick... :)

Last edited:
However, there could have been a different UX for "old-school" desktop users like you and me... but for the sake uniformity, it was compromised... probably, one-day, an add-on would still do the trick... :)

Yeah, I get no joy from using forums on a phone, etc. Most of my forum users are actually on desktops, too. Maybe it's an older generation thing. I see it as a usability thing, though.

I'm 44 and started out on a 300 baud modem dialing in to WWIV BBSs. In most people's book nowadays, I'm nearing that "older generation"

I'm definitely for click/tap over hover. I spend a decent amount of time surfing on my phone.

I agree, this seems to be a step backwards in terms of usability. One of the big things that will stop me upgrading as I know my members will not like this loss of function.

We are running a forum for mobile developers. Still 80%+ of visits are coming from desktops.

I think that it is a mistake to prefer uniformity over usefulness.
It is trivial that if you hover over an element when browsing from the desktop then you will need to click on it when browsing from a mouse-less device.

What I do find confusing is that clicking on the tabs on the left (such as Resources and Members) take you to a new page while clicking on the tabs on the right opens a popup overlay.

What I do find confusing is that clicking on the tabs on the left (such as Resources and Members) take you to a new page while clicking on the tabs on the right opens a popup overlay.

I don't mind that, a click, but I do find it annoying that hover no longer works. Seems to be a step backwards in usability. (Just realised I said the exact same thing above!)

I think that it is a mistake to prefer uniformity over usefulness.
It is trivial that if you hover over an element when browsing from the desktop then you will need to click on it when browsing from a mouse-less device.

Totally agree.

I don't expect the controls in a motorcyle to function the same way they do in a car.

Heck, one of the first things that attracted me to xenforo was the hover features of the upper right user panel. Little things mean a lot.

Out of curiosity, is anyone's navigation menu not rendering in XF 2.0 Beta 7? Did a clean install, and the navigation menu is showing up as unordered lists.

Is it just the navigation or are there other issues? We've seen the default style get totally messed up if you use CloudFlare with the Minify CSS option enabled (looks to be a CloudFlare bug).

Is this a missing feature that will be implemented or am I missing something?

Can't set prefixes to "must choose prefix" anywhere across the forum or resources.

Is this a missing feature that will be implemented or am I missing something?

Can't set prefixes to "must choose prefix" anywhere across the forum or resources.
It is set on a per node basis. Edit your node and scroll to the very bottom (literally, the very bottom) and you'll see "Require users to select a prefix". For resources, off the top of my head, I don't recall if there is a similar option.

@Kevin Your right, maybe I'm just imagining that you could require prefix in XF 1.x... Thanks.
I'm taking a look now between my 1.5.x prod site and a 2.0 B7 test site and, yep, the 1.x branch of XF Resources has a "Requires users to select a prefix" option at the bottom of the category properties page. The 2.x branch of XF Resources has options for available prefixes but it doesn't have the require option. The guys may have missed it.

This is my first post after an absence of 2,5 years :oops:.

I could not find any other discussion to give feedback on the release of version 2.0 of Xenforo, so I guess this one wil do to say:

Congratulations on this milestone release(y)!

I am passionate about good UI/UX and the Xenforo 1.x branche already excelled in this area, compared to most other forum software out there. But I have to say... sometimes you only realize how things can be (even) better when you can compare it with something else that is better. This is exactly what Xenforo 1.0 did for the forum world. And now... Xenforo 2.0 is doing that (more or less) for Xenforo 1.0. Based on the already near excellent Xenforo 1.x UI/UX, this release clearly ups the UI/UX level again with substantial improvements . Really great to see.

Thank you developers and community for this achievement,

2-year-anniversary-image.webp

Last edited:
Grover said:
But I have to say... sometimes you only realize how things can be even better when you can compare it with something else that is better

But that is just it, you can't compare as it cost hundreds of dollars to upgrade. I personally wouldn't pay that sum just to see
if a product was better or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom