XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xenforo Ltd values consistency between mobile and desktop versus optimal experiences in each domain.

I doubt they are actually thinking like that, which implies a compromise of usability purely for the sake of consistency across devices, however I am sad that the result does seem to be rather in the direction of a such a compromise.

I believe consistency can be a very good thing and should be strived for, but never at the expense of useability. However the idea of consistency across devices makes less sense given that the way you interact with desktop vs mobile is not consistent right on the most basic level of mouse vs tap.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of XenForo and a customer but this thread was started 3 years ago and there still hasn't been an official release of XF 2

I agree with not rushing a product out before it's ready but 3 years is too much of a stretch. What's the main reasons behind the long delay?

It's not really a "delay". This is just how long it takes to develop a high quality product. And, there have been releases. Albeit mostly targeted towards developers. Nothing to stop anyone from trying it out themselves whether they're a developer or not. It's good for planning and getting a handle on some of the changes. If you don't want to do that, registering at the demo is useful, if you're not already: https://xf2demo.xenforo.com.

Here's a fairly long post. Not all of it is relevant to what you just asked, but it might provide some insight as to some of the reasons why things have seemed to take a while:
I don't mind feedback being blunt, as long as you don't mind me being similarly so.

Such a comparison is extremely short sighted and partly inaccurate.
  1. Development started in 2009, not 2010.
  2. The lawsuit kicked in about 18 months after development started, and by the time it reared its head, the software was just approaching Beta 1 so was practically finished.
  3. XenForo 1.0.0 was released just under two years after development began.
  4. That means it took two years to develop XenForo 1.0.0 vs the coming up to three years to develop XenForo 2.0.0.
So, how has it taken longer for three developers to develop XenForo 2.0.0 vs. the two developers it took to develop XenForo 1.0.0? Most people can appreciate and understand...

Quite simply, in 2009-2010, Mike and Kier were developing XenForo 1.0.0, whereas Mike, Kier and I are rewriting/developing:
While we're doing that monumental task, we're also supporting and maintaining all of the above. We're also fielding and spending time that should be spent developing answering questions such as this.

In the middle of the three years we're talking about, Mike and I took pretty much 4-6 months off developing XenForo 2.0.0 so we could release XenForo 1.5.0. Amongst all of this, we're still answering tickets, support questions on the forum, writing documentation for things and doing our best to keep people informed of where we are.

If you ever get the opportunity, install XenForo 1.0.0 some time and compare it side by side to XenForo 1.5.13. XenForo 1.0.0 was a XenForo that only had a fraction of the support commitments, a fraction of the functionality, a fraction (basically none) additional products to support. No responsive design. In fact, if you look through the Have You Seen forum from pages 1-4 you will see all of these familiar looking features that we're using extensively now that probably weren't even conceived in that initial 2 year development period. And when you're developing a product from scratch you have basically no customer expectations to meet, there's room to take an iterative approach to things and there's just basically no barriers in front of you.

We've held our hands up to the fact that the announcement was perhaps a bit early, and in an ideal world we'd definitely like to be further forward now than we are. But when you actually think about the absolute mammoth task that we've had in front of us, 3 years is really no time at all.

Finally, I'll quote something I mentioned recently on the demo. It's sort of relevant in terms of how far along we are:
Chris D said:
Ian Hitt said:
Just because somebody inevitably has to ask, do you have a rough idea of how many more dev releases there will be before beta?
I'll hesitantly say "not many".

Most of this release comes courtesy of @Kier meanwhile @Mike and I are primarily working on Resource Manager and Media Gallery respectively. Making good progress

Thanks for the detailed response @Chris D

We're only asking because we want to start using it yesterday because we know what a quality product it will be.

I was pretty critical of the look of 2.0 when the screenshots first came out, but I’m definitely liking the look of it now. It’s evolved a bit since those screenshots. Nice work!

Personally I'm just interested in where Xenforo 2 will take us as far as add-ons go. Pretty soon I'm going to learn php and wanted to create add-ons for the software at some point. As big a community as Xenforo.com has become it's very interesting to see how everyone pitches in and where this takes off.

I've also decided to make styles as well. Secured a new domain I plan on releasing at some point and really looking forward to seeing XF 2.0 unfold it's glory.

need mobile focused platform with apps that don't cost a ton

limited click uploads of images

message replying hitting enter/return should submit message

message replying hitting enter/return should submit message
It does in XF2 (Ctrl + Enter or Cmd+Enter).

If you meant as a sort of instant messaging type approach in Conversations then that and your other suggestions would be better posted in the Suggestions forum so they can be tracked properly.

Last edited:
The problem is that for me and my community Xenforo 2 cannot come quick enough now...

You are unfortunately seeing the success of your product and once you put it live on your own site, there was only every going to be:

I WANT IT NOW!

And telling members "some time later this year"; well lets be honest that is not good business - if you had no plan/timing of release you should not of put it on your site. And also you have a BUY IT NOW sign at the bottom of the forums, surely that is misleading???

It's like putting the most amazing looking sweets on the shelf in a candy store and telling kids you cant have them yet!

I am optimistic though, secretly you guys are going to do it soon (fingers crossed). And it looks amazing by the way!

Mick

The problem is that for me and my community Xenforo 2 cannot come quick enough now...

You are unfortunately seeing the success of your product and once you put it live on your own site, there was only every going to be:

I WANT IT NOW!

And telling members "some time later this year"; well lets be honest that is not good business - if you had no plan/timing of release you should not of put it on your site. And also you have a BUY IT NOW sign at the bottom of the forums, surely that is misleading???

It's like putting the most amazing looking sweets on the shelf in a candy store and telling kids you cant have them yet!

I am optimistic though, secretly you guys are going to do it soon (fingers crossed). And it looks amazing by the way!

Mick
Except, by putting it on their site, they are able to test it even further before calling it stable and having their customers try it on their live sites.

Except, by putting it on their site, they are able to test it even further before calling it stable and having their customers try it on their live sites.

So what was the point of the beta xenforo 2 forum they made?

Surely that was, as you say: "test it even further before calling it stable and having their customers try it on their live sites."

This thread was started three years ago, so I get the must get it right part!

I am just pointing out that once you show something to someone, dont be annoyed when they ask when can they have it!

Mick

Last edited:
The Alpha testing site was to ferret out things way ahead of time, likely because the changes to XF were major enough and feedback was encouraged for those who were willing to give it.

This site is the Beta - not that site. Technically this site is still an Alpha, or rather, an unreleased Beta for further widespread testing, performance monitoring, tweaking, wide-scale debugging, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom