XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an Off Topic forum which is probably more appropriate to discuss the ideology of client management so please continue that discussion there.

This thread is for discussion about XF2.

Then give us something to talk about!

Lets start with what approach XF 2 is taking with mobile and hot it will differ from XF 1!

Sure, it's nearer than it was two years ago. ;)
Given the scope of the changes, there is probably another 6 months to 1.5 years of development time before they have a releasable alpha/beta.

Remember; they need to update every official add-on too.

Reactions: rdn
It's my understanding that XenForo 2.0 is a complete rewrite, not some half baked "refactoring" that another forum brand is doing.

Assuming my understanding is correct, it means it takes a lot of time to ensure we are reaching a rich feature set and stable environment.

It's my understanding that XenForo 2.0 is a complete rewrite, not some half baked "refactoring" that another forum brand is doing.

Assuming my understanding is correct,
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating."
There are only assumings for a long time.

I like how you can do stuff like this in XF2:
Code:
{{ $thread.thread_id ? phrase('edit_thread') : phrase('create_thread') }}

In XF1 the equivalent would be:
Code:
{xen:if '{$thread.thread_id}', '{xen:phrase edit_thread}', '{xen:phrase create_thread}'}

Edit: Before anyone wonders whether I have access to an early build of XF2, or even any of the code, I do not. I took that from Mike's post here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-2-0-development-updates.113262/#post-1044323

Last edited:
It is Twig-like but ultimately our own system.

Variables can still be enclosed in single braces e.g.
Code:
{$myVar}

But for richer syntax we have double braces. The syntax that is usable inside these braces is somewhat PHP-like.

You can use it to do ternary conditions, call template functions (phrase() is a function, as is link() and what you may remember as helpers are now generally functions too) or even string concatenation and calculations, e.g.
Code:
{{ $thing.id ? phrase('edit') . ': ' . $thing.title :  phrase('create') .  ' ' . 2 + 2 }}
You can also construct arrays, use comparison operators, and use bool and null values and that kind of thing.

It ultimately makes for a much more consistent, powerful and sometimes clearer syntax.

Indeed. Phrases already mostly support HTML but there are cases where HTML won't render in phrases due to us having to escape the output where the phrase is used. This is usually related to security, however, and therefore unlikely to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom