XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
but your replies are non-committal and are aimed purely at undefined development but nothing said about what we can anticipate in regards to improvements in features,
Why do you think ChrisD (or anyone) has a final list of features they will make in the next 3 years? I don't think he "can" answer such a thing.

This is a crucial time...
This time, where people compare XF to competitors, is "always"

As it is the 'developers' preview of XF2 may be great for those coding, but for the rest it is meaningless and uninspiring
"Developers" preview.

Btw., about more addon features in the core: That's called "bloat". Nobody needs a double-memory half-speed Xenforo with hundreds of features most users won't ever need. And nobody wants to pay the increased price that is necessary to make such a bloat monster. The great thing about addons is the choice...

Last edited:
A short roadmap of what is to come would be encouraging - as it is there is nothing to whet the appetite and inspire. I understand that the aim is to get the core sorted and lay a great foundation, but what is in mind for to be built upon that foundation is unknown. This is a crucial time because people will be looking at your competitors (namely IPS) who are moving at a pace an including interesting and inspiring new features.
And last time I checked IPS also does not provide a "roadmap" of features. They provide announcements of what they have already coded.
I don't think any of the current forum scripts provide a roadmap of improvements/additions like what you would like to see.

The great thing about addons is the choice...

That & ease of getting what you want if it doesn't already exist which, if I picked up on the tech stuff correctly is even easier on v2. In fact there's stuff in the core we have add-offs installed to switch off!

Are developers truly happy with this update?

Im afraid many developers won't continue on with 2.0

What being done to alleviate this AND bring MORE addons and more talented add on developers into the XenForo fold?

Every single developer I've personally spoke to are, yes.

What being done to alleviate this AND bring MORE addons and more talented add on developers into the XenForo fold?
We're creating a platform which developers enjoy working with (including us!), and find easier to work with than XF1 (including us!).

Im afraid many developers won't continue on with 2.0

Yeah, sorry, this seems to be pulling fears and concerns out of the ether. I mean, why borrow trouble? Have you seen many comments from devs stating they're NOT happy with the update? Is there reason to believe that there's an urgent need now to alleviate these fears we have no evidence to believe exist? ;)

Hmmm - my licence is due for renewal for XF and I was debating whether to renew or not; your responses have made that decision very easy for me - I will not be renewing. You talk about a strong future but there is no evidence of that and a reluctance to even give some indication of what is to come leaves me feeling very cold towards that unknown future. I can't afford to run two versions of software which means I have to comit to one - I would have preferred to continue my support of XF, which has been there since its inception, but I will now be moving my support to IPS who at least share their vision of what is coming. Sad day, but then that's life.

(n)

Hmmm - my licence is due for renewal for XF and I was debating whether to renew or not; your responses have made that decision very easy for me - I will not be renewing. You talk about a strong future but there is no evidence of that and a reluctance to even give some indication of what is to come leaves me feeling very cold towards that unknown future. I can't afford to run two versions of software which means I have to comit to one - I would have preferred to continue my support of XF, which has been there since its inception, but I will now be moving my support to IPS who at least share their vision of what is coming. Sad day, but then that's life.

(n)
They do? Because it seems that no one knew what was coming in 4.2 until it was fairly close to release and had actually been developed.

They, like us, our only showing you what is in their immediate road map. For them it is 4.2. For us it is 2.0.

We've been clear from the beginning about our aims for XF2 and the demo and our various updates make it clear what to expect from it. When we have completed our immediate goals and it is time for us to work on 2.1 we will be similarly clear about what's next.

You talk about a strong future but there is no evidence of that and a reluctance to even give some indication of what is to come leaves me feeling very cold towards that unknown future. I can't afford to run two versions of software which means I have to comit to one - I would have preferred to continue my support of XF, which has been there since its inception, but I will now be moving my support to IPS who at least share their vision of what is coming. Sad day, but then that's life.

(n)
The vBulletin (and now XenForo) development team have generally been against publishing any kind of roadmap for over a decade. Actually they have provided more info leading up to XF2 than I expected.

They do? Because it seems that no one knew what was coming in 4.2 until it was fairly close to release and had actually been developed.

They, like us, our only showing you what is in their immediate road map. For them it is 4.2. For us it is 2.0.

We've been clear from the beginning about our aims for XF2 and the demo and our various updates make it clear what to expect from it. When we have completed our immediate goals and it is time for us to work on 2.1 we will be similarly clear about what's next.

So if i am understanding this correctly, xenforo 2 is the foundation of a brand new start, with a better system to help your staff and devs have a better working enviornment. Then in 2.1 xenforo will start to add more features that comes with the software. Some that might help some license owners with developing a more social media style website, and some that further more continues to help the license owners who want to stay on the forum/ community path.

Possible to be as big as a Facebook or Twitter by buying a $140 forum? I suppose it's possible. It's also possible to win the lottery.
To be honest, its not really about xenforo and it being $140.00 software, but its more on the individual who has that dream to make it happen. You can take xenforo and any other software and grind until you get to that level. It is all about that person or team making it happen. Yea you will have to spend more money to enhance the default xenforo site to bring in the attractive features to draw members in, but what xenforo has provided is a very suitable software for any one of us to blow up. You just need to be creative with this tool that was given to us to use. In fact my website is being built to be better than Facebook etc. Reason why its taking so long for me to launch cause i am adding features that facebook etc... doesn't have. I am being very creative with my brain storming on how can i bring something different and new to the table. Trust me this tho i bet Facebook and twitter etc, didn't start out with all those features day one. They had a base idea and software, then they added over the years. Might of got ideas and add-ons from devs just like the devs who make add-ons for xenforo. Basically it is not what you use, but how you use it is what i am saying.

Some that might help some license owners with developing a more social media style website, and some that further more continues to help the license owners who want to stay on the forum/ community path.
Well, I won't go as far as to detail what the future releases will contain, but it's important for everyone to remember the reasons we've stated for going down the route of an entirely new framework. We did mention it mostly in the context of add-on developers, but anything that benefits add-on developers also benefits us internally. Everything we've been working towards for the last 3 years or so is going to help us add more in the future.

Well, I won't go as far as to detail what the future releases will contain, but it's important for everyone to remember the reasons we've stated for going down the route of an entirely new framework. We did mention it mostly in the context of add-on developers, but anything that benefits add-on developers also benefits us internally. Everything we've been working towards for the last 3 years or so is going to help us add more in the future.
Oh i see, and to be honest i like that idea.

To be honest, its not really about xenforo and it being $140.00 software, but its more on the individual who has that dream to make it happen. You can take xenforo and any other software and grind until you get to that level. It is all about that person or team making it happen. Yea you will have to spend more money to enhance the default xenforo site to bring in the attractive features to draw members in, but what xenforo has provided is a very suitable software for any one of us to blow up. You just need to be creative with this tool that was given to us to use. In fact my website is being built to be better than Facebook etc. Reason why its taking so long for me to launch cause i am adding features that facebook etc... doesn't have. I am being very creative with my brain storming on how can i bring something different and new to the table. Trust me this tho i bet Facebook and twitter etc, didn't start out with all those features day one. They had a base idea and software, then they added over the years. Might of got ideas and add-ons from devs just like the devs who make add-ons for xenforo. Basically it is not what you use, but how you use it is what i am saying.
All that might be so, but my point is this: don't blame Xenforo and clamor for a gazillion new features to cater to your personal vision when it doesn't make you the internet's next big hit. (Not to say you personally are doing that, but speaking about people in general.) Also, remember that FB and Twitter might have started as good ideas but they had to have investors to succeed. Twitter sprang from Odeo, which investors had already put five million into - stock that Evan Williams bought back for undisclosed millions. But yeah, coming up with that great idea is the first step. Good luck!

Last edited:
All that might be so, but my point is this: don't blame Xenforo and clamor for a gazillion new features to cater to your personal vision when it doesn't make you the internet's next big hit. (Not so say you personally are doing that, but speaking about people in general.) Also, remember that FB and Twitter might have started as good ideas but they had to have investors to succeed. Twitter sprang from Odeo, which investors had already put five million into - stock that Evan Williams bought back for undisclosed millions. But yeah, coming up with that great idea is the first step. Good luck!

I do agree with that. If you are a person who wants to develop a website to be the next big thing, you need to put in the work to make it happen. I see xenforo as a starting point, and a very good one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom