XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not happening in 2.0 but I believe there is already a suggestion regarding it in the Suggestions forum.

The merits of such a suggestion should be discussed there, not in this thread.
Second request: Please let's cease with the off topic conversation.

Xenforo is the best forum software.
Depends on the need of the site honestly.
For strict forum needs it is one of the better. There are requirements of some sites that extend beyond what is offered as 1st party add-ons (or built in) with XenForo (or even quality 3rd party) - but on those scripts I really miss the power that XenForo offers.

There is a difference between the two. Unregistered is guest users and unconfirmed is users that haven't completed email confirmation.
True. In XF 1, permission of both status is merged and can't be set to different.

For example :
In XF 1, i can't make unregistered can't search, but unconfirmed can search.

For example :
In XF 1, i can't make unregistered can't search, but unconfirmed can search.
I don't believe this is the case. I've just checked this by setting a test user to unconfirmed/unregistered (with no other user groups) and the search was unavailable to them.

Where can we download the ai add-on for XF2? Or is it in the core? ;) :p
We don't need search, That's so XF1. Just serve them what they like. :D

@semprot Is there a point in splitting it?

In an ideal world, people won't ever need this because they will either stay a guest or accept the mail confirmation immediately. (There are those who get the mail but never come back, they don't need it either).

If someone does not want to register for whatever reason, but wants the additional possibilites of the Unconfirmed status, he/she could just fill out the form with nonsense data. Takes about 10sec. With splitting the permissions, you're basically inviting people to do so because they can gain something out of it.

... that was the bad part, what's the good part?

The good part is, for example, that you're able to show a friendly notice to people who have not yet confirmed their mail, explaining probable causes and linking them to the resend confirmation mail functionality. If you have non-tech-savvy users of mixed age, you won't believe how often you encounter people who need that extra bit of support.

The good part is, for example, that you're able to show a friendly notice to people who have not yet confirmed their mail, explaining probable causes and linking them to the resend confirmation mail functionality. If you have non-tech-savvy users of mixed age, you won't believe how often you encounter people who need that extra bit of support.
We're off topic now, (again), but that would basically be doable with the notices system. Problem solved.

I'm sure the answer must be in this long thread. But I ask: At which stage of xf 2.0 development coders can start develop addons for xf 2.0?

Any NodeJS with XF2?
Seems highly unlikely – Node won't run in PHP-based shared hosting, so using it would change XenForo's minimum requirements to be a VPS (and the technical knowhow to set up both PHP and Node, and make them interact properly). All that wouldn't really gain them much real advantage, to be honest – there's not enough that Node does over PHP to make it worth it.

Indeed. Besides, there's nothing really to stop add-on developers from utilising something like Node for specific usage. We confirmed a while ago that the only JS framework involved in XF2 is jQuery (version 3.1).

Seems highly unlikely – Node won't run in PHP-based shared hosting, so using it would change XenForo's minimum requirements to be a VPS (and the technical knowhow to set up both PHP and Node, and make them interact properly). All that wouldn't really gain them much real advantage, to be honest – there's not enough that Node does over PHP to make it worth it.

NodeJS is the future but that's my opinion but I understand your point of view and hoping to see some plugins based on NodeJS like a chat system but Siropu is working on it and some websocket plugins to increase performances.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom