XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I base it on facts reported to me by my users
Well many of us here are reporting based on their own experiences on mobile devices as well as other users.

I'm not questioning the greatness of content, however grammatical errors are higher due to mobile user not willing to scroll thru their content to edit and correct errors.
It seems that PC users aren't perfect either:

;)

This has probably already been covered somewhere, but I'm wondering how much source code XF licensees have access to. I still haven't taken the plunge yet so I don't know. Is it all the code or only some of the code? Or none? Is it different for XF2 than for XF1? The reason I'm asking is because I imagine there are some who either code their own customizations or hire people to do that. I have coding experience myself, mainly of a different kind, but have dabbled with PHP slightly before with some success, so I could even imagine possibly wanting to tweak something here and there personally or at least try. (Or maybe this question belongs in "pre-sales"?)

It's a PHP application, hence it's completely open source (that doesn't always imply "free", of course). It is possible to encode and obfuscate PHP code, but there's no point in putting that barrier in people's way. We want people to see the code, learn the code, and write their own customisations for the code.

Where's the problem with that? :)
Request: "Admin, please change my user name" ... Admin changes the username, done.

Can you imagine a site where users can change their usernames willy nilly? You'd never know who you were talking to or dealing with.

Where's the problem with that? :)
Request: "Admin, please change my user name" ... Admin changes the username, done.
The point is automation. Like the report system. As a user, you send in a request through the system, and it's either accepted or denied!

Or allow the user to change their own name, if they have the permission node.

Or allow a moderator to accept and deny the name change request, if that moderator has the permission node. So that the moderator doesn't need access to the admin panel for users simply to allow a name change.

Can you imagine a site where users can change their usernames willy nilly? You'd never know who you were talking to or dealing with.
Could you imagine a website where users could just post in a thread willy nilly without an admin manually posting for them? You'd never know what they might say. It's called automation!

Not everyone runs a Xenforo website of ~20 active members talking about motorcycle traveling on the interstate, where the admin is everyone's personal friend.
Some community administrators, ones that run or plan to run larger installations and bought Xenforo for that purpose, need ease of use for their members and automation for the admin's sanity. It's what some people in part bought Xenforo for!

:giggle: I hope Xenforo 2.0 builds in a function for users to change their name, either by request or permission.
It's not happening in 2.0 but I believe there is already a suggestion regarding it in the Suggestions forum.

The merits of such a suggestion should be discussed there, not in this thread.

Could you imagine a website where users could just post in a thread willy nilly without an admin manually posting for them?

Isn't this exactly what normally happens? Obviously there sometimes needs to be moderation but on my forums this is what we do. I know there are addons that create fake users, or even forums whereby the admins create fake user accounts just to make their forums look busy. I don't like that idea at all.

Im sure you realize that forums normally are all about posting in threads, while they normally are not all about changing usernames... ;)
If forums were only for creating and posting in threads, without any added features, then we wouldn't be buying Xenforo over an open source free-forum software... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom