XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.
Really ?
Blindly sticking up for something is fanboyism.
So by your definition, the announcement of 2.0 will be when they link to the download ? Wow.
LOL - really.

Your sister and your brother-in-law tell you that they're planning on having a baby. That's not an announcement, it's a heads up. They may want to give you time to get used to the idea of being an uncle, or an opportunity go online and Google where babies come from. Or maybe they're just excited and couldn't resist telling you their plans. It's not an announcement until they show you the ultrasound or tell you the due date.

Ditto XenForo 2.0. I can't tell you why it was revealed when it was - to create buzz, garner feedback, give add-on developers a heads up, or just because Team XenForo was too excited to keep it to themselves. But it's not an announcement until they run the first Have You Seen 2.0, start running 2.0 on the official site, or announce a release date. IMFO (In my fanboy opinion). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sometimes guys, it pays to have feature parity in the first release of a major upgrade and sexier features in the 2.1 release.

It leads to a more stable and reliable platform. Too many forum apps try to turn the world upside down in a major release resulting in a forum app that's completely buggy and unstable.

I remember vaguely another forum software that was rushed into production without feature parity. Very exciting indeed :D

Beein' there and seein' that, I do prefer Xenforo to do 2.0 in a non-exciting way (for now).

if you are referencing Visual Basic, not so sure about the feature parity. But there was plenty of "undocumented features" and "presents for criminal hackers".

To exceed far past ANY other forum software, and perhaps even SAVE an almost extinct beast (forum software) 2.0 should come with a mobile app option. ;)

To exceed far past ANY other forum software, and perhaps even SAVE an almost extinct beast (forum software) 2.0 should come with a mobile app option. ;)
As an add-on option no different than the gallery or resource manager. That way it would "possibly" pay for itself for maintenance - for those that want to use it.

Mobile app has to work on: iOS, android, windows phone, blackberry, Ubuntu mobile thingy, and apple watch and android watch... Etc etc

Right... And when a user says something doesn't work... You have to extract what and where.

As you can tell I don't care for mobile apps. The responsive design is easy to modify and unify amongst all platforms.

Maybe others have more time and more ability to spend mastering each platform.

A mobile app is only useful if it's going to have some functionality or uses that aren't possible or are clearly inferior when compared to an elegant responsive design. With everything involved with the creation of an iOS and Android app, from engineering, testing, getting it into the Play Store/App Store, etc, I'd rather see all that time an energy focused on the core web product. That's my two cents, though. :)

A mobile app is only useful if it's going to have some functionality or uses that aren't possible or are clearly inferior when compared to an elegant responsive design.
Indeed. That's the point. Until responsive design takes advantage of sharing media to XF and PUSH notifications straight to the phone (without the need to install the pushover app or opening a browser) and various other mobile functions, an app (if implemented well) will trump responsive design.
However, there is a major problem with apps for customized xenforo boards. AFAIK a standard app will not display 3rd party addons or customization. To me wrapper apps with responsive design seem best.

I think the best of both worlds would be if Apple, Google and Mozilla hurry up with bringing proper push notification support to their mobile browsers. I think they've begun to make progress with this. Arguably, then, a mobile app is going to provide very little by way of additional functionality if you have a site that loads entirely in your favourite browser, notifies you when there's something new going on, and is designed in a way that is super friendly and usable to both the smallest and the largest touch screen devices.

Alas, this is probably a discussion for another thread (of which there are several that discuss apps and push notifications). As some people have already noted, a mobile app is beyond the scope of XenForo 2.0 and it would be a separate thing if it ever happened, so it is somewhat off topic for this thread at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom