XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Phrases already mostly support HTML but there are cases where HTML won't render in phrases due to us having to escape the output where the phrase is used. This is usually related to security, however, and therefore unlikely to change.

Only time I've encountered this and have actually had an issue with it is on the error pages. What is the reason for sanitizing phrases there?

Sometimes error messages can contain user generated content or content that comes from a potentially untrusted source. This actually changed not too long ago. See XF version 1.4.10.

I'm personally excited at the chance to review my Add-ons and improve them. I did the same thing when porting things from vBulletin to XF 1.x, and it was pretty satisfying to improve things here, cut out redundancy there. If I'd have had a drinking game every time I thought, "wtf was I thinking doing it this way", I probably wouldn't have survived long enough to complete everything.

You can use it to do ternary conditions, call template functions (phrase() is a function, as is link() and what you may remember as helpers are now generally functions too) or even string concatenation and calculations, e.g.

Thanks Chris, one more question: does this mean we can use a variable in a phrase now? ie:
{{ $thing.id ? phrase('edit') . ': ' . $thing.title : phrase($newWordForCreate) . ' ' . 2 + 2 }}

No, but that's an intentional design decision, as phrases are pre-compiled into the templates. By not allowing this directly in templates, we're making it explicit that this can't be done (which isn't good for performance, comparatively at least).

If we were going to do threads/posts per page, why would it be defined per usergroup?
For those of us who offer upgraded memberships having it defined per usergroup would be really nice, no different than any other site access defined by usergroups. At this point though I would take would I could get, thanks for your consideration Chris.

Last edited:
I would like to see some attention given to on page SEO.

What I see are simple things, like a lot of needless links (for guests) and a lot of words that are repetitive and mess with things like keyword density.

For example. Each post in a thread has 3 links to a profile and 2 links to the individual post itself. (plus all the alt text for those links)

Untitled.webp

That's a lot of links on a page and a lot of text which has zero to do with the thread content. Here's how webmaster tools sees one of my sites:

Untitled2.webp

If this kind of stuff was more limited for guests, SEO would be improved. That's just a few simple examples of things that could be improved--

I would like to see some attention given to on page SEO.

What I see are simple things, like a lot of needless links (for guests) and a lot of words that are repetitive and mess with things like keyword density.

For example. Each post in a thread has 3 links to a profile and 2 links to the individual post itself. (plus all the alt text for those links)

Totally agree!

Why was "views" or something similar my top keyword when my site is not about "views" - and this is for all my forums, not just the site that actually has "views" in the domain :)

For example, the words comments and views don't need to be repeated on every node. They can be placed at the top with the numbers under them, if the numbers are really needed at all. Numbers to me are like a webmaster's bragging rights. What if we focused less on stats and more on showing content?

Another thing I don't like is this image below - there's plenty of room to move that right section over so we can display full titles. But instead, by default, it's completely blank in the center of the viewers screen. They're so used to looking in the center with all social media sites, that when they come to our sites it looks empty.

Why do forums neglect the center of the screen on the page that determines what users look at?

There has to be a better way to present content.

Because it's turned into a very detailed discussion and veered away from XF2, I've moved the forums/Facebook/social media-type discussion to a dedicated thread: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-future-of-forums-vs-social-media.114387/

But it's a completely relevant conversation as it pertains to how the development for a big release can be done in a way that pushes XF in a direction that may be able to one day compete with big timers, and also sheds some light on the concept of evolving the forum to be possibly more than just a forum.

All of that can be altered with conditional statements in the relevant message template...you could do this yourself?

Could I? Yes, and I will. However, why not include it stock and make the forum a little better SEO wise out of the box? Especially for those new forum owners who don't know about SEO or conditional statements, etc.

Its just about paying a little attention to SEO when putting XF 2.0 together.

in my opinion hasn't announced XenForo 2.0 yet.
LOL.
Really ?
Blindly sticking up for something is fanboyism.
So by your definition, the announcement of 2.0 will be when they link to the download ? Wow.

Maybe I'm crazy, but am I the only one who is completely satisfied with XenForo 1.x?
It's the best forum ... Ever !

But it's 5 years old and we want more.
But instead are just waiting for XF 2.0 to have feature parity with 1.0.
Not exactly exciting.

It's the best forum ... Ever !

But it's 5 years old and we want more.
But instead are just waiting for XF 2.0 to have feature parity with 1.0.
Not exactly exciting.
Don't speak for me or anyone else. You say "we", but that doesn't include me (it's always best to speak for yourself). I'm happy with 1.x and will continue to be. Once 2.0 is out I'll be happy with that too I'm sure. I'm just willing to wait more than others I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom