Working on a Site Locally

wickedstangs

How can you move a site to my server to work on locally? I have a full cpanel backup of a site that is still live. Before I move it, I would like to attempt an upgrade. Its a SMF forum which I like to upgrade to vB then to Xenforo. Hope I explained this correctly.

You don't have to have the CPANEL backup.. Basically all you need is two things:

1.) Database Dump (SSH is the best way to do this)
2.) Tar.GZ of your forum/ directory.

Do you actually have a local "server" or are you using XAMPP to run it on your PC?

I'm running local copy on my PC in XAMPP and it works perfect (exact copy of my live site).

You don't have to have the CPANEL backup.. Basically all you need is two things:

1.) Database Dump (SSH is the best way to do this)
2.) Tar.GZ of your forum/ directory.

Do you actually have a local "server" or are you using XAMPP to run it on your PC?

I'm running local copy on my PC in XAMPP and it works perfect (exact copy of my live site).

I have a knownhost VPS but, the site is at bluehost.com I did a cpanel backup and installed it fine on my server.

I had to edit my "hosts" file to see it .. When I try and do the upgrade to VB it takes me to a broken URL...

I started to run XAMPP and got errors and decided not today..:)
xampp.webp

Xampp2.webp

Last edited:
My XenForo forum is located here on XAMPP

C:\xampp\htdocs\forum

Launch phpMyAdmin by going to the Admin button on the MySQL row. create a new Database by going Users --> insert Username, Password, and check create database ( BLUE X).

php-2.webp

Does the database you create locally in phpmyadmin have to be the same name of the database you're uploading?

If the database is large, it'd be easier to use the command line to import it.
If not, you'd need to increase the php file upload limits to import via phpmyadmin

Code:
; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
; http://php.net/upload-max-filesize
upload_max_filesize=2M

Found the above in the php.ini file

Top Bottom