How to setup xenForo locally on a Mac?

LOL! its been 14 yrs since i tried doing it locally the last time around... have a memory fade... thanks for all the help guys...

Already installed sequelpro, create a new database > import from the downloaded file after sometime get the following error...

seq-error.webp

Last edited:
For testing xenForo on my mac to check various add-ons before installing on live website!
Honestly, I would not use any of the above mentioned options (unless I missed a virtual host solution above).

Get yourself a virtual environment (VE) (parallels, VMware, virtual box is free), install your linux version and stack being used in real-time onto your VE and do everything that way. You're local on your computer, but testing in the same environment and will experience the real issues you would on your server. You can even use a dynamic dns service if needed to test load your install for some bots.

Thanks! but after spending two full days, i am already all setup and ready to rock! my domain is up and running on my localhost... :)

OK.... Now, the next issue is setting up the .htaccess which is not visible on the localhost, and url rewrite is not working... giving following error message:

Not Found

The requested URL /xf/threads/reinvigorate-this-site.49693/ was not found on this server.

:(

By the way, next time just use tar on the remote box with compress query to get the xenforo directory in 1 file, then on your mac just use tar with decompress option to unpack it. Will save you so much time :)

@Chris D

Sorry to bump an old thread...

As suggested by you, everything seems to be working fine on the localhost...

I am running the xF1.5.x flawlessly on PHP 7.2.

Now, I can also log into the xF2.0.2 adminCP and do everything... but i simply cannot log into the admin user on the forum on the localhost... I am continuously showing up as a guest user... i have tried to login multiple times... cleared all the cookies but no luck ... any clues?

** Edit ** just realized, it's happening only in FireFox ...

Top Bottom