Xen Notices [Deleted]

Hey @Chris D...

Is this feature from Notifications available in Xen Notices:

Time to hide notification when close is clicked (days)

I prefer that over how it works in XF default floating notices (whose cookie resets on browser restart).

I'm still using Notifications but maybe upgrading to Xen Notices if that feature is available...

The first thing to note is that there is no longer a distinction between closing and dismissing a notice. There was far too much confusion about this. So that's gone and good riddance!

Temporary dismissal is still cookie based for guests just like XF 1.5 notices, this is not configurable.

For members, we now have the automatic notice reset feature. So users can dismiss notices as usual but they will be automatically reset, meaning the notice will be reshown until they are dismissed again.

The first thing to note is that there is no longer a distinction between closing and dismissing a notice. There was far too much confusion about this. So that's gone and good riddance!

Temporary dismissal is still cookie based for guests just like XF 1.5 notices, this is not configurable.

For members, we now have the automatic notice reset feature. So users can dismiss notices as usual but they will be automatically reset, meaning the notice will be reshown until they are dismissed again.
Sorry I'm stupid.

So basically the answer to my question is no?

What I wanted is to have the ability for guests to dismiss/close (click x in the top right corner of the notice) the floating notice, which sets a cookie for x days during which time the notice isn't shown again. Or, if there's no option to set a time duration, it can be hidden "permanently" via the cookie.

Now, as I understand it, in XF 1.5 Floating Notices (and now apparently in Xen Notices), when a guest clicks the x in the top right corner of the notice, the notice will be re-shown when the guest restarts their browser.

I'd rather the cookie hides the notice beyond browser restart.

OK... too bad it isn't possible.

Yeah basically. Suggestion noted, though. I'll see if it's possible to extend the behaviour for guests but I'm guessing it isn't.
You did it? Ability to control cookie duration in the latest version?

Just confirming before moving away from Notifications to Xen Notices.

THANKS! Yay.

Yep :)

It works slightly differently to how it did in Notifications, still, though.

The main difference being how notice dismiss cookies are stored as a single cookie, not a cookie for each notice. This may be possible to override in the future, but for now what it means is that if this value is set to 7 days, and a guest dismisses a notice, then in 6 days time they dismiss another notice, both those notices will remain dismissed for an additional 7 days.

You can have Xen Notices and Notifications installed side by side, so I guess you just need to verify it will work how you want it before moving your notifications over to notices.

Hi Chris, thx for the nice update. I was wondering if i can make a notice for example like a welcome back notice after a member re-login. And only showing after login and not popup after a refresh or random siteclick.

Just basically what is described in the Resource description:
Feature Summary
  • Permission controlled management of notices on the front end
  • Edit your notice content with a proper HTML editor, powered by Redactor
  • Additional tokens for replacement inside notices including {board_url}, {board_title}, {page_title} and more
  • Easy custom styling of floating notices using the XenForo colour picker
  • Display a floating notice every day showing "Today's Birthdays"
  • Automatic notice reset system. Allow your notices to be automatically reset every X (hours|days|weeks|months)

Thanks, a nice way for birthday notices is interesting, would this work with sending them a congratulatory message as well?

I have already install notifications 1.8.1 from 1.4.x and after upgrade to 1.5 seems to work.
Do i have to install xen notices? Are there any pictures to see the differences between them?

I have already install notifications 1.8.1 from 1.4.x and after upgrade to 1.5 seems to work.
Do i have to install xen notices? Are there any pictures to see the differences between them?
Xen Notices integrates with the existing Notice system. It has pretty much all of the functionality of Notifications (plus some improvements like the birthday notice). I have installed it and uninstalled Notifications. However, you can actually run both add-ons to see if you are have to switch to the new one.

@Chris D I have just installed Xen Notices on my test setup and have run into an issue. Under the old notifications system when a guest dismissed a notice it was dismissed until the browser restarted. With Xen Notices (even if cookie dismiss duration = 0) the notice is displayed on every page refresh even if dismissed. If I disable Xen Notices and use XF 1.5 notices only it works as expected, ie browser session.

Has anyone else reported this?

@Chris D I have just installed Xen Notices on my test setup and have run into an issue. Under the old notifications system when a guest dismissed a notice it was dismissed until the browser restarted. With Xen Notices (even if cookie dismiss duration = 0) the notice is displayed on every page refresh even if dismissed. If I disable Xen Notices and use XF 1.5 notices only it works as expected, ie browser session.

Has anyone else reported this?
Actually I've just noticed the same thing now that you have reported it. My guest notice which is dismissable reappears on every page load on my site for guests. When Xen Notices is disabled, it disappears for the session.

Actually I've just noticed the same thing now that you have reported it. My guest notice which is dismissable reappears on every page load on my site for guests. When Xen Notices is disabled, it disappears for the session.
Exactly the issue I am seeing.

Top Bottom