XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't give away an IPB license for a reason. As much as I dislike a few things in XF 2 they are the future imo.

Was page 140, now page 142.

New visitors to this thread will never see the 10 smart posts in this thread. Buried forever.

Forum software in 2017. The last software to have unthreaded threads. Keeping them for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe the success of Xenforo 1.0 allows them to rewrite things now while vB lies in tatters on the floor.

Was page 140, now page 142.

New visitors to this thread will never see the 10 smart posts in this thread. Buried forever.

Forum software in 2017. The last software to have unthreaded threads. Keeping them for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe the success of Xenforo 1.0 allows them to rewrite things now while vB lies in tatters on the floor.

I have had no problem following this thread. Maybe go find a threaded software where it benefits you more?

Well, I won't go as far as to detail what the future releases will contain, but it's important for everyone to remember the reasons we've stated for going down the route of an entirely new framework. We did mention it mostly in the context of add-on developers, but anything that benefits add-on developers also benefits us internally. Everything we've been working towards for the last 3 years or so is going to help us add more in the future.
What were the "big limitations" for extending xF1 ? Is there a top 3 issues that in retrospect were not ideal ?

From a users point of view xF 1.x had less addon conflicts than vB 3/4. Less slowness issues as well. XF1's strength seemed to be it's extendability.

What were the "big limitations" for extending xF1 ? Is there a top 3 issues that in retrospect were not ideal ?

From a users point of view xF 1.x had less addon conflicts than vB 3/4. Less slowness issues as well. XF1's strength seemed to be it's extendability.
And the same will apply to XF2. Even more so. There's always room for improvement. We've spoken plenty about some of the factors that took us in the direction of needing to make improvements. Here's just one of the comments we made on that:
What are the goals of 2.0?

A major goal of 2.0 is one that is technical in nature: improve developer efficiency. While this might not be a new feature itself, it benefits all development going forward.

If you develop with XenForo 1.x for a while, you begin to see how much boiler plate and repetition there is. You begin to see that it's a pain to get access to data or even know if you have the necessary data available where you need it. And if you don't have that data, things just don't work as expected. Fixing this is a very important part of 2.0 and it involves fundamental changes to some of the lowest level code in XenForo, notably models and data writers.

Further, there are significant changes to code organization to improve code reuse (or reusability) and to help add-on developers apply additional changes to existing code more easily. There are plenty of examples of developers struggling to get new fields in existing forms to save properly due to the code organization of XenForo 1.x (specifically the controllers). This has now been re-approached to remove these problems in as many cases as possible.

Complex processes have been reorganized into distinct objects, improving readability and extendability, while also allowing the code to be used in more contexts than before.

So even though these may not be new features directly, these changes are necessary to ensure that speedy development can continue in the future and that add-on developers can make the changes they need with minimal interference from the core.

New visitors to this thread will never see the 10 smart posts in this thread. Buried forever

Our forums rarely generate such long threads. As a sporadic visitor (can go months without looking - based on need) I do find it hard to work through a thread like this if I come across it late. I haven't actually bothered on this one. I'll admit that. The native app for XF thread was a recent one I read end to end.

First off YOU have a top 0.1% forum.
Great job.

Dunno if you're taking the piss or not! Easy either way - we're small fry but happy. ;)

Not up on some of the lingo - this is linear? Facebook is threaded? What forum platforms use threaded? Interested in seeing it in operation

Not up on some of the lingo - this is linear? Facebook is threaded? What forum platforms use threaded? Interested in seeing it in operation

I think they mean the view you get when you look at sites like reddit (e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/67mxe8/perfectly_laid_pipes/). Can be usefull at times, but I would prefer the current view. Nobody needs to see whats written on the first 100 pages of this long thread anyway, because most of it is outdated by now.

IPS have only been giving news on upcoming features for the new release since March. It's April.
Exactly... and as I said in an earlier post I have seen no "roadmap" released by IPS as they've been burnt before and learned. They announce the "new additions" as they are released/coded/implemented the same as the "Have You Seen" topics here.
I don't know how long @Davyc has been dealing with IPS, but I've been with their script since their 4.0 release fiasco. It's taken them 4.0 and 4.1 before they have started implementing the "features" that he's talking about. He apparently had unrealistic expectations of what the 2.0 release of XenForo was going to be and/or failed to pay attention the the official statements of what the target goal was.
Hell, with IPS 4.0 we LOST features that were available in the 3.x line (many of which we STILL haven't gained back). At least the XF crew are working towards feature equivalency.

As i see it, i just think everybody who wants to add information on what they would like to see in Xenforo 2 should just do that. If everybody just bulleted a list of features they think would be beneficial to the growth of xenforo that would help everybody. I think if we all keep going back and forth about this stuff is not helping.
  • Give the staff here at xenforo your wonderful ideas.
  • This will also give devs the opportunity to see these ideas so they can start working on them as well.
  • Supply resources ( websites, screen shots, videos etc./ which provide EXAMPLES of features you wish to be added.
  • Understand xenforos Direction and how it may be or not be the software for you
  • Also don't forget to ask if certain features can just be done with Xenforo in general. If it can be added, then find out if xenforo will make it core or you have to pay an Developer to create it for you.
To be honest, I like xenforo, and want to see if xen2 do really well. Yes i want my website to have more of the social networking site features, but i understand what i am dealing with here @XenForo. I am getting a core foundation where i can build from. So when xen2 comes out, i am going to first see if it works with all of my features i already have set up. Then when i have my board set on xen2 correctly, i will start to add more of those social networking site features if it can be added. I'm pretty sure the staff here at xenforo is but soooo big. Plus they have their normal lives that they are living. So with them developing the new xen2 to allow devs to really have an easier time with helping the overall xen experience grow is totally fine in my book. The only difference is that you have to spend more money to get the features you want instead of getting them in the core of xen2 at launch. Hey thats life and why not spread the money around to keep everybody happy and growing with this community.

• Please do not get rid of member cards tho lol
  • Would love to see a better friend, follow system
  • Would like to see the user upgrade system actually turned into a store and have a better visual appeal to it.

As i see it, i just think everybody who wants to add information on what they would like to see in Xenforo 2 should just do that
Not in this thread, though.

XF2 is essentially feature locked (and has been for some time, despite some new things creeping in occasionally) and suggestions that are made anywhere other than the Suggestions forum will just get lost and therefore not receive the attention they deserve.

If you have feedback regarding a change we've already made, it's best to post in the Feedback forum on the XF2 Demo.

If you have an actual suggestion, then please post it in the XenForo Suggestions forum (after verifying it hasn't been suggested before).

If you have Suggestions, please make them in the Suggestions forum here.

If you have specific feedback related to something already announced for XF2, that's what to use the demo for.

I don't see this about how it looks.

I see the problem when it comes to functionality, Xenforo is getting outdated. For example, at this era of how things work on the direction software is taking... Things like live-updates, live-threads well, navigating through one thread without having to load in every page... are expectable and part of today's web.

What path does Xenforo seem to take? It stays locked to the old ways of how things work because that's how they have worked for decades. Same goes for vBulletin and IPB, no wild and fresh approaches to it.

The original point of xF was always that new, fresh look different from how vBulletin and IPB looked and worked, a simple, fast and more social approach to communities, people liked it, I think perhaps they lost the ideology that made xF attractive when it first appeared?

Live threads, live updates require a ton of servering power. Most Xenforo website owners are not likely to have the budget to run a large group servers powerful enough to support live updates like Twitter.

This argument bothers me a little. These days hosting is cheaper than ever.

If you're starting a new community and you fork out $140 for XF, $30 for a theme and $30 for your first months hosting, that's $200 right there with zero add ons.

You then spend days or weeks tweaking your forum, making it perfect, just right for your niche. It looks beautiful, it's perfect, now you just need the users. Great, you go out, start promoting, people sign up, you get a little initial buzz. But then it starts quieting down, users aren't visiting as often. They're not re-engaging.

Why aren't the conversations flowing as quickly as on other social networks you've been visiting? Why aren't users interacting and with each other as fluidly as on facebook? Why is that facebook group on a similar topic so damn active and thriving compared your beautiful feature rich forum?

Because it's missing some of the key features that are vital for helping smaller communities to grow quickly. Features that are implemented by these big networks because they work and make them a joy to use.

Are you telling me you're happy to spend all that money on forums software and skinning, and all that time and opportunity cost sunk into creating your forum only to skimp on an extra $10 or $20 a month because hosting is too expensive for features such as live update and video upload that will help drive posting and give your forum that extra chance of success?

Or would you rather just take forum software as it is today and give it a go, with a much higher chance of your new site failing because it's missing these features that every other modern web app is using? But hey, at least you saved $20 a month for the 6 months you tried to make your site work and now the site is dead and you have nothing to show. You're cool with that, right?

Large forums with momentum and dedicated user bases don't necessarily need all these features, and yes if you were to make everything live on a big board you'd need some serious freaking hardware. So you should have the option to configure or turn off resource heavy features like that. Many big boards may feel they don't need them at all.

But smaller, newer forums need the option for features like these because users simply expect them, it's what they know and are accustom too on all the big sites they use daily. They really do increase engagement, driving growth at the critical early stages. All this live crap isn't just marketing, it works.

If those features aren't available and newly registered users don't stick around because the software feels outdated and don't have the feature to re engage them promptly using the modern web technologies they've grow accustom too, then they will leave to use facebook groups, subreddits, what's app groups, or any other modern community software provided by the big boys that do utilise these live features, and have polished, fast, reliable feature rich web and mobile apps.

It's the smaller forums that are losing out here and failing. The barrier to entry to create a community based on the hosted codebase of big social media site or other community platform is so low these days, members will just abandon your site and make their own community on one of these other platforms, and likely do pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom