XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it be fairly easy for 3rd party developers to upgrade their add ons to 2.0? I would hate to see, that all these great add ons for version 1 get outdated, and the only option is to completely rewrite them.

It's a major code change, there will be breaking changes as already stated.

Mike and I aren't even in a position to describe the extent of the backward compatibility breaks at this point (although we know that they will be extensive).

You mentioned framework, is Zend still a part of that?
I remember reading somewhere where Mike or Kier said they wanted to move away from Zend
One feature I would like to see is an option for the moderator usergroup to be able to BAN MEMBERS without needing to make them part of the Administrative usergroup. :)
I agree. Best we can do is create a special warning that have the points necessary to generate an auto-ban.
Is there going to be there a system similar to Widget Framework add-on ?
I remember reading somewhere where Mike or Kier said they wanted to implement a better way to manage our sidebar content so that's probably going to happen in 2.0.

Reactions: Rob
I think talking about 2.0 before releasing 1.4 or even close.. is sort-of jumping the gun. Not that I'm complaining, it's just a bit soon.

Otherwise: Bring it on! :)

I think talking about 2.0 before releasing 1.4 or even close.. is sort-of jumping the gun. Not that I'm complaining, it's just a bit soon.

Otherwise: Bring it on! :)

I'd say if they didn't want it spoken about, some attention brought to it, etc.... the XF team wouldn't have posted this and stickied it.

I think it's a great move for them to generate some excitement, get some interest to those that might be on the edge...

Great to hear this is on the horizon

The fundamental changes I would like to see:

* Complete and easy separation of code and static assets which will enable delivery from separate hosts (eg images on S3 for example) - a big essential for very large forums - right now I have to jump through a number of hoops to make this happen
* Out of the box support for running on HHVM - actually almost there now, but elasticache doesn't work, which is more to do with the underlying Zend framework.
* Read only database option
* A bit tied in with the above, but I can see a NoSQL database option giving a big performance boost, and it would replace memcache.
* Support for updating code on a server farm
* An option for a twitter style auto-updating reverse date posting layout where posting is expected to thick and fast (eg whilst following a sports contest)
* Mobile phone alert mechanism where forum owners wrap the forum into a bespoke app.

and the feature which I think is nearly impossible

* A decent user manual :)

* A bit tied in with the above, but I can see a NoSQL database option giving a big performance boost, and it would replace memcache.
* Support for updating code on a server farm
Using NoSQL would epic, however, do you think the typical cheap datacenters like most xenForo customers use would implement NoSQL to support it on their shared hosting packages?

Add: I have seen NoSQL and read about it, although, I have not played with it to know how it functions.

Last edited:
I'd love to do this, but how many XenForo customers do you suppose have access to the necessary long-polling webserver? Trying to achieve it with Apache or similar would have apocalyptically bad consequences.

In addition to my previous post, XenForo is already checking for new posts when you save a draft. It shouldn't be too hard to set a configurable timeout and check for new posts within a thread. I know at least 1 forum product that works that way.

That's bad. Very bad...
Oh i dunno.. depends on the type of apocalypse :D I'm prepped and ready for a zombie one. Can see the headlines now -

XenForo 2.0 brings on the zombie apocalypse

At 2pm today, Xenforo released their latest and greatest update to their software. The excitement caused people (and servers) to expire and return to life as the walking dead. Their intent? To take out all forums run on any other software.
I'll get my coat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom